2 weak goals again by Bryz

Guest RonJeremy

I admit, i didn't even read your response fully.

well, job well done on that, then.

You are a negative, negative, negative person

no, i'm not.

*rimshot*

If you SERIOUSLY think he has not kept them in these two games you have no hockey credibility left, which you had little of to begin with.

well, obviously, he did. there were more shots against him than there were goals. thus, he kept them in games. they weren't "holy crap he just robbed so-and-so, how did he get all the way across to make that save, amazing work by bryzgalov" saves. they were "and he smothers the puck that was shot into his chest" saves. he hasn't stood on his head, he hasn't staved off a creative and overwhelming offense, he hasn't been a large scale difference maker. he's stopped a lot of shots into his body, due to good positioning. which is awesome...though (i'm repeating myself here, but you missed this part because you didn't read my post), i would hope that a goalie who has risen to the most elite league in the world would have pretty good positioning. so, kinda pretty ok goaltending, but i'm not gonna stand up and clap for that....

...because then he allows very iffy goals on a regular basis. sure, he "kept them in games", but he also let a bunch of pucks leak through, and when 2 of 3 games go to OT, and your goalie was litterally porous through regulation, he has to share in the blame, doesn't he? the third devil's goal, bryzgalov's singular lack of lateral mobility means he can't get back to the post to compensate for carle's weak coverage. carle blew it on that one, but the ability to move side-to-side is a basic skill that goaltenders are supposed to have..and you would figure one of the 30 best goalies in the world would be really good at it. except bryzgalov is terrible in that area. bryzgalov's failure in this very basic and fundemental goaltending skill means he shares the blame with carle on the goal, which means he is partially why the game went to overtime, which in turn means he played a part in the flyer's loss.

finally, and again, repeating becuase reading tires you out, 20 players are coming up short for the flyers right now. bryzgalov is not singularly to blame, but he is part of it. a little bit more from the offense and the flyers score an extra goal and win it in regulation. a little bit more from bryzgalov and they don't need the extra goal to get the win. no one on the team was impressive and everyone came up short. a nice shot from carle that scored a goal doesn't excuse his mistakes that led to goals, and neither do a few decent saves from bryzgalov make the softies ok.

You argue for the sake of arguing and I have no time for that!

but you have time to tell me you have no time. you're an odd one.

sure, if you can back them up. i think the fact i actually took the time to explain my point of view would suggest that.

so, what of it? are a couple weak goals excusable if the rest of the game was fairly solid? the softest of the bunch, the one that absolutely should have been stopped, was the one that tied the game up and sent it to overtime. is bryzgalov really completely off the hook for that?

• Like 1

OK, I'll engage you. You ask if he is completly off the hook for the weak goals? Absoluty valid question. But he HAS made many, many fantastic saves as well many solid saves. You don't give him credit for those. Now, this team is struggling and may be out of it by Tuesday. But a goaltender is as only as good as a the team in front of them and the team is only as good as the goaltender behind them! But BRYZ is not as bad as it shows because of the team in front of him. Nor is the team as bad because of the goaltender in front of him. (geez, I confused myself! LOL)

Where the hell is Hartnell? Giroux? Valid questions amongst many I'd say! But, you make it sound like the whole team sucks and needs to be blown up based on 2 games. Yes, the most important 2 games so far this year but hardly even CLOSE to a failure.

They spent themselves last series. Good excuse... NO! But in the real world, understandable.

It's only game 3 so far so I take exception to someone acting as if the entire team sucks after 3 games. Maybe they do. Maybe they dont. But Aziz, you will attack me again but you come out of the wood work when the Flyers loose or struggle. Not when they win.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start a fight but I will call it like I see it...

Best. Idaho-

• Like 1

I think we can all agree that the team has been playing like crap in front of Bryz and he is not 100% to blame for the losses.

I think what frustrates those of us who are proactive about getting on Bryz is that what we are ablolutely dying for our goalie to win or "steal" a game for us here and there when the team in front of him plays like the turdfest that they are doing right now. That doesn't mean that we are asking him to win all games when the rest of the team sucks but a few would really help.

Secondly I think we would like to see him stop stoppable shots. He can make all the circus saves he wants but if he gives up a backbreaking trickler at the worst time that basically undoes all of his herioc efforts from earlier in the game. I cant fault him for goals like the Kovalchoke goal where he was left hung out to dry with the bad defense but the 1st goal from last night was awful becuase it went right through his arms. He had a good look at it, it wasnt tipped and it went through him and sapped any momentum we had by scoring 1st.

