Flyers Sign Oscar Eklind to ELC

Greetings:

I'm sure many of your saw this and I mentioned it in another thread:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/04/08/philadelphia-flyers-sign-oscar-eklind-unknown-swedish-prospect/

I am not a pro scout. And for all I know, this kid (he is 25, which isn't so young) may be a diamond in the rough.  But...doesn't this sound like Throwback Thursday?  Wouldn't we rather read about signing a speedy winger rather than a "hulking" 6'4" possible bottom six player?  Is this a cheap substitute for Nic?  Is our cupboard in LVH that barren?  

Again, he may bring things to the table that aren't clear to an outsider.  But the optics aren't great for a team that needs speed and skill.

One man's thought!

Howie

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

I'm sure many of your saw this and I mentioned it in another thread:

https://phillyhockeynow.com/2024/04/08/philadelphia-flyers-sign-oscar-eklind-unknown-swedish-prospect/

I am not a pro scout. And for all I know, this kid (he is 25, which isn't so young) may be a diamond in the rough.  But...doesn't this sound like Throwback Thursday?  Wouldn't we rather read about signing a speedy winger rather than a "hulking" 6'4" possible bottom six player?  Is this a cheap substitute for Nic?  Is our cupboard in LVH that barren?  

Again, he may bring things to the table that aren't clear to an outsider.  But the optics aren't great for a team that needs speed and skill.

One man's thought!

Howie

He's 6' 4" and apparently soft. He was scoring at a good pace, then like the Flyers he fizzled out when the games started to matter. Should fit right in. 

Quotes from Swedish fans translated...

"Of course he has scored a lot of goals, but in the rest of the game I don't think he delivers at all anymore."

"Not delivered in goals or recently, Has scored 2 goals in the last 20? Surprised if he gets an NHL contract."

"It's just naive to think that with that club technique and puck handling he would even be considering an NHL contract"

"Eklind !!If, against all odds, you were to read what we fans think of your performance against Örebro yesterday, you would rightfully be ashamed.Stop loitering around on the ice, take care of yourself physically and don't let opponents who weigh 20 kg less than you move you, show your heart and f*** it.."

"Can actually agree a bit, with that size he has to ask some questions of the opponents! Get a little meaner, step on!The opponents did not hesitate at all and they had the stated goal of playing physically on us in EVERY situation, which it seemed they did."

"Did you see what Keegan Lowe yelled at Eklind after the whistle at 00:33 - "you are f***ing soft"..Eklind lowered his head and left.Away with him. Something is wrong with his head."

"Suits Eklind quite well though, he is extremely soft for his size,"

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Uggh... 3

58 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

He's 6' 4" and apparently soft.

Is that so well that ain''t worth a damn.

And here i was getting depressed see this mock has Sharks drafting Celebrini and Eiserman...kill me now...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

And the Flyers drafting another RW.

:BrownBag:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

"Eklind !!If, against all odds, you were to read what we fans think of your performance against Örebro yesterday, you would rightfully be ashamed.Stop loitering around on the ice, take care of yourself physically and don't let opponents who weigh 20 kg less than you move you, show your heart and f*** it.."

Can't wait...

:bonkingheadonwall:

So, the guy is soft.   Yikes.

Well, my concern is why do we want someone like this? We need people who can break down an opponent's defense.  This reads like another 4th liner.  We've got those...maybe too many.

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

TANK FOR COLE!!!

:BrownBag:

I'm not a fan of fallers and he's dropping like a rock. (Michkov fell for political reasons) He was ranked 2nd coming into the season, and now you're starting to see him out of the top 10. One dimensional, doesn't play in his own end, has that Hayes game in him when the puck goes the other way, not much of a play driver. But his shot IS world class. The Flyers already have Foerster/Michkov/Tippett(though his shot isn't accurate). If Eisseman fell all the way to where Philly picks, I guess you could do worse. We do need LWers. But we need a #1 centre and a #1 dman a lot worse. And a #1 goalie (not that I'd pick one here). You don't build with wingers...Philly is a PRIME example of this. That's our strength, the least important position in hockey.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm not a fan of fallers and he's dropping like a rock.

