Fedotov Re-Signed: 2Y/$3.25M per

YOU HAVE TO BE FUGGIN KIDDING ME!!!

Flyers resign Ivan Fedotov to a 2 year deal!!!

3.25 mill PER SEASON!!!

NO DAMN WAY!!!

DANNY WHY!!!!??!!!

WHY???

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/flyers-sign-ivan-fedotov-to-two-year-6-5-million-extension

With the Carter Hart situation unclear and his playing future in doubt, the Flyers wanted to have the spot secure going into the 2024-25 regular season.

After what started as a promising season, the Flyers’ season ended in disappointment, just missing out on the playoffs. They closed with a 38-33-11 record and 87 points, sixth in the Metropolitan Division. They spent most of the regular season in the No. 3 spot, but a string of losses and a late-season resurgence from the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals pushed Philadelphia out of the postseason.

Well, if you want to "secure the spot" with a guy who was 0-1, 4.95/.811 during that string of losses why not give him a two year deal at $3.25M?

While I don't mind the signing itself, the term and amount are puzzling.

• Like 3
  • Uggh... 1

12 minutes ago, radoran said:

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/flyers-sign-ivan-fedotov-to-two-year-6-5-million-extension

Well, if you want to "secure the spot" with a guy who was 0-1, 4.95/.811 during that string of losses why not give him a two year deal at $3.25M?

While I don't mind the signing itself, the term and amount are puzzling.

Someone wake me from this nightmare!!!

:BrownBag:

That feels like tandem goalie money to me. I guess someone must really like him.

I'm pretty sure he's not as bad as he was in his lone start. 

He had been in the US for less than 2 weeks. 

I liked what I heard from him in his presser way back then, I don't think playing in the NHL is going to be too big for him.

The question is does he have NHL ability or is his relative success mostly a product of his size?

I'm interested to see if his game takes off with some coaching on the NA rink and some experience playing on one.

Is this a signal that the Flyers are bottoming out next season?

• Good Post 1

Ha, ha.  Danny Briere is one dumb mfer.  Maybe he was scared some team in Outer Mongolia was going to outbid us for the future superstar.

Is Fedotov is going to be the new Morin? A huge player that Flyers fans will insist is going to be good despite all available evidence that they are a gangly mutant who can't play.

• Uggh... 1

30 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm pretty sure he's not as bad as he was in his lone start. 

He had been in the US for less than 2 weeks. 

Thing is, he's a pretty average goalie in the KHL. 13th in SV% and 12th in GAA (or reversed, I forget).

The question is does he have NHL ability or is his relative success mostly a product of his size?

I'm interested to see if his game takes off with some coaching on the NA rink and some experience playing on one.

I'm more than willing to ask that question, but the $3.25M says they believe he's a real deal.

Is this a signal that the Flyers are bottoming out next season?

Briere seems to allude that next season might not be as good as this one (🤔). He's on board with the idea that they're not "there" yet and seems to agree that they're not particularly "close."

This organization needs to be setting itself up for Michkov's arrival, whether or not he gets here in 25-26... And at the moment they seem to be setting up for just that with all of nine skaters signed for that season.

image.png

• Uggh... 1

Greetings:

The amount seems high.  The brass must see something.  

This is a huge "TBD."  Maybe a summer of training and whatever and we find something good.  Remember, in his period of relief, he stopped 14 of 15 and looked impressive.  My other take is that  the free agency market for goalies, if memory serves, isn't real good this year.  Maybe they reckon Ersson gets 25-30 games of help, and an older goalie can't cope.  

The other factor is that they expended a lot of human capital to get him here.  A one-year, two-way deal may have raised question about "why bother?" 

There's more here than meets the eye.  Let's hope we have something of value.  As it is so often in Philly, we will enter the season with goaltending being a big question.  History repeats itself, right?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The question is does he have NHL ability

I feel that question should have been answered assuredly before handing him that contract.

It's a rebuild and the contract is even up before Michkov even comes over.

It makes zero sense.

And tandem money is a terrible excuse too.

We completely disagree on this.

26 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

A one-year, two-way deal may have raised question about "why bother?"

lol

The only way that is even a plan is that they signed him to this ludicrous number so when he is waived no one will even touch him with a ten foot pole with that contract - that reeks of Chuck Fletcher mastermind way of making guys pass thru waivers.

I would have taken a swing at Stolarz first before handing him this contract.

At least Stollie has a proven track record in the NHL as a tandem goalie.

Can't wait to hear @flyercanuck thoughts.

In a rebuild this just makes no sense...

1 minute ago, SCFlyguy said:

Ha, ha.  Danny Briere is one dumb mfer.  Maybe he was scared some team in Outer Mongolia was going to outbid us for the future superstar.

Is Fedotov is going to be the new Morin? A huge player that Flyers fans will insist is going to be good despite all available evidence that they are a gangly mutant who can't play.

maybe it's 3d chess and you're getting your wish of bottoming out. 

