Game 7: Minnesota Wild at Philadelphia Flyers; 10/26/23 @ 7:30, ESPN+/Hulu

Howie58

Would Minnesota be considered a "good team"? 

103 points, I think that's good...I know they made the playoffs and they were eliminated by a good Dallas team in the 1st round. 

Not sure what that says, bad draw stylistically or Dallas is just better.

Are the Wild considered to be a threat in the West or are they in that second tier of teams that would need to get hot and go on a tear to get to the final?

103 points is not nothing.

The Flyers whipped their asses last night. 

There were 10 minutes around the end of the 2nd period and the beginning of the 3rd where the Wild pressed and made it a contest, briefly. 

Then the Flyers shut the door with 3 unanswered goals. 

Buccigross ended the ESPN telecast saying the Flyers are fun to watch, and better than people will be expecting. 

If the Flyers wind up being "ahead of schedule" what do we think that means at the trade deadline? 

Personally don't think they should be buyers, but does Danny Jonesy® stand pat? do they sell anyway? I think selling is a bad message to the youngsters, but we aren't making s'mores and singing Kum Bye Ah here either.

I think this will be an interesting hockey season for this team.

That was a good outing, Farabee is looking like a potential leader, Ol' Foerester looks like an NHLer to me, nice back checking and good little 5-foot plays to keep plays going or get them started. Bobby Brink got on the score sheet, I think he gets better from here. Tippett blew a seed past the Wild goalie to ice the game, he's been on the come also. 

They might not be ******.

39 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Would Minnesota be considered a "good team"? 

103 points, I think that's good...I know they made the playoffs and they were eliminated by a good Dallas team in the 1st round. 

Not sure what that says, bad draw stylistically or Dallas is just better.

Are the Wild considered to be a threat in the West or are they in that second tier of teams that would need to get hot and go on a tear to get to the final?

103 points is not nothing.

The Flyers whipped their asses last night. 

There were 10 minutes around the end of the 2nd period and the beginning of the 3rd where the Wild pressed and made it a contest, briefly. 

Then the Flyers shut the door with 3 unanswered goals. 

Buccigross ended the ESPN telecast saying the Flyers are fun to watch, and better than people will be expecting. 

If the Flyers wind up being "ahead of schedule" what do we think that means at the trade deadline? 

Personally don't think they should be buyers, but does Danny Jonesy® stand pat? do they sell anyway? I think selling is a bad message to the youngsters, but we aren't making s'mores and singing Kum Bye Ah here either.

That was a good outing, Farabee is looking like a potential leader, Ol' Foerester looks like an NHLer to me, nice back checking and good little 5-foot plays to keep plays going or get them started. Bobby Brink got on the score sheet, I think he gets better from here. Tippett blew a seed past the Wild goalie to ice the game, he's been on the come also. 

I still hope they're sellers. I'll give credit where it's due - they're playing well right now. That's the year 2 Tortorella effect. However, I still see a lineup with players playing out of position, relying on players that are past their prime or just aren't any good. The other interesting thing that Tortorella pointed out in his press conference last night is how does this team respond if they go on a prolonged losing streak? If they go on a 10 game losing streak (how many of those did we see when Schmuck Felcher was GM), are they going to be able to pull themselves out of it? I'm not convinced they can.

I also see some players with ridiculously high shooting percentages. Once those go down, we'll start to see what kind of team this is. Right now, the shooting is simply unsustainable and while I appreciate the heaters some are on, it's going to cover down to earth eventually.

In terms of movement, I'm good with seeing Deslauriers, Atkinson, Laughton, Staal, Sandstrom all go. I have no problems if they listen to potential Couturier deals, provided they are already out of the playoffs.

I'm not trying to crap on what they're doing because the truth is, Tortorella has worked in a number of younger players into the lineup (Brink, Foerster, Zamula) and he's getting results. At the same time, there's still a lot of work to do. It's too early in the season to determine whether they're ahead of plans or not.

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Good Post 1

22 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

I think Andrae getting more and, more important minutes in the AHL will help him tremendously.

Take advantage of his rookie deal and being waiver exempt.

