Flyers 2023-24 Trade deadline moves/predictions

16 minutes ago, ctid said:

What happened to Ryan Johansen? I mean the guy is only 31, did he just forget how to play hockey?? Wasn't that long ago he was a top line C in the NHL

Lazy ass f***. 

• Like 1

Seems like maybe more things are going to be happening.

Even if it's nothing- one year where the team is going to be non-competitive with Floaty Johanson on the roster isn't going to kill anyone. 

If they resign him...Then I'll join the mutiny.

The maths of the waivers makes me wonder if something else is happening.

Edited by mojo1917

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Come on bro just look at the countless 30 year old shot blocking defensemen who have helped their teams win the Stanley Cup on 3 year deals...

🦗🦗

WTF was I thinking…..great move🧨

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Johansons contract is over after next year. Maybe we can dump him for something at the next deadline. I'm ok with this.

Nashville is still paying half his salary.

Preferred they traded him. But I can live with those terms. 4 yrs is long, but I guess they had to give that extra year to get him under 3mil

1 minute ago, ctid said:

Preferred they traded him. But I can live with those terms. 4 yrs is long, but I guess they had to give that extra year to get him under 3mil

What other choice do we have I would have preferred a 2 year deal.

2 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No really, we're rebuilding. 

So we sign a 30 year old to a 4 year contract. 

What a diabolical plan!!!!

4 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

No really, we're rebuilding. 

So we sign a 30 year old to a 4 year contract. 

The best partnis his no trade clause.

:DancingGrape:

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The best partnis his no trade clause.

:DancingGrape:

Somewhere, Chuck Fletcher, Junior B assistant coach for the Borneo Headhunters,  nods and thinks Well done, great signing. That's how you build a champion.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I said in the chat that's for a year longer than I'd have preferred. 

The full no trade clause is for the first 2 years, and he's not a bargain anymore.

He's going to be the 7th guy soon, he'll be fine in that role and I don't think his .aav will be crippling.

not wild about that 4th year though. In two years that's a tradeable contract. 

If he continues to be a guy Torts points to as an example for how to compete and be a teammate and if the lessons are learned by the talented youngsters, it might not be the worst thing. Dude wanted to be a Flyer, right or wrong I know that goes a long way with the Danny Jonesy. 

16 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

What other choice do we have

It's just lucky they signed the only defenceman who was still available.

What other choice did they have?

With a no movement clauses because double the length and triple the value of any other contract isn't enough of a commitment..

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Uggh... 1

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The full no trade clause is for the first 2 years, and he's not a bargain anymore.

I guess I need to go back to reading 101 …. Missed that….. not horrible but would rather not have it at all ….

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I guess I need to go back to reading 101 …. Missed that….. not horrible but would rather not have it at all ….

It's like the Tortorella plot armor wasn't enough.

Could be worse, could be "no movement"

Just now, ctid said:

Have a bad feeling that they are going to overpay for Chychrun. 

Yeah, I have a bad feeling that they are playing the "we're closer than we thought!" card.

"Retool" - we're definitely a playoff team!

Excitement. Ticket sales. Playoffs!

:hocky:

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I said in the chat that's for a year longer than I'd have preferred. 

The full no trade clause is for the first 2 years, and he's not a bargain anymore

He's going to be the 7th guy soon, he'll be fine in that role and I don't think his .aav will be crippling.

not wild about that 4th year though. In two years that's a tradeable contract. 

If he continues to be a guy Torts points to as an example for how to compete and be a teammate and if the lessons are learned by the talented youngsters, it might not be the worst thing. Dude wanted to be a Flyer, right or wrong I know that goes a long way with the Danny Jonesy. 

I think you nailed this. 

I'd prefer "What a great deal" or "genius move " or "this bodes well for the rebuild".... instead, as usual as Flyer fans, we get  "longer than I'd have preferred"...."full no trade clause is for the first 2 years, and he's not a bargain anymore"..."7th guy soon".."In two years that's a tradeable contract"..."If he continues (I threw this part in...to play like he did for the contract that he now has, guaranteed) it might not be the worst thing".

It's really not a ringing endorsement.

Ya gotta admit... this sounds like a Chuck Fletcher/Paul Holmgren/Bob Clarke signing. Minnesota. Check. Too long a term. Check. Over 30. Check. NTC. Check.

When you're already gauging how tradeable the guy you just signed is, it's not good.

Anyone know how many other teams are paying $7.7 million for 2 -3rd pairing dmen?

Anyway, back to the rebuild. 😉

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 3