Drysdale needs core surgery in offseason

So this is the third major injury for this guy in three years and how effective are players after this type of surgery, it usually takes a full year to be at 100% after core surgery, so he will probably be a non factor next year too. The more things change , the more they stay the same. Even the new regime trades for injured players. The rebuild/agressive retool has been going on since 2010 and we probably lose Carter Hart  after having bad goalies for 30 years, we draft Mr Softee  Nolan Patrick, then we get the 5th pick and our best prospect in years doesn’t wanna play and gets traded for another injury prone lemon.  Im so fed up, I was 11 when the Flyers won the Cup, I may not live to see them win again.

• Uggh... 1

1 minute ago, RonJeremy said:

So this is the third major injury for this guy in three years and how effective are players after this type of surgery, it usually takes a full year to be at 100% after core surgery, so he will probably be a non factor next year too. The more things change , the more they stay the same. Even the new regime trades for injured players. The rebuild/agressive retool has been going on since 2010 and we probably lose Carter Hart  after having bad goalies for 30 years, we draft Mr Softee  Nolan Patrick, then we get the 5th pick and our best prospect in years doesn’t wanna play and gets traded for another injury prone lemon.  Im so fed up, I was 11 when the Flyers won the Cup, I may not live to see them win again.

Damn. Now, they can't even coach Drysdale on how to play in his own zone now, for God knows how long.  The retool, we all know, is about ego and pride going back decades. They could have tanked for Bedard, instead of being a borderline playoff team. Michkov will be very good at least, IMO, so they lucked out.  This organization can't get out of its own way. The more things change, the more they stay the same, indeed.

The Patrick pick continues to haunt them, to this day. Red flags all over him, yet he was their pick. The Gauthier situation, I don't blame them for..UNLESS he didn't want to play here, and they knew ahead of time and drafted him anyway. If that's the case, obviously that is sheer total incompetence from the Flyers organization.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Damn. Now, they can't even coach Drysdale on how to play in his own zone now, for God knows how long.  The retool, we all know, is about ego and pride going back decades. They could have tanked for Bedard, instead of being a borderline playoff team. Michkov will be very good at least, IMO, so they lucked out.  This organization can't get out of its own way. The more things change, the more they stay the same, indeed.

The Patrick pick continues to haunt them, to this day. Red flags all over him, yet he was their pick. The Gauthier situation, I don't blame them for..UNLESS he didn't want to play here, and they knew ahead of time and drafted him anyway. If that's the case, obviously that is sheer total incompetence from the Flyers organization.

I’m optimistic about Michkov, Andrae and Bonk , these seem to be some good picks. Tippett and Foerester are both snipers with some good size. Frost, Farabee and Brink have skill but are on the small side and I have  written off Drysdale, there is no way we are even coming close to even in that trade. Now we need a legit #1 center with some size and a true #1/2 dman who can shutdown opponents and provide offense. I like Yakemchuk a big dman with offense and hitting skills, I dont think any centers will be around for our 12th pick unless it’s Hage a solid center with some size,but he’s more of a late first round pick. I’d like to trade up for Dickinson if we could. We cannot fail in this draft, we have had enough setbacks.

• Like 1

And another thing, why is it that they just announced Ristos  injury is a ruptured triceps and he will be getting surgery and it will take three months to heal. Why wasn’t surgery done months ago to ensure 100% he will be ready for camp? I thought we got rid of the incompetent medical staff? 

9 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

And another thing, why is it that they just announced Ristos  injury is a ruptured triceps and he will be getting surgery and it will take three months to heal. Why wasn’t surgery done months ago to ensure 100% he will be ready for camp? I thought we got rid of the incompetent medical staff? 

As rad often mentions...when your GM was trained by a former GM (who sucked) who was trained by a former GM (who sucked) what do you expect?

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

As rad often mentions...when your GM was trained by a former GM (who sucked) who was trained by a former GM (who sucked) what do you expect?

