Breaking News! Neal will have 2 seperate

Guest pensuck

They showed Mario in the owner's box at one point and he did not look happy.

Also saw some Pens fans say their radio guys were talking about him waiting for the team at the locker room, looking pissed. Could be because of the 0-3 thing, but I'd be willing to bet it was about the way they went about it.

I was part of the standing ovation that Philadelphia gave him at the Big Bank Building after his last game in 1997. One of my most cherished hockey moments.

If anything *he* should consider suspending some players regardless of what the league does.

I was at that game too. That was pretty special to get a standing o from us. Do u think Cindy would get the same treatment 10 - 15 years from now in Philly? :)

hearings on teusday while Asham has 1 hearing @ 11. Who know's, they may both get a little well desrved "time off"...

That Neal has two seperate meetings concerns me.

His actions are a part of the whole of the game...you can't fine him 2500$ for his hit on Couts, than break it down later and fine him 2500 for Giroux. You have to look at his hits as a whole.

For this reason i predict Neal gets two fines.

Hope i'm wrong

I was at that game too. That was pretty special to get a standing o from us. Do u think Cindy would get the same treatment 10 - 15 years from now in Philly? :)

Real hockey fans appreciate the greats. It's like when Gordie Howe was on the ice for Mark Howe's night. It's Gordie Freakin' Howe!

Mario is an all-time great and Philadelphia appreciated what he gave to the league and to the sport.

Crosby may never win another Cup and could be a Leaf after next season if not before.

Did any of you guys watch the replay after Hartnell got tossed of Berube talking to Zac & Simmonds? Do you think he was telling them to play it cool or retaliate in the right way?

Simmonds went up to Neal after that and had some words & a few cross checks but nothing to serious.

• Like 1

I just saw the Couturier hit... it's not clear from the angles I saw whether or not he targeted the head. What is clear is that Couturier was no longer part of the play (puck was gone) and he was defenseless. Neal had plenty of time to let up.

Are there other angles that show clearly that Coots was hit in the head?

I just saw the Couturier hit... it's not clear from the angles I saw whether or not he targeted the head. What is clear is that Couturier was no longer part of the play (puck was gone) and he was defenseless. Neal had plenty of time to let up.

Are there other angles that show clearly that Coots was hit in the head?

It's not the Couturier hit that's necessarily suspendable for targeting the head, it's the Giroux hit moments later.

The Couturier play, however, is clear intent to injure (leaving the feet, defenseless player who has no reason to expect to be hit).

The officials lost that game early and proved to be worse than your average NHL crew - which is really saying something...

i'll just leave this quote from mario, last year, here...

"Hockey is a tough, physical game, and it always should be," the Penguins owner and Hall of Famer said in a statement released by the team. "But what happened Friday night on Long Island wasn't hockey. It was a travesty. It was painful to watch the game I love turn into a sideshow like that.

The NHL had a chance to send a clear and strong message that those kinds of actions are unacceptable and embarrassing to the sport. It failed."

It's not the Couturier hit that's necessarily suspendable for targeting the head, it's the Giroux hit moments later.

The Couturier play, however, is clear intent to injure (leaving the feet, defenseless player who has no reason to expect to be hit).

The officials lost that game early and proved to be worse than your average NHL crew - which is really saying something...

I agree.. the hit on Giroux was much more blatant for targeting the head. What a gong show this series has become.

Couturier wasn't even NEAR the puck. I still don't understand how that wasn't a charge/interference/roughing but Schenn's hit was? I was talking to a Pens fan earlier at work and she was even saying the refs completely blew that game up and that Asham, Neal, and Adams should be suspended for the remainder of the playoffs and possibly next year. Then you look at the Weber hit and Carkner going after Boyle (really that only got 1 game?) I wouldn't be surprised if they get a $2,500 fine.

Bob McKenize makes the distinction between "unsuspecting" and "defenceless" in his discussion of a different hit.

An unsuspecting player puts himself in that situation, whereas, a defenceless player is one who has no reasonable expectation of being hit.

Simmonds went up to Neal after that and had some words & a few cross checks but nothing to serious.

I assume Simmonds invited him to throw down and Neal declined. At that point in the game, he probably should have taken him up on it, after which Simmonds would have beaten the piss out of him and the whole thing would have ended. Instead, he's going to be a marked man until he mans up and settles it the way he knows he's supposed to.

That Neal has two seperate meetings concerns me.

His actions are a part of the whole of the game...you can't fine him 2500$ for his hit on Couts, than break it down later and fine him 2500 for Giroux. You have to look at his hits as a whole.

For this reason i predict Neal gets two fines.

Hope i'm wrong

However, in the second hearing they would have to take into consideration that he is a two time repeat offender. He's been suspended before and now he'd have a fine on top of that going into the Giroux hearing.

