Flyers preview are they the worst team in Hockey?

yave1964

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Still have to win the lottery. Doesn't guarantee anything. 

All you can control is what you can control....the rest is in the Hockey Gods hands right??

We know they have not favored the Flyers well lately till maybe Michkov and yet even now you can't fully count hat even as a win yet when you sit here and weigh it...

7 hours ago, radoran said:

Guarantees a top three pick.

Finishing 7/8 you either win the ~5% chance for the top pick or you pick 7/8.Cellebrini

Right, but after Cellibrini it's kind of all up in the air. Not a deep (almost) sure thing draft like this year was.  Right now 6 or 7 could be just as good or better than 2 or 3. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

All you can control is what you can control....the rest is in the Hockey Gods hands right??

We know they have not favored the Flyers well lately till maybe Michkov and yet even now you can't fully count hat even as a win yet when you sit here and weigh it...

imo no maybes about it. Michkov was second best player in this draft and will be a star. We won this past draft after Chicago. 

7 hours ago, radoran said:

"Won the Trades"?

Does the phrase mean nothing?

The Flyers win drafts. They win trades. They win everything but playoff rounds.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

Oh quit trying to find the negative in everything. 

This is a reboot/rebuild commencing with Fletcher's firing. So far they have taken steps forward from that pit of despair. A couple trades fell through but they made the big subtractions they had to make and they got a shiny draft pick. It's a start. Wait for something bad going forward before dumping on them.

7 minutes ago, CoachX said:

optimism in a small moral victory gets magnified

Bingo!  There is nothing wrong about being optimistic and hopeful for the future of this franchise, but when that sense of optimism becomes, as you say "magnified", then the reality of the situation, for some, tends to become skewered.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

Oh quit trying to find the negative in everything. 

This is a reboot/rebuild commencing with Fletcher's firing.

Ya, we actually heard this from some when Fletcher was hired.

Like rad mentioned, until they ice a great product, they haven't. There are some good signs, like getting rid of Fletchers greatest acquisitions (or most thereof) but there's also the ex-Flyer hired who then goes on to hire more ex-Flyers which has won us squat in decades upon decades upon decades. It was great Michkov fell into our lap. But until he actually plays for the Flyers it's just hope and nothing concrete. I'm all for the rebuild, but I'm not going to pretend they're doing great things. 

• Like 3
  • Good Post 1
  • Uggh... 1

5 hours ago, pilldoc said:

He's not wrong ......  just saying .....

Talk is cheap .... Time to see meaningful success on the ice.  I fully support support Briere and the rebuild.

(and this is not directed at you) ...but TOO many fans thump their chest about winning trades / drafts / FA signings .....it don't mean a thing until this team starts, to again, begin the process to start winning games on the ice consistently.

No, it's not "wrong" but it's tiresome and depressing to keep whining about "the last 10 years". The past is the past. It's gone it's over. It no longer matters.

There's no point in going on and on about it. I mean you probably should have asked that hot girl (or guy, no gender assumptions here) out back in high school but you didn't, so your life is what it is. Can't turn back the clock. We have won the cup. That's no longer relevant either. This is just now. Is what it is. 

Sure, I want to see things on the ice too. But you have to be realistic and because of Fletcher it's going to take time. We subtracted, we changed. So, if the team looks unified this year and plays hard, looks like a team, and the younger guys progress, and we are any amount of better than last year it's progress and I'm good with it. 

Positive just makes your life better. Try it. 

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Like rad mentioned, until they ice a great product, they haven't. There are some good signs, like getting rid of Fletchers greatest acquisitions (or most thereof) but there's also the ex-Flyer hired who then goes on to hire more ex-Flyers which has won us squat in decades upon decades upon decades. It was great Michkov fell into our lap. But until he actually plays for the Flyers it's just hope and nothing concrete. I'm all for the rebuild, but I'm not going to pretend they're doing great things. 

Nobody said they were doing great things. 

But again, the past is the past. IF you have an issue with what they've done so far in the rebuild by all means air that beef. Talking about 10 years ago though is pointless. 

2 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

Positive just makes your life better. Try it. 

This is true.  Or, so I've been told enough that I believe it must be.