How stupid of me to think that things were changing, it’s like a three card monte game with a new dealer.

• Like 1

It's understandable why Flyers' fans are suspicious about injuries. Thankfully the medical staff was overhauled awhile ago. Clarke and the SVPs are still there (somewhere) but I doubt they're involved.

Because we don't know the extent of Drysdale's core injury projecting a year recovery is unwarranted. Neither his situation nor Ristolainen's strikes me as incompetence on anyone's part. This stuff is completely normal around the league. A guy gets hurt and everyone including the player himself believes he'll recover in time to play...then he doesn't. That shithappens all over the NHL every year.

But I'm not minimizing the news. It royally sucks Drysdale needs "core muscles" surgery. For a guy who's best attribute - frankly his only attribute I've seen - is his skating so this injury may be particularly bad for him. But maybe it won't be ...

...so here's a realistic, alternative outcome for Drysdale: he recovers and never gets hurt again. He won't be the first player who appears "injury prone" for awhile, then goes on to a solid, injury-free career. Hopefully once he's back his game is more than just good wheels.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

He won't be the first player who appears "injury prone" for awhile, then goes on to a solid, injury-free career.

To your point, Justin Williams was "frequently injured" and then had a pretty good career.

Williams was also frequently injured, which simultaneously hampered his development. He broke his left hand in his rookie season (hit by David Tanabe of the Carolina Hurricanes) and had various sprains and strains in his sophomore year. Williams also suffered a left knee injury on January 18, 2003, when he was hit low by the Tampa Bay Lightning's Brad Lukowich. The hit tore Williams' anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) and medial collateral ligament (MCL), and, on January 23, 2003, he had surgery to repair the ligaments. Originally projected to miss four to eight months recovering from the injury, Williams made it back into Philadelphia's line-up in just three months.

He wound up with three Cups and a Conn Smythe to his name.

But, on the other hand, the Flyers did have Danny Markov for 34 games and an Eastern Conference Finals run in 2004.

So, it balances out.

Ah, memories....

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Thanks 1
  • Uggh... 2

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

It's understandable why Flyers' fans are suspicious about injuries. Thankfully the medical staff was overhauled awhile ago. Clarke and the SVPs are still there (somewhere) but I doubt they're involved.

Because we don't know the extent of Drysdale's core injury projecting a year recovery is unwarranted. Neither his situation nor Ristolainen's strikes me as incompetence on anyone's part. This stuff is completely normal around the league. A guy gets hurt and everyone including the player himself believes he'll recover in time to play...then he doesn't. That shithappens all over the NHL every year.

But I'm not minimizing the news. It royally sucks Drysdale needs "core muscles" surgery. For a guy who's best attribute - frankly his only attribute I've seen - is his skating so this injury may be particularly bad for him. But maybe it won't be ...

...so here's a realistic, alternative outcome for Drysdale: he recovers and never gets hurt again. He won't be the first player who appears "injury prone" for awhile, then goes on to a solid, injury-free career. Hopefully once he's back his game is more than just good wheels.

Drysdales future health should have easily trumped Torts & co. playoff quest in a freakin' supposed rebuild year. But of course, a possible 4 game shellacking at the hands of the Rangers was way more important than a 22 year old defenceman that skates better than anyone we've had back there since, and probably including Mark Howe. I would have shut him down for the season instead of throwing him out there for 7 stupid games where the team had clearly ran out of gas.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 2
  • Good Post 1

13 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Mr. Game 7!!!

8-1 in the 9 game 7s he played in.

Justin is tied with Glen Anderson at 7 game 7 goals...but Justin has the record for Game 7 points...15!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I would have shut him down for the season instead of throwing him out there for 7 stupid games where the team had clearly ran out of gas.

