Game 68: Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruins; 3/16/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

2 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Yes and no. The Flyers are plainly nowhere near as loaded talent-wise as the Bs, the Rags etc. But I do wonder how they would’ve fared against TB, the Leaves and tonight with the D they used all season (minus Walker of course). 

I’m not questioning the talent disparity I’m only wondering how much impact losing Seeler, Drysdale and even Ristolainen is having. 

Grateful: That's why I said having even one of their injured D around might have made a difference.  And it's clear that Staal and Johnson are spent. A payoff series would benefit the kids. I wonder if they will stagger in? 

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

And it's clear that Staal and Johnson are spent

Staal I agree his legs are gone. If he’s already where the play is, he’s still effective, makes (mostly) good plays. But getting to and from his assignments is a problem. 

Johnson played fine from what I saw. He made a good block early, laid out to break up a great scoring chance. I don’t remember noticing him besides that play though. That’s generally a good thing when you’re at the rink but I don’t trust it watching on TV. Did I miss some mistakes, bad plays he made tonight?

• Like 1

Grateful, I defer to you on Johnson. The media have not been so kind. I agree that Staal is probably slow to the point it hurts. Morganti has been critical. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:44 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

Yep. And they blew an opportunity to widen the gap on the Isles, who suddenly can’t win games either.

If Seeler was in it probably never gets to 5-2. He is missed for more than just blocking shots it’s his whole attitude. The Flyers are adjusting to his absence but it’s taking too long, points are slipping away.

How bad is it when we have to hope for Seeler’s return to stabilize the D? The guy is a second pairing d-man at best on any other team. Not saying he wouldn’t improve the current dmen they are icing but I don’t plan on him becoming the next coming of Jesus either.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, flyerrod said:

How bad is it when we have to hope for Seeler’s return to stabilize the D?

yeah. it is bad. I won't, I can't minimize Seeler's impact on the team this year - he's been incredibly good. But yeah it's bad when it feels like he's your difference-maker.

1 minute ago, GratefulFlyers said:

yeah. it is bad. I won't, I can't minimize Seeler's impact on the team this year - he's been incredibly good. But yeah it's bad when it feels like he's your difference-maker.

One thing we can agree on is Staal and Johnson both too much for a team to over come.

They recalled Ginning and that kid needs to play sit one of the two mentioned.

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

That's not uncommon...I remember years ago, they were in a bad slump and it corresponded with an injury to Luke Richardson, as soon as he came back they got off the slide...and the team stabilized....weird how that stuff happens.

Edited by flyerdog

2 hours ago, flyerdog said:

That's not uncommon...I remember years ago, they were in a bad slump and it corresponded with an injury to Luke Richardson, as soon as he came back they got off the slide...and the team stabilized....weird how that stuff happens.

Luc Richardson. There’s a blast from the past. He was the Riley Cote of defensemen; liked to block punches with his face

On 3/16/2024 at 10:59 PM, GratefulFlyers said:

I’m not questioning the talent disparity I’m only wondering how much impact losing Seeler, Drysdale and even Ristolainen is having.

It's not insignificant.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

It's not insignificant.

Ristoleinin was playing much better hockey up until his injury. It is possible that Torts finally got it through his skull that he is a dman with actual defensive responsibilities. He was always good for a smoking hit but he was abandoning his responsibility to make it. He seemed to be taking less stupid lazy penalties too with the exception of Wes Mcauley type calls. (Just ask Torts).

21 minutes ago, flyerrod said:

Ristoleinin was playing much better hockey up until his injury.

At least it won’t take long for him to get back up to speed since ______ insert joke here ____…

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

It's not insignificant.

re: Seeler, Drysdale, Ristolainen’s impact … for this roster … that’s putting it mildly. It doesn’t help that the Flyers have apparently “gone dark” concerning these 3. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

At least it won’t take long for him to get back up to speed since ______ insert joke here ____…

re: Seeler, Drysdale, Ristolainen’s impact … for this roster … that’s putting it mildly. It doesn’t help that the Flyers have apparently “gone dark” concerning these 3. 

Thanks for adding that. I thought is was in the quote..

Edited by flyerrod
Spelling carelessness

On 3/18/2024 at 2:24 PM, CoachX said:

Luc Richardson. There’s a blast from the past. He was the Riley Cote of defensemen; liked to block punches with his face

not surprised...just LOOK at his nose!!!