Our Defence Next Season?

Guest idahophilly

Just getting a jump on talking about next season and yes, this is throwing the cart ahead of the hoarses. But just for fun...

Has anyone discussed what happans IF Pronger comes back next season and I hope he does? Carl, Cobourn, Timmo, Kubina, Grossmann, Mezaros, Guffs, Lilja, Bourdon, Pronger, Walker, Marshall... Thats a lot of d-men and hands down the most powerful d in the NHL! Do we let one or two walk? Trade a few for another need? How possibly could the kids get any real playing time? Just questions I have been pondering...

The same question could even apply to our offence!

And we have Bob (expensive backup), Bryz, Leighton stuffed in the minors along with Brueshetta Bread guy and I think another promising pickup.

Many decisions...

Well. Carle can walk because Gus is carle but cheaper. Pronger I doubt comes back next year. He still having severe symptoms. He had to leave the game he was at in the 2nd period. The biggest question is the cba. Allowing a one time buy out of a contract. If I'm homer I think briere falls in that slot. 6.5 in cap space relieved and it allows schenn and couts to play their normal roles. However schenn isn't going to give you 60 points a year nor is couts. So it's a drop off from your 1st line center so I'm not sure about that option. Gross man must be resigned and I believe he is higher of importance then carle. Kubina I'm not sure about.

Well. Carle can walk because Gus is carle but cheaper. Pronger I doubt comes back next year. He still having severe symptoms. He had to leave the game he was at in the 2nd period. The biggest question is the cba. Allowing a one time buy out of a contract. If I'm homer I think briere falls in that slot. 6.5 in cap space relieved and it allows schenn and couts to play their normal roles. However schenn isn't going to give you 60 points a year nor is couts. So it's a drop off from your 1st line center so I'm not sure about that option. Gross man must be resigned and I believe he is higher of importance then carle. Kubina I'm not sure about.

I didn't hear that about Pronger having to leave. That sucks. But if he can't and the CBA allows a buyout, isn't Pronger being bought out more important?

Buying pronger out even in 2013 after a year of ltir will result in no cap space freeing if we buy out briere the year before. My suggestion of buying out briere next year would save 6.5 mil. Could be used for a damn like Suter or trading for weber.

Also buying out briere and removing Shelly and the added 5 mil in cap space from cba and pronger on ltir gives us 25 mil in space. However that doesn't include a weber trade involving jvr and picks or combination of some sort. Also the new cba's cap numbers which could be cut from 69 mil as of July 1st 2012 to up to 20 percent as of sept 1st 2012. So there is a lot of questions

I didn't hear that about Pronger having to leave. That sucks. But if he can't and the CBA allows a buyout, isn't Pronger being bought out more important?

also I'm pretty sure if pronger isn't medically cleared to play he can't be bought out or moved traded

Michael Leighton's deal is up this summer. I doubt he returns.

I am willing to bet that Bob is traded along with roster player for a high draft pick this summer.

I doubt Leighton returns as well. Something else must've happened behind the scenes. you don't give a guy a two year deal to play 1 game

at the beginning of the season id have said "nooooooooooooooo" to Bob being dealt (mainly due to the fact that I really got behind Bob after his rookie season and believed and still do that given the time to adjust and develop he would become one of the better goalies in this league) but now it has sunken in with me that he will be relegated to back-up here for a while so may as well get value for him now.

However he is under a 35+ contract so flyers still on the hook for whole length of contract and cap

So that's what they get for throwing the old guy a bone, huh. Make that a LOT of bones.

@idahophilly

I agree with the posters who point out that Pronger can't be bought out. I understand he's had some "good days" lately, but that's a long way from ready to play. I suspect he's done and the new CBA may provide us with some relief from his contract. I also agree that Briere would be a prime candidate to be bought out. He's on the downside and we desperately need his cap space.

I don't see us trading Bob. He's pricy for a back up but he's a damn good one to have around. He isn't ready to be a #1, so I don't see us getting any big offers (like a top 4 defenseman).

I'd like to see Carle resigned. He's an excellent defenseman who we would miss a lot were he to leave.

Timo will play out his contract, Mezsaros, Coburn, Bourdon and Lilja are all signed and in the mix. Grossmann should definitely be resigned for reasons you all know. I'm on the fence about Gus because of his size and I wouldn't put him in the top 7. Kubina has been a disappointment and I can't imagine him being resigned. I like our depth with Gus and Manning as call ups.