If they didn’t rotate him a bit between Lehigh and Philly it would prove they still had no clue how to develop young players. Sending Andrae down doesn’t mean they suddenly “get it” but it’s a good sign and smart managing. He will get twice as much ice time with the Phantoms and for him that’s much better use of his development time. He’ll face plenty of challenges in the A.

• Like 1

I almost posted something like “When do we start losing, start looking like a rebuilding team?” but then I remembered…we’ve seen this movie many times before. Flyers start with a bang then fall flat on their faces.

The thing is it is different this year. They’re a young team - not sure how young compared to the rest - but they are playing a lot of young guys every night. So maybe they’re finally writing a new script. As long as they stick to it at the TD and don’t go into “just make the POs” mode. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I find it so difficult, being completely biased towards the Flyers, to really figure out whether a total rebuild is necessary. When I look at these players:

Konecny, Coots, Farabee, Tippet, Cates, (Laughton), Brink, Foerster, even Frost

I keep thinking this is a legit core group of guys. With Gauthier and Michkov hopefully being elite and above the rest, then we are talking. I dont know if I'm over evaluating all these names, but I hope im not. But again this is where the doubt creeps in due to severe biasness...

For me, the real doubt, and what the rebuild process for me constitutes is on the blue line, not at forward or at goal. At forward I feel we are several steps already into the rebuild phase, but the D is several steps behind...and those two groups need to be aligned. This new Sanheim can possibly fastrack it, along with York gaining more experience. Andrae is still a question mark, and Zamula will probably end up as a serviceable reliable 5-6 (which is fine). But we need to completely focus on the D if we want to have a chance to utilize/exploit the good work done at forward.

Am I totally off thinking we dont need a rebuild/tear it down at foward? Again a top nine of Konecny, Farabee, Tippet, Brink, Foerster, Cates, Coots, Gauthier, Michkov and even Laughton/Frost is pretty darn good no?

Edited by ctid
  • Like 1
  • Good Post 2

1 hour ago, ctid said:

I find it so difficult, being completely biased towards the Flyers, to really figure out whether a total rebuild is necessary. When I look at these players:

Konecny, Coots, Farabee, Tippet, Cates, (Laughton), Brink, Foerster, even Frost

I keep thinking this is a legit core group of guys. With Gauthier and Michkov hopefully being elite and above the rest, then we are talking. I dont know if I'm over evaluating all these names, but I hope im not. But again this is where the doubt creeps in due to severe biasness...

For me, the real doubt, and what the rebuild process for me constitutes is on the blue line, not at forward or at goal. At forward I feel we are several steps already into the rebuild phase, but the D is several steps behind...and those two groups need to be aligned. This new Sanheim can possibly fastrack it, along with York gaining more experience. Andrae is still a question mark, and Zamula will probably end up as a serviceable reliable 5-6 (which is fine). But we need to completely focus on the D if we want to have a chance to utilize/exploit the good work done at forward.

Am I totally off thinking we dont need a rebuild/tear it down at foward? Again a top nine of Konecny, Farabee, Tippet, Brink, Foerster, Cates, Coots, Gauthier, Michkov and even Laughton/Frost is pretty darn good no?

Agreed that the forwards are further along and the defense is a work in progress.

If they move Frost and get a defender in return (right handed preferably), that should help. Bonk is about 2 to 3 years away at a minimum and Attard is aging himself out of the prospect group.

The good news is that with two first round picks this year and with the draft being deep with good right handed defensemen, the Flyers should be able to draft one. 

I'm still on the bandwagon though that Gauthier will be a left wing at the NHL level, so they're going to need a top center prospect to balance things out.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Sanheim is on a whole other level. He gets it and he's made the jump. We should all be thankful Krug turned down coming to Philadelphia. Sanheim might just be worth that contact after all.

After I dumped in my keeper league! Natch

10 hours ago, ctid said:

When I look at these players:

Konecny, Coots, Farabee, Tippet, Cates, (Laughton), Brink, Foerster, even not so much Frost

I keep thinking this is a legit core group of guys.

Frost’s future with the Flyers is….uncertain at best. I’m sure he’ll get another crack at the lineup but I doubt he’ll do anything with it. He was always a long shot to make it as a 2C imho and if he’s not that then he’s basically out of possibilities. Maybe he’ll fetch something in a trade…