There's a silver lining in every cloud.

fposter,small,wall_texture,square_product,600x600.u1.jpg

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

maybe it's 3d chess and you're getting your wish of bottoming out. 

There's a silver lining in every cloud.

fposter,small,wall_texture,square_product,600x600.u1.jpg

Could have bottomed out a little more cheaply so Danny would have had some more cap space to weaponize come next year trade deadline.

Oh well now let R ride...SMGDH.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Thing is, he's a pretty average goalie in the KHL. 13th in SV% and 12th in GAA (or reversed, I forget).

I think you're being generous.

Not from the stats I see how about 35th.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think you're being generous.

Not from the stats I see how about 35th.

I was going with here:

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1218/sv_pct/

Which I now see is playoff stats... 🤪

so here for regular season:

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1217/gaa/

16th

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1217/sv_pct/

27th

But, yeah, puzzling...

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

I was going with here:

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1218/sv_pct/

Which I now see is playoff stats... 🤪

so here for regular season:

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1217/gaa/

16th

https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1217/sv_pct/

27th

But, yeah, puzzling...

Well those numbers differ greatly from the numbers reported by Eliteprospects which is screen shot in the tweet.

But whatever at this point we are discussing deck chair features on the titanic lol

As @flyercanuck says the new boss feels almost like the old boss...

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

the new boss feels almost like the old boss...

I'm not at all there yet. Seeler, Fedotov, and The Missing Fourth Rounder aren't the end of all things.

Yet.

It's when they throw everything up in the air to sign Reinhart and Guentzel and then sign Zaitzev and Barrie.

Trust, but verify.

:5a6425fa25331_VikingSkoool:

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

lol

The only way that is even a plan is that they signed him to this ludicrous number so when he is waived no one will even touch him with a ten foot pole with that contract - that reeks of Chuck Fletcher mastermind way of making guys pass thru waivers.

I would have taken a swing at Stolarz first before handing him this contract.

At least Stollie has a proven track record in the NHL as a tandem goalie.

Can't wait to hear @flyercanuck thoughts.

In a rebuild this just makes no sense...

Occ:

I agree the amount seems high.  The term--when you have Petersen (a possible buyout this year) getting paid 5 million for AHL work, I will at least something for this guy.  BTW--my gut says Florida resigns Stolarz.

I am sure the airwaves and blogosphere will go ape over the amount, which does seem high.  Whether Briere is drinking the same Kool Aid as his predecessors, that seems a bit overstated, but I understand your PTSD from Flyers history.

12 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

BTW--my gut says Florida resigns Stolarz.

They have cap issues.

I would have waited to see for sure.

And there would be other options as well.

If this wasn't a rebuild sure it may make more sense but yeah we know it's a make the playoffs and anything can happen plan again.

14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I am sure the airwaves and blogosphere will go ape over the amount

Actually you be surprised at the amount of Kool aid drinkers who have liked and defended it.

But hey it's only 49 years and counting...

• Like 1

Assuming Fedotov's salary is $3.25mil he's now earning more than Ersson. Well I didn't see that coming. What he did in the KHL doesn't interest me bc I don't think it's a reliable indicator on how he'll fare in the NHL. Shooters maybe but goalies not so much.

So the goaltending cap hit is under $6mil. Can't really complain about that. They're a rebuilding team and maybe one (or both) proves he's worth keeping for the longer term...

• Good Post 1

3 minutes ago, GratefulFlyers said:

the goaltending cap hit is under $6mil.

In my rebuild that is 2 mill per too much.

2mill they could have used to take on assets for picks or prospects later.

If this was a push for the playoffs maybe just maybe this would make some sense but it's a rebuild - but oh wait nevermind.

:bonkingheadonwall:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If this was a push for the playoffs

It makes zero sense if Briere thought they were PO-bound next year. As it is - and I agree it's too much for Fedotov  - it's not a crippling contract when you realize the overall cap hit for goaltending is not even $6mil. Why Briere thought $3.25 was appropriate is beyond me though...

I happen to think Ersson is much better than his numbers but Fedotov? He may be too but so far we have nothing to suggest he is.

• Uggh... 1

Well with what the guy has been through to get here, I'm happy he gets this kind of money on a personal note. About time something good happens to him.

That's about the only positive angle I can find about this deal. For the life of me, I don't get 3.2 per from a hockey perspective. It doesn't really hurt us, cap wise, but doesn't it set precedence for others low to mid level guys who now wants above that?

• Like 1
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, GratefulFlyers said:

So the goaltending cap hit is under $6mil.

Ok, so Fedotov is making Over $3 million for putting up lousy AHL goalie numbers...what does Ersson want for his next contract? It's completely irrational signing him to that contract. 

• Good Post 1

3 hours ago, radoran said:

Actually, 30th in SV% and 17th in GAA. He's maybe backup NHL material, making over $6 million for 2 years on a supposed rebuilding team. 

Gee, I wonder why this team never goes anywhere. SMFH!

• Good Post 1