To recap, we Bryz bashers are not saying that it is all his fault or that rest of the team doesnt need to step it up, they do, but we do need the $51 Million man to earn his keep and be the guy he was advertised to be, stop the stoppable ones and steal a game here and there. If he does that then he cant be faulted as he is doing all he can. I do not think he is doing all he can nor is he playing to his potential. He is not supposed to be Boucher or Leighton he is supposed to be a star goalie and instead he at times plays like Kari Takko re-incarnate.

But he HAS made many, many fantastic saves as well many solid saves. You don't give him credit for those

solid, sure. fantastic, i can't go there. i think expectations are really low in philly. this is a fantastic save:

bryzgalov doesn't make many of those. quick makes them once per period, minimum. the day and night between the outstanding goaltending some teams get versus the pretty ok the flyers get is, well, day and night. how many kings' defenders completely blew it leading to that scoring chance in the video? and yet, there's quick to clean things up. that is what "fantastic" goaltending can do for a team. flyers fans don't expect that anymore. now, holding onto the puck on a shot from the blueline is considered high end.

go youtube "jonathan quick" and set the filter to "uploaded this week" and look at the huge number of mind blowing saves coming from that guy, several each game. LA does not have an amazing defense, but quick covers up for them again and again and again. now, do the same for bryzgalov. you'll see the big save on letang (*that* was fantastic*) and...this:

puck hits him and he covers the rebound. the only highlight to come from bryzgalov in the last week is...solid. and then this comes along and makes a few solid saves less...impressive:

on the balance, bryzgalov has been pretty ok. which isn't good enough in the playoffs.

Where the hell is Hartnell? Giroux? Valid questions amongst many I'd say! But, you make it sound like the whole team sucks and needs to be blown up based on 2 games. Yes, the most important 2 games so far this year but hardly even CLOSE to a failure.

i didn't say that. i didn't even kind of say that. the flyers have another gear, and if they find it, the devils are history. for some reason, the flyers haven't found it to this point, and that is worrying. two games, now, where new jersey really looks like the better team. i *know* they aren't the better team, the flyers are heads and shoulders above the debbies in terms of capability...and yet, the flyers have come up very short over the last couple games. you mention hartnell and giroux, and i'll add to that jagr and talbot. grossmann hasn't looked very good...everyone looks a step behind the level the devils are bringing. that needs to get straightened out quickly, or my negativity versus your optimism won't mean a thing because the flyers will be golfing by mothers' day. it CAN get straightened out, the flyers CAN be better. the just need to actually do that, now.

They spent themselves last series. Good excuse... NO! But in the real world, understandable.

i agree. i'll go further and say they are just having a tough time finding motivation against the devils. the pens' series was based on real hate, and they found energy from that. the hate isn't there with the devils, and the guys are having a tough time getting themselves into the flow. again, i get that. totally understandable. but it will end their season if they don't figure out how to step past that and quick.

It's only game 3 so far so I take exception to someone acting as if the entire team sucks after 3 games. Maybe they do. Maybe they dont. But Aziz, you will attack me again but you come out of the wood work when the Flyers loose or struggle. Not when they win.

that isn't true. i'm here all season, after most every game, win or lose. wasn't here at all, though, after the loss in game 2. i tore my computer apart during the game and took two days to get it back together. so, i posted after the game 1 win, but not the game 2 loss. fwiw

and i don't think the team sucks after 3 games. i think the team sucked *during* 3 games. there's a difference. they don't suck overall, but they are showing us they can suck from time to time. they'd better not suck on sunday, because they are starting to run out of chances to not suck.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to start a fight but....

right. go back and read a your last several posts and say that again.

Edited by aziz

@aziz

and i don't think the team sucks after 3 games. i think the team sucked *during* 3 games. there's a difference. they don't suck overall, but they are showing us they can suck from time to time. they'd better not suck on sunday, because they are starting to run out of chances to not suck. lol.

so in other words they just sucked less then the penguins :P

solid, sure. fantastic, i can't go there. i think expectations are really low in philly. this is a fantastic save:

bryzgalov doesn't make many of those. quick makes them once per period, minimum. the day and night between the outstanding goaltending some teams get versus the pretty ok the flyers get is, well, day and night. how many kings' defenders completely blew it leading to that scoring chance in the video? and yet, there's quick to clean things up. that is what "fantastic" goaltending can do for a team. flyers fans don't expect that anymore. now, holding onto the puck on a shot from the blueline is considered high end.

