Game 9: Carolina Hurricanes at Philadelphia Flyers; 10/30/23 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Howie58

Just now, OccamsRazor said:

Well it was a rebuild but now making the playoffs has just to the fore front like we knew it was going too...

"God I hope not. This team needs more top end talent, not more of the almost a playoff team roster.

• Like 1

I haven't heard word one from anyone within the organization saying they're scrapping the rebuild.

Not one word, not one person with the power to change the direction has issued one utterance.

Just because the coach speaks about wanting to get points from the solid effort his players are giving changes nothing about where the team is.

Jonesy, on the record often says, we need a true  #1 defenseman to be thinking about winning. He's said he wants to build the organization in way that it will be competing for championships for many years. 

Daniel has said we're rebuilding and where we finish is up to the players. That's a challenge to the players. He's mentioned that he wants to develop players for their projected NHL roles. I don't see where anyone should be "getting a feeling" and that I should wait and see. This team got smoked by a terrible Anaheim Ducks team after playing pretty well for 10 days. This team isn't a 90-point team, they're better than I thought they'd be; but they were weighed and measured last evening by the chalk and they were found wanting. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

but they were weighed and measured last evening by the chalk and they were found wanting. 

But it wasn’t by all that much. I only saw the 3rd but besides getting owned in the FO circle it looked to me like the teams were evenly-matched. We know they’re definitely not so I guess it was just one of those games. But the Flyers - so far anyway- look much better than I thought they would.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well it was a rebuild but now making the playoffs has just to the fore front like we knew it was going too...

If the team happens to make the playoffs that's actually not necessarily a Bad Thing.

If they give away assets to do it, that's a problem.

If they scrap previous plans - Atkinson, etc. - that's a potential problem.

But if the squad goes out and out of the blue makes the playoffs, not sure where the problem is.

They cut a lot of dead weight to get here.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

14 hours ago, radoran said:

If they give away assets to do it, that's a problem.

If they scrap previous plans - Atkinson, etc. - that's a potential problem.

This is exactly my concerns and this is what will be the main issues...oh they have a chance now so they will be looking to add instead of staying the course and removing older/aging contracts.

But we'll wait and then we can say we told you so. And if i am wrong i will say so.

But they should be still fighting for a playoff spot AND  still moving guys out to get even younger....ie the Laughtons and Atkinsons need to be traded out as soon as they get some reasonable return for them.

We'll wait and see how it goes. I hope i am wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

oh they have a chance now so they will be looking to add instead of staying the course and removing older/aging contracts.

If they are BUYERS at the deadline, the New Era of Orange didn't even last a season.

They have five guys 30 or older. They're not going to trade Couturier (they just aren't), Seeler and Hathaway have minor value, I don't see a huge market for two more years of Deslauriers, which leaves Atkinson.

After that there's five guys older than 25 (plus Sandstrom).

There's not a ton of "old" to move.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

If they are BUYERS at the deadline, the New Era of Orange didn't even last a season.

They have five guys 30 or older. They're not going to trade Couturier (they just aren't), Seeler and Hathaway have minor value, I don't see a huge market for two more years of Deslauriers, which leaves Atkinson.

After that there's five guys older than 25 (plus Sandstrom).

Nothing we can do anyways except shout at the clouds!!!

Go Eagles!!!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Nothing we can do anyways except shout at the clouds!!!

Go Eagles!!!

Atkinson should be moved in the next month or two before he has another injury.

And Laughton (I won't say the nickname since it is banned on this board for some reason) should've been traded over the summer. 

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

This is exactly my concerns and this is what will be the main issues...oh they have a chance now so they will be looking to add instead of staying the course and removing older/aging contracts.

But we'll wait and then we can say we told you so. And if i am wrong i will say so.

But they should be still fighting for a playoff spot AND  still moving guys out to get even younger....ie the Laughtons and Atkinsons need to be traded out as soon as they get some reasonable return for them.

We'll wait and see how it goes. I hope i am wrong.

I don't think Jones nor Briere have any illusions about this hockey team.

Until they do what they've repeatedly said they will not, I'm not going to worry about it. 

I'm glad the team is competitive and guys seem to have improved with summers to train.

I'm glad the young guys are being encouraged and getting ice time.

I won't get all flapped up about the team being better than expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

It’s really not so I don’t expect many changes in the roster this year. Jones/Briere will probably be content with trading Atkinson, hopefully for a decent pick in the 2024 draft. Listening to them and Tortorella it’s clear they know this “work in progress” has just begun. Even if the Flyers find themselves in a PO race they won’t be buyers at the TD. If they are …. credit all 3 of them for pulling off a stunning display of b.s. the past 6 months. 

• Like 2