I hear ya ….and I would’ve done the same IF it was that simple. Unfortunately (or maybe not unfortunately) there’s only 1 injury AFAIK where there’s a clear cut protocol to get back on the ice, a head injury. For the rest, once the med staff does everything it thinks appropriate, players return based mostly on “how do you feel?” And 9 times out of 10 the guy swears he’s ready to go. 

And 9 times out of 10 the guy swears he’s ready to go. 

Right, and that's where a good coach needs to know when Wayne Simmonds is hobbling around on one leg for a season or Mike Richards is carrying the team on two separated shoulders or when Cam York by his own admission "shouldn't have been on the ice" for a game in which he was -3 and they lost 6-3.

Unless that coach is no longer focused on "creating accountability and developing culture" and is instead "trying win games to make the playoffs."

During the entire 2017–18 season, Simmonds played with a tear in his pelvis area, torn groin, fractured ankle, torn thumb ligament, and a busted jaw.

Coming off four seasons of 29-28-32-31 goals, he scored 24. He would go on to score 37 total in the next five seasons.

I am aware Simmonds - one of my favorite players - says he's fine with how things went and obviously "retired a Flyer." I just might have preferred 3-5 more effective seasons of him in orange and black instead of - checks notes - a 4-2 first round loss to the Pens and then missing the playoffs the next season before he was shuffled off to Nashville for - checks notes - 19 games of Ryan Hartman that was then flipped for Tyler Pitlick...

#assetmanagement

I just don't think the results of these sacrifices justify the actions and, in fact, detrimentally affected the team for the long term dramatically more than it benefitted in the short term:  Simmonds' career was never the same and traded, Richards was turned into a drug addict and traded.

Until this organization thinks long term they will continue to have the short term difficulties that they have experienced for decades.

And that's where rushing your 22-year-old prized defensive prospect back on the ice "in a playoff push" for a rebuilding team may not make sense for the long term success. Especially when you don't make the playoffs...

• Good Post 3

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

Until this organization thinks long term they will continue to have the short term difficulties that they have experienced for decades.

Jezzus.

See Fedotov new contract!!

3.25 mill per season on a 2 year deal!!!

That 811% must have impressed them.

Holy crap the Flyers are a rudderless ship!!!

• Uggh... 1

Holy cow really? $3.25mil AAV mama mia well luckily the rest of the team is set so the Flyers can spare the cap room….yeahright. O Danny Boy… the pipes the pipes….apparently he heard the call but $3.25mil? 

Edited by GratefulFlyers
  • Uggh... 1

Holy cow really? $3.25mil AAV mama mia well luckily the rest of the team is set so the Flyers can spare the cap room….yeahright. O Danny Boy… the pipes the pipes….apparently he heard the call but $3.25mil? 

Yeah I accidentally put this hear in the wrong thread there is another one to discuss this. I won't comment here on this and keep it on Drysdale.

I'm fine with giving Drysdale a year to heal up. Let him come back fully 100%, not just healed from the surgery. I'm wondering if teams rush guys back because it's "oh the surgery is healed up, they're ready to go" instead of "the surgery is healed, but now we need to get them 100% game shape ready." Let Drysdale get that surgery and then don't let him back on the ice with the team until he's 100% game shape ready. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I'm fine with giving Drysdale a year to heal up. Let him come back fully 100%, not just healed from the surgery. I'm wondering if teams rush guys back because it's "oh the surgery is healed up, they're ready to go" instead of "the surgery is healed, but now we need to get them 100% game shape ready." Let Drysdale get that surgery and then don't let him back on the ice with the team until he's 100% game shape ready. 

He'll come back and say he's 100% and then after a disappointing season we'll hear that we had to expect he wouldn't be 100% coming back.

Been there. Done that. Have my Wayne Simmonds jersey...

:hocky:

2 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

He’s already had almost two full years of healing from other injuries, you can’t keep losing valuable development time early in your career and expect a guy to ever reach his potential . I hope he’s healthy after this, but he may be another Wade Allison.