**** 2023-24 MINNESOTA WILD GENERAL SEASON THREAD ****

TropicalFruitGirl26

Adam Beckman being called up.  Meh at this point.  He hasn't been as good this year as he was last year for Iowa.  I can't imagine him having a big impact in Minnesota.  

In other (sigh) worthy Wild news, I guess Russo reported the team says it's going to come back and push hard for the playoffs when they return to action on Wednesday against Chicago.  This team can't even fail right...

Hopefully the push for the playoffs talk is just talk. 
I get it, they can’t come out and say “we’re going to tank this year “.

But they can say we’re going to make a push for the playoffs and then fail. 
Hopefully they fail really well. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

In other (sigh) worthy Wild news, I guess Russo reported the team says it's going to come back and push hard for the playoffs when they return to action on Wednesday against Chicago.  This team can't even fail right...

I read that and it basically is the same thing they've been saying all year: We've got to play better. Well, duh.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

Maybe it's time people start booing this team when it wins...

I do not think that will ever happen in Minnesota. Any wins are welcomed in the State of Hockey.

On 2/6/2024 at 8:26 AM, IllaZilla said:

I read that and it basically is the same thing they've been saying all year: We've got to play better. Well, duh.

Kris Letang said the Pens are not committed to winning. It sounds like the Wild are on the same path.

9 hours ago, notfondajane said:

Kris Letang said the Pens are not committed to winning. It sounds like the Wild are on the same path.

Unfortunately the Wild are committed to winning. They just don’t have the talent to do much. 

They’ll probably do just enough to get into the playoffs and then flame out. Or just miss the playoffs and get a 15-20 pick. Continue the cycle of mediocrity and the “Wait ‘til NEXT season!” mantra…

Edited by IllaZilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IllaZilla said:

Unfortunately the Wild are committed to winning. They just don’t have the talent to do much. 

They’ll probably do just enough to get into the playoffs and then flame out. Or just miss the playoffs and get a 15-20 pick. Continue the cycle of mediocrity and the “Wait ‘til NEXT season!” mantra…

Pens just lost to the Islanders 5-4 in overtime. They are looking to get to one of the top 5 picks. The players want an early tee time. Like as soon as game 82 ends. 

Pens traded this years 1st rounder to obtain Eric Karlsson. (This pick is top 10 protected.)from San Jose. They will forfeit another year 1st rounder if they finish 23rd or lower. I suspect the Pens will trade Jake Guentzel to replace that years pick. Yet this organization is starting to really pissing me off. 

29 minutes ago, Jimtown guy said:

Not sure what kind of return a 39 yr old pending UFA would command overall, BUT, the Laffs ARE hurtin for a steady goalie (they currently have Samsonov, whom they have shown they don't have the upmost confidence in, and Martin Jones, who has played well, but really, has never been viewed as the type of guy who takes a team to a Cup), so they might be willing to overpay a bit to get a goalie in Fleury who wants that one last Cup before he hangs them up.

TOR doesn't have much in the way of picks to give... a first and a third (that belongs to the Islanders) this year...they likely won't want to give up their first (or maybe BG can persuade them into that)....but, I tell ya what.....

Since he is further down on the depth chart on the deep Toronto forward units, I'd LOVE to get back in any sort of deal, Matthew Knies.
Big bodied winger that you guys on this board may know from his one season with the U of M, that seems to have the chops to stay at the NHL level.

Toronto has him playing all over the lineup (including sometimes as a winger for Auston Matthews), and he would instantly be a regular top six guy on the Wild, and should provide the nice combination of strength and scoring that Wild fans were expecting, but disappointed with, from a guy like Jordan Greenway.

Under normal circumstances, I'd say Toronto wouldn't be too keen on trading a 21 yr old with lots of potential still, like Knies, but if they want that Cup, I don't think they can seriously rely on Samsonov or Jones to get that done, and they might need to give up a very good young player to get a goalie that can push them to a SC Finals.

I can dream anyways.
Knies would look very nice in MN green, gold, n red. 

17 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Not sure what kind of return a 39 yr old pending UFA would command overall, BUT, the Laffs ARE hurtin for a steady goalie

The Leaf have been hurting for a steady goalie since Curtis Joseph left.

• Like 2

I'm rather ambivalent about whether they trade Fleury.  If he wants to go; let him go.  It would probably help the Wild slide out of contention which would be nice instead of its delusional attempt to scratch and claw their way back in.  

If Marc-Andre Fleury would like to go for a better team, then I would prefer to see Samsonov here. He is not a bad goalie at all.  His stats are 13-4-6 in 25 games despite of his GAA 3.19. His contract practically is the same as Fleury has.

Normally I'd disagree on the Wallstedt thing; but Iowa isn't going anywhere this year.  I don't really think he has much more to gain by staying there.  I'm not in a hurry to see him here, but if you deal Fleury that's the likely scenario as Tomdog points out.  

Perhaps the more pressing question this week is whether the team will bring Khusnutdinov over now that his KHL season is done and give him a chance to show what he can do in Minnesota.  Or will it be lame Guerin rationalizing, he has to show he's earned the opportunity...to be scratched while we watch #89 and #90 do jack freakin' squat out there.