Fedotov Re-Signed: 2Y/$3.25M per

30 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Okay, honest question. I'm interested in opinions.

Obviously the NHL rink is smaller than over there. 

Setting aside the possibility that the difference in angles plus nerves didn't help him in his one game.

Considering his size does the NHL ice size hurt him, help him, or not relevant? Especially in situations in which the opponent has the zone.

I don't think the size of the ice surface really makes a difference for him. Fedotov is such a large presence that the key with him is his lateral movement and how quickly he can get up from the butterfly. 

His movement is crisp. Just seeing him move side to side while in the butterfly is incredible. I get that his debut wasn't the greatest, but just watch clips from the games he appeared in and just watch how well he moves. That's going to be his thing. 

Edited by BobbyClarkeFan16
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Ok, so Fedotov is making Over $3 million for putting up lousy AHL goalie numbers...what does Ersson want for his next contract? It's completely irrational signing him to that contract. 

I had to find something, anything to make that ridiculous number less painful. The combined cap hit is all I could come up with... sue me.. 😆

I think what happened is Danny offered 3.25 million rubles so it's actually only $35K a year. How he got around the league minimum is the real story here...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GratefulFlyers said:

I had to find something, anything to make that ridiculous number less painful. The combined cap hit is all I could come up with... sue me.. 😆

I think what happened is Danny offered 3.25 million rubles so it's actually only $35K a year. How he got around the league minimum is the real story here...

Once again they the Flyers outbid themselves...he was making roughly 275k is Russia to hitting the mother load in US...i feel like i'm being punked...where is Ashton?

• Like 1
  • Uggh... 1

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I will personally let @radoran cut my slice of crow as long as he has some good bourbon to wash it down with.

Hey, man, I'm just following the maxim of "if the glass is half empty, add ice - it's hockey."

And, yes, that's a bourbon reference.

And then there's this...

Edited by radoran
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Considering his size does the NHL ice size hurt him, help him, or not relevant?

My opinion his size has nothing to do with him keep getting beat blocker side on most his goals. I am hoping it can be coached out of him.

However with the smaller ice he must learn shots get up on you quicker and that they will come from any damn where on this smaller ice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You know who's really happy about this? Michkov. Cause he knows Philly will give him the max as soon as his ELC runs out. Just for his hype.

the funny thing too is Fedotov's contract will be up the year before Michkov even comes over if he even last that long.

• Like 1

I heard some interesting information coupled with some speculation about this today.

First and foremost, **** the salary cap, I have always hated it. It makes everyday joes (like us) side with billionaires who didn't get to be billionaires by being chill. It turns chill dudes into jr assistant accountants; for instance everyone in this thread is up in arms about this deal. In reality who gives a **** what Comcast spent, but the salary cap makes all us like ****** rats in a cage. Plus, I hate every ****** second i spend on cap friendly. 

Second, the speculation is that was the cost to get the player to leave Russia.

On a human level I kind of dig it. 

The guy was essentially kidnapped after signing his entry level deal sent to Russian basic training and spent a year in the Russian Navy.

The Flyers hung in there with him and he's getting his chance. It sends a message to the potential star player that the organization keeps its word. 

The scuttlebutt I heard was the Managment wanted to see what they had and when the team is rebuilding isn't the worst time to make that evaluation. Also, the signing heralds the end of the Carter Hart era-that dude is done in the Orange and Black...maybe just orange HI-YO.

Could they use the cap space to get another 3rd or 4th by 3rd manning a deal...I mean sure, but I don't mind them seeing what their draft pick can do.

It could be he's the Flyers version of Ilya Sorokin or he winds up like Georgiev in Colorado.  I think even if he is just an average NHL goaltender by the time his contract is up .901/2.99-ish that's enough. 

His KHL numbers kind of look like he may trend more toward a Georgiev type. In all honesty he just needs to be decent enough to give Ersson some breaks. 

4 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

**** the salary cap

Absolutely especially when they still going to let teams circumvent it like they have been 

all i ask is the NHL keeps that same energy so one day soon maybe Flyer can take advantage of these same loopholes

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I heard some interesting information coupled with some speculation about this today.

First and foremost, **** the salary cap, I have always hated it. It makes everyday joes (like us) side with billionaires who didn't get to be billionaires by being chill. It turns chill dudes into jr assistant accountants; for instance everyone in this thread is up in arms about this deal. In reality who gives a **** what Comcast spent, but the salary cap makes all us like ****** rats in a cage. Plus, I hate every ****** second i spend on cap friendly. 

Second, the speculation is that was the cost to get the player to leave Russia.

On a human level I kind of dig it. 

The guy was essentially kidnapped after signing his entry level deal sent to Russian basic training and spent a year in the Russian Navy.

The Flyers hung in there with him and he's getting his chance. It sends a message to the potential star player that the organization keeps its word. 

The scuttlebutt I heard was the Managment wanted to see what they had and when the team is rebuilding isn't the worst time to make that evaluation. Also, the signing heralds the end of the Carter Hart era-that dude is done in the Orange and Black...maybe just orange HI-YO.

Could they use the cap space to get another 3rd or 4th by 3rd manning a deal...I mean sure, but I don't mind them seeing what their draft pick can do.

