Anybody nervous that they come out flat on Sunday?

Guest PHI Flyers10

The Devils fans are hyping up their team and talking about their amazing depth and blah blah blah. I really don't think the Devils are that deep. Sure their third line was solid during the regular season and their fourth played well last series, but they don't have the depth to compare to the Flyers. Nobody in their right mind should think that Clarkson is really a 30 goal scorer, especially when he only had 16 assists. Doesn't sound like a well-rounded player to me.

I'm confident the Flyers take it in 5, however, I'm a little worried the Flyers will be overconfident and have had this whole week off, which could mean they come out flat like Nashville did last night. I'm expecting the Flyers to lose a game, but I'm not sure about 4 straight wins if they lose tomorrow. With the team's tendency to start off weak in their games, is anybody else a little concerned about tomorrow?

Little bit. Maybe Giroux will bring the intensity and lead the team again. Hopefully they start to look at this as not just a playoff appearance to make noise, but an opportunity. Plus, they are probably itching to play after the break and NJ is coming off a very high feeling and a win over FLA. Either team is in danger of a let down, but its the playoffs so how can you not be excited and ready?

• Like 1

With the Flyers you always have to be worried about that. But, I get this feeling that Giroux, Briere and company wont let that happen. If they loose, it wont be for lack of effort is what I think. I say Flyers in 6 but who knows (obviously). I can't give any good reasons for my gut feeling except there is this determination and ability to overcome things other teams would not be able to do. From Jagr to Giroux, ALL the kids and the other vets there seems to be a will of power that I have not seen for a very long time. On top of that, they are truely having fun and working for EACH other. We will see soon enough!

It's possible, of course, but I am sure Laviolette will do his best to get his team ready. The first period may be a lull, but by the time the second period starts, the Flyers will realize the second round has already started.

I have no worries; this is an easy opponent for the Flyers and they will be in the finals of the ECF.

• Like 1

I always worry about a slow start.....that has been our M.O. for most of the season.

with that being said..I still think that we have more depth. I say Lavy calls a TO mid of 1st period if they do come out flat.

The good thing for us is that the Flyers open at home, so they won't have all 12 of the Devils fans giving New Jersey some momentum.

12 might be a little generous. I picked up tix for game 3 downstairs from ticketmaster with no problem. By the looks of prices on StubHub, plenty of room for a Flyers invasion!

12 might be a little generous. I picked up tix for game 3 downstairs from ticketmaster with no problem. By the looks of prices on StubHub, plenty of room for a Flyers invasion!

It's sad how such a good franchise has so few fans, but the current fans will defend to death that there are a lot of them. Seems legit.

Flyers can come out flat and dead on any given night regardless of any circumstance. That being said they can go down 3-0 in the 1st and come back in the 2nd and 3rd which happened to them on several occasions already. They are a good team and any team can beat any team in the playoffs but I'm confident we can take them if we play our game offensively and we continue to help Bryz out.

• Like 1

I'm not really nervous that they might come out flat, I'm sort of expecting it. And I won't be nervous even if they drop Game 1, unless Bryzgalov completely shtts the bed, because I think they are better than the Devils enough to sandbag a game or even two. But my poor heart would much prefer they don't test that theory.

• Like 1

Ya I'm like you Ted, I really don't wanna give the Devils anything. Everybody seems to be predicting a Flyers' cake-walk and I'm not so sure. Zajac is back, Parise, Kovy are always dangerous and our Big Humongous Question Mark is just that - a big question-mark. Will Bryzgalov melt down into a puddle of steaming excrement or will he play like an NHL goalie?

If he's good, or at least "okay" then I guess we'll be fine. But don't be surprised if this series goes 6 or 7...

I won't be surprised, I kind of expect it. Frustrating as it is, that's what this team does a lot. I hope they get their **** together quick though, because there is zero chance net play steals them a game.

Flyers can come out flat and dead on any given night regardless of any circumstance. That being said they can go down 3-0 in the 1st and come back in the 2nd and 3rd which happened to them on several occasions already. They are a good team and any team can beat any team in the playoffs but I'm confident we can take them if we play our game offensively and we continue to help Bryz out.

While they have proven to be capable of doing this, it's a lot tougher to do it against the trap than it is against a "river hockey" team with shakey goaltending. This is a team you want an early lead on, make them open up. It ain't their game.

• Like 1

We're not facing a similar team to ourselves this time, the way we were in R1. Against the Devils we don't want to get lulled into a slowed-down version of the game. Chip pucks past the N-zone defenders, gain possession and manage the puck. The hell with their "trap" game, or "hybrid trap" - whatever they call it. We don't want to match it we want to exploit it by moving the puck. Passing is faster than skating, chipping deep is more effective than [attempting to] weaving through 3 defenders.

The forwards will need some of that "patience" the players have been talking about this week. The breakouts will work if the fwds don't get ahead of the play. We won't stretch pass through the Devils' D too often. Short, quick passes up ice, gain the red line and dump it deep, away from Brodeur. We get our cycle game/ forecheck going consistently and I guarantee Marty will announce his retirement in approximately 2 weeks....and the Flyers will be the team who sends him off!

Edited by canoli

The Flyers came out as flat as most of us expected. Well, I don't think anyone expected 0-11 shot disadvantage type of flat, maybe just the one goal down kind of flat. But they did wake up and triple the number of shots Jersey got off after that. More importantly, they doubled the amount of goals scored after that as well.