You can always move back and pick up assets. Depends on the options Danny has Iginla is suppose to be a C.

I'm just throwing names out there not sure where they even go i just would rather get the best pick and not worry about the playoffs.

There is talent to be had they must find it...

21 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

You can always move back and pick up assets. Depends on the options Danny has Iginla is suppose to be a C.

I'm just throwing names out there not sure where they even go i just would rather get the best pick and not worry about the playoffs.

There is talent to be had they must find it...

It would be nice to get a centre or a defenceman...but BPA in the 1st round always.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

It would be nice to get a centre or a defenceman...but BPA in the 1st round always.

They need so much help it would be very nice if Danny could just hit on his first 4 picks (2 1st and 2 2nds) alone.

If you can land 4 players who will help and stick for the rebuild it would be huge in about 4 years once MM is over.

They have plenty of guys to fill out the bottom 6 bunch not any top end talent not named Michkov.

Then if he can at least hit on his first 4 picks in 2025 (2 1st and 2 2nds) then real quickly you add 8 players to the Cup run teams could move the time line up big time. Is it highly likely?? No but we can have hope...

11 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

They need so much help it would be very nice if Danny could just hit on his first 4 picks (2 1st and 2 2nds) alone.

If you can land 4 players who will help and stick for the rebuild it would be huge in about 4 years once MM is over.

It would be better than nice if Briere could draft four actual NHL players; it would be an astoundingly successful result. The Flyers have done this three times since they began drafting in 1967. It's really quite rare. My own line in the sand for "actual NHL player" is one who can play 250 games in this league. Note that I'm not saying star players or impact players, but one who can provide enough value to play for a few years.

2003: Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Colin Fraser, Alexandre Picard

1983: Rick Tocchet, Peter Zezel, Derrick Smith, Pelle Eklund

1972: Bill Barber, Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson, Al MacAdam

Danny Briere will almost surely not draft four NHL players this June.

• Good Post 3

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

They have plenty of guys to fill out the bottom 6 bunch not any top end talent not named Michkov.

Then if he can at least hit on his first 4 picks in 2025 (2 1st and 2 2nds) then real quickly you add 8 players to the Cup run teams could move the time line up big time. Is it highly likely?? No but we can have hope...

I'm with JR here...I'll be happy if Briere gets 4 players in the next 2 drafts. I'm just hoping ONE of them is an impact player. It's really why he needs to tear it down. Picking in the middle of the pack, it could take a decade or 2 to get a franchise type player. We're not beating teams who will be lining up prime Bedards and Celebrinis while we send out the Scott Laughtons and broken down 34 year old Couturiers. Philly needs to take a step back, unload players who aren't going to be sliding downward in 5 years, and not only pick higher, but have even more picks. 

Philly has 2-1sts this year, maybe a 2nd, a 3rd etc.

Chicago has 2-1sts this year, both higher than Phillys, 3-2nds, 2-3rds. They already have 2-1sts in 2025 and 2-2nds. They already have way better young talent including a #1 centre and  top 2 dman who are both teenagers already in the NHL. They have Moore and Nazar in the minors.  Those are the type of teams we should be competing against if we rebuild properly. And we're already 3 steps behind them. While Philly has been "reloading" and going nowhere, the Hawks sold off, acquiring several 1sts and 2nds and are loading up on future talent. Next year will be their 4th in a row with 2 - 1sts and at least 2-2nds...with their 1sts being high picks. 

Who do you think will be contenders sooner?

• Like 2
  • Good Post 2

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

There's hope and then there's hopium.

It's all they have. Expectation should be within reason. 

They are 2 years away from ing being 2 years away.

The old tried and true Flyer motto.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

It's all they have. Expectation should be within reason. 

They are 2 years away from ing being 2 years away.

The old tried and true Flyer motto.