Especially if we can get some relief on Pronger's contract and a buy out of Briere, I'd like to see us go after Suter. He would be a nice addition to the group. I've somewhat changed my mind about his value to the Flyers, mostly due to the emergence of Coburn and Grossmann as a shut down pairing. We can add someone like Suter now that we have found a way to replace Pronger's minutes against top scoring lines.

As far as the defense next year, you figure , Mez, Timo,Bourdon, Coburn are all signed. Grossman gets re-signed, and now the last spot is all depending on how the market goes. I think Holmgren sees what the contract cost is for Suter and what it might take to trade for Webber , of course if Suter is signed by anyone, then Nashville will do whatever it takes to keep Webber . If Suter is re-signed then maybe we throw a huge RFA offer to Webber and see how that goes. If all else fails they will probably try to re-sign Carle, and overpay. Carle ,like most players in a contract yea,r is having his best year ever. The question is ...does he, like most players drop off a few notches after signing a big new deal.

Pronger is done

Kubina wont be re-signed

Lilja had a one yr deal he is gone

Walker I think is also done

I think the 7th spot will be Manning and Gus fighting it out, unless we sign a cheap vet who has no other options to a 1 yr deal, which might be a good idea consdidering how our dmen are injured all the time.

Bourdon has really looked good in his latest callup, and he did put a number of accurate point shots on net in the Ranger game, they were not rockets, but unlike Carle and Coburn his shots actually made it to the net and were nice and low, and they did get some scoring chances off those shots. I think with more time and confidence Bourdon might start becoming more of an offensive force for us.

There is still a chance that JVR gets traded for a top young dman, since we are stacked at forward and Wellwood looks real good. If JVR is dealt, we have to get something good, because he probably will be a real good player, so we need an equally talented young dman or a top 5 pick for him. We were looking at Schenn in Toronto...Will Luke Schenn become a Scott Stevens type , a big hitting, physical shutdown dman , or wont he . We check all or options and get the best possible deal if we do give up on JVR.

everything i've read has said suter and carle are about the same player, so for me i don't want to pay carle 6.5+ so there's my input on suter, too expensive and will make carle look like nik lidstrom on this board if he plays "his game" which is the same as Carle's.

kubina if the price is right gives us a right hand shot and some veteran savvy and good size. but not for more than 2 years.

bourdon ...gus... have built in disadvantages, manning might become something.

i'd like to see grossman resigned as would everyone else, i don't want to give up 3 roster players for Weber nor do i want another 15 year contract on the books.

i'm not sure what the answer is but as much as i would love to have weber on this team as it's leader i think the price will be too steep. i don't want suter so that leaves what

jackman in st louis ? subban in mtl ? i just don't know.

nothing sounds like . boom there's the ticket.

Resign Grossman and Carle. I don't think Suter will be as good without Weber by his side. Think of it as the new Pronger effect.

Timonen/Coburn

Carle/Grossman

Meszaros/Lilja

That allows the young guys to gel in the AHL. If Carle cannot be resigned, move Meszaros in place and backfill with Bourdon. Hopefully the top AHL pair would be Manning/Gus, which still leaves a relevant slot for Lauridsen/Kessel/Bartulis.

Just getting a jump on talking about next season and yes, this is throwing the cart ahead of the hoarses. But just for fun...

Has anyone discussed what happans IF Pronger comes back next season and I hope he does? Carl, Cobourn, Timmo, Kubina, Grossmann, Mezaros, Guffs, Lilja, Bourdon, Pronger, Walker, Marshall... Thats a lot of d-men and hands down the most powerful d in the NHL! Do we let one or two walk? Trade a few for another need? How possibly could the kids get any real playing time? Just questions I have been pondering...

The same question could even apply to our offence!

And we have Bob (expensive backup), Bryz, Leighton stuffed in the minors along with Brueshetta Bread guy and I think another promising pickup.

Many decisions...

I think there will be some drastic changes on defense.

I think Pronger will retire.

I think Carle walks as a free agent

Here is my defense for next season

Coburn

Kimo

Grossman - love his game and they have to resign him

Suter - I think he is the Flyers Free Agent signing

Mez - when healthy has an all around game

Either Gus or Bourdon

7th Defenseman - Oliver Laurridson of the Phantoms. He is huge 6'6 and plays a very physical game with an edge. I think he surprises in camp and makes the team as the 7th guy.