Game 62: Ottawa Senators at Philadelphia Flyers; 3/2/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

The oddsmakers show the O & B as favorite (-133) with a computer-generated win probability of 57%:

https://www.playpicks.com/1262552/flyers-senators-nhl-preview-prediction-3-2-2024/

On paper, we have the better defense, they have the better offense.  Neither squad is great in the faceoff circle or on the PP:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/ott-vs-phi/2024/03/02/2023020962

Ottawa has taken the first two this year, putting up five goals in both games.  Maybe it is Giroux's revenge.  After last night's embarrassment, I expect an angry Flyers squad.  On the other hand, putting a rusty (at the NHL level) backup between the pipes could spell trouble.  The scouts in-house will be telling/interesting.  

Edited by Howie58
  • Thanks 1

That was a different epoch.  My take, sadly, is that other franchises realized this "paradigm" was over.  Our management didn't.  And we have paid dearly.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

Senators-Flyers 2004 brawl in Philadelphia still holds NHL record for most penalty minutes

https://apnews.com/article/flyers-senators-2004-brawl-4598492b93bf704e69ef981c51100b4d

that **** was CRAZY

one of the loudest, best, most fun games ever in the “new” building. We were lucky to be sitting close, sec 115 IIRC. Nothing compares to the Spectrum days but that was a night to remember. Glad to hear it’s still in the history books, probably forever too now that touching a guy’s gloves with your stick is a penalty.

The Flyers better scratch out a win or their PO plans will start fading fast…they probably already are. 

• Like 2

If they had a half way competent PP they could have put this game away after the first period. 

F**ckin amazes me they have done zero to address the PP!

• Like 2

How do you outshoot a team 20-4, and only have a 1-0 lead? Frustrating. Again, the Flyers need snipers and finishers. I would, as I said before, like to see Briere trade for one. As I type this, Tarasenko ties the game. 

• Like 1

Tyson Foerster, penalty shot. Nice acceleration and determination to get that step on the Sens d-man. He scores on the penalty shot!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

How do you outshoot a team 20-4, and only have a 1-0 lead? Frustrating. Again, the Flyers need snipers and finishers. I would, as I said before, like to see Briere trade for one. As I type this, Tarasenko ties the game. 

We have three young guys with tremendous shots, Foerester , Brink and Tippett, the best pure shooters we’ve had in years. What we really need are creative playmakers, especially at center to set them up and make the most of their shooting abilities.

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

Chychrun gonna need some time in a dental chair...

He got hit in the Chychlets pretty good, didn't he? You're welcome. 😁

Edited by FD19372
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Why are the Flyers dressed like the Sens and the Sens are dressed like the Flyers?

Very distracting.

:hocky:

great minds… the uniforms confused me about 20 times tonight. Goofy. 

• Like 1

Thanks to Babyface Foerster’s 16th tonight (9 goals in his last 9 games) the Flyers have potted 5 penalty shots this year, most by an NHL team in one season.

The past 7 years the Flyers were 0-10 on penalty shots. Not even the law of averages could help them. This year they’re 5-5.

In shootouts it’s a similar story this year thanks to Ersson.

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Like 3