I'll tell you, it will be very very difficult for the NHL to justify not suspending Neal. Not saying they won't fine him and then try to justify it. Nothing is beneath them now, but it will be very difficult to do that.

If Neal plays he will have a target on his back. I would hate to see it because it would be a distraction for the mission at hand which is eliminating the Penguins.

I'll tell you, it will be very very difficult for the NHL to justify not suspending Neal. Not saying they won't fine him and then try to justify it. Nothing is beneath them now, but it will be very difficult to do that.

If Neal plays he will have a target on his back. I would hate to see it because it would be a distraction for the mission at hand which is eliminating the Penguins.

Interesting take on the "two hearing" set up, where the logic is "you're already a repeat offender, you put a dangerous hit on Couturier, for which we're going to fine you, and then you put a head shot on Giroux, for which we have to suspend you because we just fined you..." I don't think we should assume anything because of the two hearings, but what you are suggesting provides the league with a lot of cover.

I also agree that the league and Neal are better off if he is suspended for at least a game. If he plays and the Flyers go up by 3 late in the third, the circus could start again. Neal might get hurt and the league would take another black eye.

Neal was also fined earlier this year, I believe.

EDIT: Yup. $2500 for a high stick on Subban back in November. Plus his 2-game suspension in Dallas.

Edited by AJgoal

They flew home as they knew it would be colon blow in their food if they stayed here

It is a shame, we are insulting punks, weasels and morons who probably have some redeeming qualities in life & the ecological cycle by calling the Penguins players their names or species

We need a new description for the Pens that does not offend other living beings on our planet. Even Pond Scum is part of the eco cycle

EDIT: Yup. $2500 for a high stick on Subban back in November. Plus his 2-game suspension in Dallas.

I'm starting to think he may be suspended.

This guy really is running out of reasons not to be suspended. I really hope the NHL recognizes this and does the right thing.

This guy really is running out of reasons not to be suspended. I really hope the NHL recognizes this and does the right thing.

with 2 separate hearings, i'd find it very hard to believe if he's not suspended. i really think he'll be fined like $2500 for the cooter hit and suspended a game for the giroux hit. and i think that's going easy on him. i would like to see 3 games for the giroux hit and a game for the cooter hit.

neal will have to answer the bell at some point. highly doubtful that it's this year, but players have a long memory for shenanigans like that. he will be remembered next year in the first game vs. pitt. you can put that one in your calendar right now. or as soon as the nhl schedule is out. ;)

Did anyone notice on the Couturier hit that Neal changes direction to come back and hit Couts? He is skating out to center ice and then, after the puck is chipped back into the zone, cuts back and lines up the hit. As if at first he's getting back to position and then sees a defenseless player prime for a cheap shot. Unbelievable.

Did anyone notice on the Couturier hit that Neal changes direction to come back and hit Couts? He is skating out to center ice and then, after the puck is chipped back into the zone, cuts back and lines up the hit. As if at first he's getting back to position and then sees a defenseless player prime for a cheap shot. Unbelievable.

I really think that if you are guilty of that you could just come out and admit it. Just say "Yeah, it was wrong and I apologize. It was very poor judgement and that is not the type of player I want to be."

You'd get respect from your own team/fans, and the opposing team/fans. Plus you'd probably get some leniency from the league. Why is honesty such a foreign concept?

@Phillygrump

I'm curious if remorse shown in those post-game interviews has an affect on further disciplinary actions. Guys who say, 'I lost my head, I don't know what I was thinking, I hope 'so and so' is alright,' ought to get more respect than Neal's f'ing, 'I thought he still had the puck but apparently, despite being an All Star, I'm completely unaware of where things are on the ice, and I tried to avoid him, I swear!' But I bet it's actually the opposite. Malicious action takes a back seat to supposedly non-malicious intent.

I really think that if you are guilty of that you could just come out and admit it. Just say "Yeah, it was wrong and I apologize. It was very poor judgement and that is not the type of player I want to be."

You'd get respect from your own team/fans, and the opposing team/fans. Plus you'd probably get some leniency from the league. Why is honesty such a foreign concept?

I think most times, players will do that. But what Crosby did yesterday in the post-game presser tells me we are definitely in his head. Flicking away a glove is poor sportsmanship, but no different than stealing game pucks. The difference is in how they address the media. Pronger was just funny about the whole thing whereas Crosby seemed genuinely rattled.

I formed my opinion on the Couts and Giroux hits while the play was happening. I initially gave Neal a pass on the Couts hit because it was kind of bang band (the replay is not nearly as kind). As bad as it looks (and it is malevolent hit) on replay, players have talked themselves out of suspensions on those hits before. The Giroux hit, however, was dirty, cheap and dangerous and has absolutely no reasonable explanation to back up the action. I expect a one game suspension, but want 3. A fine will simply not cut it.