Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If you believe "NHL Morning Skate" on SiriusXM, Loughlin says Laughton (say that five times in a row) is in play.  I guess stranger things have happened.   They also said that if we eat an additional 50% (25% of the 8 million), somebody might take Johansen as 3C depth.  Let's see. 

I'm in on both deals.  That would be terrific.

However, as I said before, I haven't seen Briere move anyone that Torts likes yet.  And Laughton could've been moved over the past summer after being offered a 1st rounder.  That never happened & it's doubtful it will now.  I would love to be wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

If you believe "NHL Morning Skate" on SiriusXM, Loughlin says Laughton (say that five times in a row) is in play.  I guess stranger things have happened.   They also said that if we eat an additional 50% (25% of the 8 million), somebody might take Johansen as 3C depth.  Let's see. 

I'm sure he's "in play" but I don't see him going anywhere.

The additional retain concept on Johansen is an interesting idea... 😎

I see a few minor moves today, at best (from the Flyers).

22 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'm sure he's "in play" but I don't see him going anywhere.

I see a few minor moves today, at best (from the Flyers).

Normally, Danny seems pretty cautious in his choice of words.  But in the case of Johansen, he didn't mince words.  He made it clear Johnansen wasn't in the future plans and told him to stay put and effectively keep his bags packed. I can't recall that level of public disdain/contempt for a player from any GM.  

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

He made it clear Johnansen wasn't in the future plans and told him to stay put and effectively keep his bags packed

The trajectory of Johansen from $8M max length must have player to "might give you something if he costs $2M" should be instructive to most GMs.

It won't be, but should.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, radoran said:

The trajectory of Johansen from $8M max length must have player to "might give you something if he costs $2M" should be instructive to most GMs.

It won't be, but should.

A short-term cancer in the locker room who might chip in a goal or two might be worth it to somebody.  As a car salesman told me, "there's a butt for every car seat."  Shoot, even a seventh or future considerations would be better than the dead cap burden.  But what the hell do I know?

17 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Jets get Toffoli for picks...the Devils in permanent rebuild mode...something is seriously wrong with the Devils they should've been way better this year.

Their goal tending fell way below expectations 

Edited by pilldoc

15 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

something is seriously wrong with the Devils they should've been way better this year.

They had some injury issues, and have some serious questions in the crease, and they fired their coach, but they lack a type of veteran leadership that Toffoli simply isn't going to bring.

I like Palat, but he's not that sort, either.

OJT when it comes to leadership is a tough situation for young players in this league. Hischier is 25. Hughes is 22.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, radoran said:

What do mean by "additional?" -  you mean b/c the Preds retained half last year? And so the Flyers could retain some and trade him? Ugh I hope it doesn't come to that - doesn't Phoenix always need to make the cap floor?

@pilldoc @radoran

for sure the Devils had more than their share of injuries - and no question they had goaltending issues all year - still do. But with all that talent...and there is a ton of talented players on that roster right now - it just never gelled or got going... Ruff is heckuva good coach but even he couldn't make it work.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

And so the Flyers could retain some and trade him? Ugh I hope it doesn't come to that

It costs $2M to retain an additional 50%

It costs $2.85M to bury him in the AHL.

Floor's yours.

:hocky:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Aha now I see...so the numbers make sense then...trade away!

and a buyout makes zero sense I guess. But what fool GM is going to take him even for $2mil? Clock's running...

Buyout looks like $2.6M for two years.

Honestly, retaining the $2M for future considerations and a nice skate sharpener isn't a terrible idea.

• Haha 1

Just now, radoran said:

Honestly, retaining the $2M for future considerations

please enlighten me... what are the "future considerations" in a deal like that? I hear that phrase often enough but hardly ever know what it means.

22 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Their goal tending fell way below expectations 

They thought they had more in Akira Schmid than was there after he played so well in that short sample size in the playoffs than is there i think it cost him.

Not much there with him i think besides a cool name.

Having no backup plan besides Vanecek cost them big time.

Couldn't happen to a better club!:hehe:

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

when it comes to leadership

And that if that guy was Dougie Hamilton who has missed time with injuries you're screwed...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Not much there with him i think besides a cool name.

haha! Well now they have Daws trying to win games and he did play well against the Flyers in the stadium game. But he may another one where the name is his best attribute.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And that if that guy was Dougie Hamilton who has missed time with injuries you're screwed...

Couldn't agree more. I know he's big and he can skate but I was never sold on Hamilton. I always thought Nurse would've been a good fit for the Flyers...

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

But what fool GM is going to take him even for $2mil? Clock's running...

Yeah good luck with that it would have to be a last second desperate team in my mind where is Chuck Fletcher working at??

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

where is Chuck Fletcher working at??

NHL Hockey Central - special trade-day show on the NHL Network - just had him on. Chuck Fletcher live! Not a quick interview either but sitting at the table. Ugh Upchuck's sour puss ... I hoped I'd never have to see it again.

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

please enlighten me... what are the "future considerations" in a deal like that? I hear that phrase often enough but hardly ever know what it means.

generally, they're ephemeral and don't amount to much.

occasionally, there's a bigger deal involved that happens later.

this is more "addition by subtraction"

17 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well, and this comes back to when you "have to" sign a guy to $9M for eight years it might not be the best idea when it turns out he's not the right guy for the position.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I see in 4 years with the Sens he went from $821K to $835K AAV. Doesn't exactly scream "impact player..."

Nic Deslauriers replacement who can play center and cheaper and younger

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

something is seriously wrong with the Devils

Yes. They are the Devils

i fcking hate them 🤬

• Haha 3