It could be he's the Flyers version of Ilya Sorokin or he winds up like Georgiev in Colorado.  I think even if he is just an average NHL goaltender by the time his contract is up .901/2.99-ish that's enough. 

His KHL numbers kind of look like he may trend more toward a Georgiev type. In all honesty he just needs to be decent enough to give Ersson some breaks. 

While I agree with most of what you say here, the Flyers (ok, a franchise that doesn't constantly spend money on what they hope they'll become) could have done all this for half the money. I know it's not my money, it's just more of the Flyers overpaying guys who haven't done squat.

You want a new culture on the team? How about earn your paycheck?

• Like 1

It really does look like they were competing with themselves in an effort to overpay. Every red cent of the cap has to be spent wisely. Its the way horrible teams become decent and good teams become great. 

I read the terms of this deal were predetermined before Feds came over....so the bad start had no bearing on the inevitable deal that was made....assuming that report was accurate. 

Best case, he becomes a solid starter and its a great deal. Worst case, he helps secure a 1st overall draft pick by really sucking...not so bad... eh?

If he ends up really being horrible, it would not end up getting this management team fired, but add this to 3-4 more bad decisions and its unemployment line. At the very least, Danny is hitching his rep as a talent evaluator to these questionable KHL stats...we shall see....

21 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

It really does look like they were competing with themselves in an effort to overpay.

And from reports I seen this morning this contract was pretty much agreed upon to get him to leave Russia his play in the games he got in be damned.

And if this is true this is just a bad desperate way to run a business.

But I am sure he was encouraged by the ones above him if they didn't even maybe suggest it.

#mind blowing

:BrownBag:

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And from reports I seen this morning this contract was pretty much agreed upon to get him to leave Russia

Make the playoffs. Anything can happen.

:hocky:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

the Flyers (ok, a franchise that doesn't constantly spend money on what they hope they'll become) could have done all this for half the money.

they could have gotten a different "other goalie" for the next few seasons, no question. 

And maybe that would be a better way to go. I don't know.

But, If they wanted to see what Fedotov could do, that was the price, it's what he was making in Russia, or the equivalent and he wasn't going to uproot his life for a pay cut. They wanted to see what they had so, here we are. 

The idea that every negotiation needs to be a win and hardball all the time is fine until humans become involved. 

33 minutes ago, SCFlyguy said:

People who don’t like paying attention to the cap and contracts are rooting for the perfect team, because the Flyers don’t pay attention to them either.

It's not as fun as rooting for a hockey player.

Go salary cap!  doesn't have a ring to it. 

36 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

t really does look like they were competing with themselves in an effort to overpay.

Here's where I got my information.

Nothing says, they made an effort to overpay. That's just silly. 

everything else you wrote i can't really disagree with. I don't like it though.

The terms of the deal being terrible or decent really depend on the player. 

We won't know until we know, the team is terrible now and it may be the best time to make this kind of evaluation.

One thing I can guarantee...Danny might have made the final call...but some pro scouts will be sleepless come training camp...cause if you highly recommended Feds and he flops...not good.  I dont think you make this kind of commitment on the word of a loosely affiliated rink rat...their scouts were over there watching and apparently liked what they saw.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

And from reports I seen this morning this contract was pretty much agreed upon to get him to leave Russia his play in the games he got in be damned.

And if this is true this is just a bad desperate way to run a business.

But I am sure he was encouraged by the ones above him if they didn't even maybe suggest it.

#mind blowing

:BrownBag:

I think there is more at stake than just Fedotov.  I think Michkov is watching how the Flyers act, if they screw Fedotov over by low balling him, why would he want to come to the team?

If they treat him fairly or in this case well... that serves to make the jump the NHL that much more enticing.

I don't think this signing was made in a vacuum. 

I think the Flyers will need to continue recruiting the kid. I would not be surprised if this contract is part of that. 

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Here's where I got my information.

Nothing says, they made an effort to overpay. That's just silly. 

everything else you wrote i can't really disagree with. I don't like it though.

The terms of the deal being terrible or decent really depend on the player. 

We won't know until we know, the team is terrible now and it may be the best time to make this kind of evaluation.

It does not look like it when I re-read...but there was a touch of sarcasm in that first line...lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

You want a new culture on the team? How about earn your paycheck?

It's kinda what Torts wants them to do.

7 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I think there is more at stake than just Fedotov.  I think Michkov is watching how the Flyers act, if they screw Fedotov over by low balling him, why would he want to come to the team?

If they treat him fairly or in this case well... that serves to make the jump the NHL that much more enticing.

I don't think this signing was made in a vacuum. 

I think the Flyers will need to continue recruiting the kid. I would not be surprised if this contract is part of that. 

The same group that adamantly 100% insists that their treatment of Hayes had absolutely nothing to do with Gauthier bailing on them.

You're not wrong. It's just it's three dimensional Calvinball with this franchise.

:hocky:

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Every red cent of the cap has to be spent wisely.

They have more money than they're spending on Fedotov in dead cap space for Petersen in Lehigh.

This organization isn't looking to bank cap space at the moment.