Walker on re-entry waivers

Guest hf101

What will this be Walkers 3rd chance with the big club?? Why bother???

Because they are that thin on D right now. Walker would be an ok 5/6 D-man for the Flyers if he wasn't making 1.7 mil a season with a bump to 2 mil next year. Everyone out there knows he is ridiculously overpaid and unless they are just dead set on screwing Homer, he will make it through waivers too.

I know it doesn't help our cap situation if he's claimed but frankly I'd be happy to see him gone once and for all.

We can argue whether trading Gagne was a smart move but in the end TB - now LA - got a solid 2-way winger who puts up points and we got a banged-up stiff who hasn't done a damn thing for us. Now the only thing left is to dump him.

I know it doesn't help our cap situation if he's claimed but frankly I'd be happy to see him gone once and for all.

We can argue whether trading Gagne was a smart move but in the end TB - now LA - got a solid 2-way winger who puts up points and we got a banged-up stiff who hasn't done a damn thing for us. Now the only thing left is to dump him.

I think this move - like Nodl - is an indication that they are willing to lose players. In fact, are TRYING to lose players because of their cap and total contract situation.

Walker at $850K is not a bad deal for a team and Homer obviously feels the Flyers can swing the $850K hit if they lose him.

I'd think Bartulis comes up if Walker is claimed. His $600K plus "Walker" at $850K is still less than Walker's hit alone.

They've then freed up two contract spots as well.

Because they are that thin on D right now. Walker would be an ok 5/6 D-man for the Flyers if he wasn't making 1.7 mil a season with a bump to 2 mil next year. Everyone out there knows he is ridiculously overpaid and unless they are just dead set on screwing Homer, he will make it through waivers too.

Well I guess Holmgren felt very confident that no one would claim Walker or could it be that other teams know the way Snider is and figured it's not worthwhile to pick up Walker and screw the Flyers.[not to mention getting Walker would screw their team by having him in the lineup].

Walker would likely have been on the roster if not for cap purposes.

Yep, you're right, and I think it's unfortunate. I don't see much about Walker's game that shows he's better than any of the depth D-men we've seen the past couple years. To me he's an older, slower and more banged-up version of Ryan Parent: supposedly a stay-at-home D-man who can hit. That would be fine if it were true but can anyone recall a memorable hit he's thrown? Even the run-of-the-mill NHL forwards can skate circles around him, never mind the puck wizards and the snipers who really expose his weaknesses. Meanwhile he never makes a creative play with the puck; his passes are predictable and his skating is barely better than mine. Top it off with a cap hit that should buy you a talented 5/6 guy and it's pretty clear we got the fuzzy end of the lollipop on the Gagne deal.

I hated the Gagne salary dump for any number of reasons but to get back Walker only added insult to injury imo.

Maybe with sustained ice-time and continued health Walker can earn a 5/6 spot but I'm not banking on it. All the while I'll be wishing we were giving Bartulis the time to grow into an NHL D-man.