3 minutes ago, GrittyForever said:

No, it's not "wrong" but it's tiresome and depressing to keep whining about "the last 10 years". The past is the past. It's gone it's over. It no longer matters.

The problem is that I'm to the place of "show me."   

The reason for this is that when the Flyers have "changed" previously I was conditioned by literally 30 years of the variation of a theme of crap.     Coach X is hired but has a track record and I'm told history is not pre-amble and "see what he can do here!  He hasn't coached a game yet!"   Stunningly, history is preamble.    Substitute "coach" for player or GM and the same has repeated.     Or a player doesn't have a bad track-record but he's now way past his prime but signed for 25 year old money and expectations.   "Stop being negative!"   A year later?  The same person who told me to not be negative is complaining louder than I am.

No, I'm not always right.    It was late September 1988.   Some girl fell in my lap and I thought she was awesome.   I married her a couple years later.   30 years later, man, it kind of balances out all the times I was (accidentally) right!

I'm actually bullish on Danny Jones and am okay with most everything done so far.   Things I'm not so sure about, I'm only not so sure about--I don't hate them nor have a burning desire to scream, "this is going to blow up!"

Torts could end world hunger I won't like him.   But for the time being he's not even on my radar as a concern.   From my vantage, he's surprisingly right for the moment.   But winning the cup or even competing for it isn't on my radar, so it's patience time so long as things are heading in the right direction--and despite small nagging concerns, I believe they are.

So, I'm kind of in your boat about the "positive" but I don't believe the last 10(PLUS) years no long matter until they actually don't.    So far so good, though.

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Exactly.

And when Hextall was hired.

And when Clarke stepped down...er...up...er...oh, whatever...

When Lavvy, Berube, Hakstol, Vigneaut...

And when each of the last (what is it?) 72 goalies arrived.

And one-skate boy.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GrittyForever said:

The past is the past. It's gone it's over. It no longer matters.

The past certainly does matter .......  when one continually fails because they fail to learn from their past mistakes then it certainly sets them up to fail again.  Briere and company have to prove that they are able to learn from those past mistakes, until then talk is cheap.  

We as fans have been bludgeoned to to death on how "this" time it is going to better ... See: Hextall, Ron / Berube, Craig / Hakstol, Dave / Fletcher, Chuck / Vigneault, Alain  .... the message gets old and stale.

We have not won anything yet ......   As I mentioned before in other posts, for the first time ever, this organization has admitted it needs to do a full on rebuild.  Briere admitted as such and that is a POSITIVE point which I fully embrace.  However we as fans need to see some type of progress on the ice .....  That is not being negative.  That is just being realistic.

As @ruxpin stated in his post .... talk is cheap ... I too am now in the "Show Me" stage.

I actually "LIKE" Briere and at least the notion that this will take time .....  For now there is air around this franchise of actual and meaningful positive change.  However, one cannot simply gloss over the past especially with Homer / Clarke / Barber and others still taking up residence at the Wells Fargo Center and collecting their SS checks.

So, if the team looks unified this year and plays hard, looks like a team, and the younger guys progress, and we are any amount of better than last year it's progress and I'm good with it. 

I'm not denying any of that .... matter of fact I fully embrace it  and that is the positive BUT...they have have to prove it on the ice.

I mean you probably should have asked that hot girl (or guy, no gender assumptions here) out back in high school but you didn't, so your life is what it is. Can't turn back the clock

Actually I did twice in HS, and once again right out of college .... biggest mistakes of my life.   So yes the past does matter. Had to wait until the right time and now I have a wonderful wife of 18+ years and 2 fabulous kids.  :) 

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

There's no point in going on and on about it.

I just noted that they were really happy about "winning the trades" like you are about winning a draft with a player who probably isn't even going to play for three years.

Meanwhile "lost the draft" Chicago had Bedard score in one game as many goals as the Flyers team managed in two.

Again, I'm perfectly fine with where they are and where they're going.

I got myself a new hat when Tippett got his hatty because my old one's now in a display case in the Big Bank Building.

As if you have anything at all to teach me about being a fan.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

2 hours ago, GrittyForever said:

the younger guys progress

Speaking of positive Emil to take off as a star could/would be huge...got some jam to him from Tort's is good to hear...

:beer:

...sorry for the positivity...

...back to the sky is falling or the sun will never rise again comments...

• Like 2