Game 68: Philadelphia Flyers at Boston Bruins; 3/16/24 @ 7 PM, NBCSP

Greetings:

The gauntlet continues with the Bruins favored (-194):

https://www.lines.com/nhl/predictions/flyers-vs-bruins-puck-line-mar-16-2024

Statistically, the biggest differences are in the PP and offense, advantage Bruins:

https://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/bos-vs-phi/2024/03/16/2023021064

We lost 6-2 in Philly on January 27th.  Boston has been tough on us historically; we are on a six-game loss streak against them:

https://champsorchumps.us/team/nhl/boston-bruins/head-to-head/philadelphia-flyers#:~:text=The Bruins have an overall record of 137-86-21-4,a 119-72-21-4 (60.0%) record against the Philadelphia Flyers.

Flyers have been playing playoff hockey all season.

They're now playing playoff teams gearing up for playoff hockey.

If all goes well they'll play Florida in a best of 7. Yes, "they just beat Florida"

Also, FLORIDA IS THE TOP SEED IN THE EAST AND FOLLOWING UP A FINALS APPEARANCE AND WE'RE THE GODDAMN PHILADELPHIA FLYERS WHO HAVEN'T DONE SQUAT FOR OVER A DECADE.

image.gif

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

9 hours ago, Howie58 said:

The gauntlet continues with the Bruins favored (-194):

"the gauntlet" indeed. In Boston on Saturday night with Ersson struggling, the D corps mostly MIA and a PP that's still the worst in the league. Two of the Flyers last 3 were blowouts, embarrassments. Hopefully it isn't 3 of the last 4 after tonight...

• Like 1

No surprise in goal. Errs may be worn out.

The other side here is our forwards. The PHLY gang dissected it. They are all slumping big time. Coots' performance raises long-term questions. He hasn't played more than 60 games in over 4 seasons.

May only catch part of game. Lots at stake. Win or lose, they need to be respectable. Agreed with Morganti and Ashlyn, they are marginal against SJ, and haven't looked good in weeks. Losing Walker may mean more than we could imagine. 

3 hours ago, Howie58 said:

No surprise in goal. Errs may be worn out.

The other side here is our forwards. The PHLY gang dissected it. They are all slumping big time. Coots' performance raises long-term questions. He hasn't played more than 60 games in over 4 seasons.

May only catch part of game. Lots at stake. Win or lose, they need to be respectable. Agreed with Morganti and Ashlyn, they are marginal against SJ, and haven't looked good in weeks. Losing Walker may mean more than we could imagine. 

Let's collapse into a better draft position. Maybe we can get down to #12. It will be easier to trade up from there. I'd hope for being in the bottom 10, but alot of the teams below us just keep losing. 

I guess starting Sandstrom makes sense. Ersson looks like he can use some rest maybe not physically but mentally.

I keep forgetting Ersson’s a rookie. An older rookie but still, his first season as an NHL goalie. From a backup to “1B” then suddenly he’s #1 with the entire season, the PO push hanging on him. 

Be a good night for Sandstrom to stand on his head…they say there’s a first time for everything!

This is another game where the talent disparity is noticeable.  I think we’ll be seeing a lot of that in the next couple weeks.  I hope their effort can overcome the difference.

Farabee with tip.  Flyers up 2-1.

• Like 1

I was hoping Couturier was getting his 2nd wind ... seems he's playing well away from the puck from what I can see on TV - but when was the last time he scored a goal?

Feb 10th vs Seattle, before that Jan 6th vs Calgary. 2 goals in 2024 (and 11 assists).

I never expected he'd lead the team in points this year but 1 goal/month...

• Like 1

great to have both Deslaurier and Atkinson out there.

3 goals on 3 shots in the third... will they make it 4/4? I won't know bc i can't watch this bs anymore tonight.

12 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

3 goals in less than 4 mins to start the 3rd.  That sound is the wheels falling off…

Was enjoying the first 2 periods but Sandstrom was playing lights out and got some lucky breaks. The third period not so much. I really miss fighting………

Flyers thisclose to a great comeback…2 goals in a 1:08 I think it was, 5-4…and then Sandstrom can’t come up with the big save…6-4.

Whoa what ?? 6-5! Holyshit this team is just unreal they Never Quit.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

Flyers thisclose to a great comeback…2 goals in a 1:08 I think it was, 5-4…and then Sandstrom can’t come up with the big save…6-4.

Whoa what ?? 6-5! Holyshit this team is just unreal they Never Quit.

They are in desperate need for a real nhl goalie. Sandstrom or Peterson don’t even qualify as ahl level and Errson is ridiculously overplayed because of it.

• Like 2

Such a shame … a couple shifts early in the 3rd ….all 5 Flyers standing around, waving their sticks at nothing…almost like they were deliberately opening the lanes for the Bruins’ shooters… 

and then Sandstrom. He wasn’t terrible far from it. But that 6th goal he’s got to catch. His team battles their asses off gets within 1 plenty of time left to tie…and it goes right past him. 

edit: to be fair to Sandstrom that 6th goal was practically point blank. Skating in alone with a head of steam Heinen really got off a good rip. A tough save but a good goalie usually makes it, especially at that point when you’re right back in the game.

Edited by GratefulFlyers

A different goalie and one or two of the injured defense and we might have a different outcome. We are giving up a lot of goals. It's bad. Five goals generally wins a game.

This is another example of limited talent relative to compete level. We were game. It didn't matter much. 

Just now, Howie58 said:

It didn't matter much. 

Yep. And they blew an opportunity to widen the gap on the Isles, who suddenly can’t win games either.

If Seeler was in it probably never gets to 5-2. He is missed for more than just blocking shots it’s his whole attitude. The Flyers are adjusting to his absence but it’s taking too long, points are slipping away.

• Like 1

If the team falls out of a playoff spot, I'll be disappointed for the boys. 

They've been fun to watch most of the year.

This stretch of games vs the best teams in the conference is highlighting/bolding/underlining the gap in talent.  

We all see it, because we see it,  I don't expect a quiet offseason .

Falling to 15-12 in draft position and some luck after that could get them into position to spend to get a player they like if he's available. 

Seems like they battled again, but came up a little short.  It's a better result than most of the recent games v the Bruins.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

This stretch of games vs the best teams in the conference is highlighting/bolding/underlining the gap in talent.  

Yes and no. The Flyers are plainly nowhere near as loaded talent-wise as the Bs, the Rags etc. But I do wonder how they would’ve fared against TB, the Leaves and tonight with the D they used all season (minus Walker of course). 

I’m not questioning the talent disparity I’m only wondering how much impact losing Seeler, Drysdale and even Ristolainen is having. 

• Like 1

Sandstrom's inconsistent play is tough to swallow. He comes up with some fine stops, then blows a seemingly easy one. This has been his MO from the start.

• Good Post 2