The Oilers hit with three picks in 1979, then four in 1980 and three in 1981 and built a dynasty from it. They did in three years what most teams manage in 25 seasons. The Red Wings hit with six in 1989, four in 1990, and four in 1991, and that gave them a dynasty run which let the winning run on fumes for about 20 years.

When only two teams have ever done this, asking Briere to do it is just not a reasonable expectation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

You spelled Celebrini wrong. (I'm saying there's a chance lol)

My understanding is you can't move up more than 4 picks...thought I heard that, could be wrong. 

21 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

He's 6' 4" and apparently soft. He was scoring at a good pace, then like the Flyers he fizzled out when the games started to matter. Should fit right in. 

Quotes from Swedish fans translated...

"Of course he has scored a lot of goals, but in the rest of the game I don't think he delivers at all anymore."

"Not delivered in goals or recently, Has scored 2 goals in the last 20? Surprised if he gets an NHL contract."

"It's just naive to think that with that club technique and puck handling he would even be considering an NHL contract"

"Can actually agree a bit, with that size he has to ask some questions of the opponents! Get a little meaner, step on!The opponents did not hesitate at all and they had the stated goal of playing physically on us in EVERY situation, which it seemed they did."

"Did you see what Keegan Lowe yelled at Eklind after the whistle at 00:33 - "you are f***ing soft"..Eklind lowered his head and left.Away with him. Something is wrong with his head."

"Suits Eklind quite well though, he is extremely soft for his size,"

I trust the fans here 100%. Talk about damning! Signing this guy, even for AHL fodder seems outrageous. Does not fit in the bottom six for the Phantoms and takes away a top 6 development spot for an up and comer...brilliant 👏!

13 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

My understanding is you can't move up more than 4 picks...thought I heard that, could be wrong. 

You can move up 10 spots, I don't think there's any chance of getting Celebrini.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

53 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

You can move up 10 spots, I don't think there's any chance of getting Celebrini.

From Tankathon .....

https://www.tankathon.com/nhl

Determining the NHL Draft Order:

1) All teams missing the playoffs are in the Lottery

2)Teams with the least points get more chances at winning the Lottery

3) The 1st overall pick is awarded by a drawing of ping pong balls. A team can only jump ten spots, so only the top 11 teams are eligible for the 1st pick. If a team in the 12-16 range wins the first drawing, the first pick will be awarded to the worst team. The 12-16 seed team that won the first drawing is also locked into their new position.

4) A second drawing is held to determine the other lottery winner. Like the first drawing, the second winner can only jump ten spots, but this time it is using the re-seeded order following the first drawing. This second drawing will not affect the team(s) with locked-in positions from the first drawing. If a ten spot jump is to a pick that is already locked-in, this team will receive the next available pick.

5) Teams are only allowed to improve their positioning via the Lottery twice in a five year period (beginning with the 2022 Lottery).

6)Ties are broken by teams' total number of regulation wins (RW), regulation and non-shootout overtime wins (ROW), and then head-to-head if still tied

7) Playoff teams that did not win their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

8 ) Playoff teams that won their divisions and did not make the conference finals, sorted by points, are assigned the next picks

9) Conference finals losers sorted by points are assigned picks 29 and 30

10)Stanley Cup runner-up is assigned pick 31

11)Stanley Cup champion is assigned pick 32

12) Note: This site uses points percentage instead of points to account for different number of games played between teams

image.png.a0fd5615e3db6d14be0d90cbe861d633.png

As of now it is impossible for the Flyers to get the #1 overall pick. 

image.png.b4252a9d3a889a0d5394caa23dc585ae.png

Here are the players potential available at #12 IF the Flyers finish were they currently are ...

image.png.8ddfbfa94ac5be5bc11f42e56266c2a5.png

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 2

If everything fell the Flyers way (losing last 3 games) .. teams ahead of them needing to win the appropriate number of games the very best the Flyers could draft would he #8. 

4 hours ago, pilldoc said:

If everything fell the Flyers way (losing last 3 games) .. teams ahead of them needing to win the appropriate number of games the very best the Flyers could draft would he #8. 

Its the Flyers...they will win all 3 remaining games and just miss out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3