go youtube "jonathan quick" and set the filter to "uploaded this week" and look at the huge number of mind blowing saves coming from that guy, several each game. LA does not have an amazing defense, but quick covers up for them again and again and again. now, do the same for bryzgalov. you'll see the big save on letang (*that* was fantastic*) and...this:

puck hits him and he covers the rebound. the only highlight to come from bryzgalov in the last week is...solid. and then this comes along and makes a few solid saves less...impressive:

on the balance, bryzgalov has been pretty ok. which isn't good enough in the playoffs.

i didn't say that. i didn't even kind of say that. the flyers have another gear, and if they find it, the devils are history. for some reason, the flyers haven't found it to this point, and that is worrying. two games, now, where new jersey really looks like the better team. i *know* they aren't the better team, the flyers are heads and shoulders above the debbies in terms of capability...and yet, the flyers have come up very short over the last couple games. you mention hartnell and giroux, and i'll add to that jagr and talbot. grossmann hasn't looked very good...everyone looks a step behind the level the devils are bringing. that needs to get straightened out quickly, or my negativity versus your optimism won't mean a thing because the flyers will be golfing by mothers' day. it CAN get straightened out, the flyers CAN be better. the just need to actually do that, now.

i agree. i'll go further and say they are just having a tough time finding motivation against the devils. the pens' series was based on real hate, and they found energy from that. the hate isn't there with the devils, and the guys are having a tough time getting themselves into the flow. again, i get that. totally understandable. but it will end their season if they don't figure out how to step past that and quick.

that isn't true. i'm here all season, after most every game, win or lose. wasn't here at all, though, after the loss in game 2. i tore my computer apart during the game and took two days to get it back together. so, i posted after the game 1 win, but not the game 2 loss. fwiw

and i don't think the team sucks after 3 games. i think the team sucked *during* 3 games. there's a difference. they don't suck overall, but they are showing us they can suck from time to time. they'd better not suck on sunday, because they are starting to run out of chances to not suck.

right. go back and read a your last several posts and say that again.

Wow! This one has vieos and all... I'll check it out latter. Looks like fun.

and when 2 of 3 games go to OT, and your goalie was litterally porous through regulation, he has to share in the blame, doesn't he?

No. Because if the team sucks then it can't be the goalie's "fault" at all. You see we're very black n white here - it's either or, it's a binary thing. Either the goalie stunk and we lost, or the team stunk and we lost. Or the goalie stunk and we won (which has been our MO this season - up until this series).

It's a shame people can't deal with even the most rudimentary nuance, such as "we lost because the goaltending was poor and the skaters didn't compete hard enough."

I wrote a post after the G2 loss, saying Bryzgalov needs to share some of the blame and got the exact same responses - "oh you never give Bryz a break" - etc. What can you do? People don't want to think about the game, they want a simple scapegoat for every loss. The past 2 nights it's easy to spot the skaters losing battles, so therefore Bryzagalov "kept them in the game" and deserves nothing but praise.

[edit: btw this isn't solely for you Idaho - it's for you and Rad and the other Bryzgalov apologists around here. But I'm sorry if I came off holier-than-thou with my preachy "people don't want to think..."

I'm tired after a long day of work and got a little snippy. Nothing personal to anybody...]

Edited by canoli

You just don't win the cup letting in soft goals, it's been proven over time. At the very least you need solid reliable goaltending (as we all know). This guy gives up to many softies, at least one or two a game on average. Well, only nine years left, on the bright side.

and when 2 of 3 games go to OT, and your goalie was litterally porous through regulation, he has to share in the blame, doesn't he?

Okay, this is what I really wanted to say to that quote:

No, Bryzgalov does not have to share the blame. Around here it's either the skaters or the goalie's fault, you picks one and you takes your choice.

If the skaters suck then obviously the goalie "kept them in the game" and deserves nothing but praise. If the skaters are good but we lose, obviously it was the goalie's fault.

Scenario 3 is the Flyers most common - the skaters are good, the goalie sucks but we win. That's been happening all season up until this round. I sure wish at least once it would work the other way - like Pouly was saying, the skaters have a bad night but the goalie is good and we win. How novel. In Philly it is.

Okay, this is what I really wanted to say to that quote:

No, Bryzgalov does not have to share the blame. Around here it's either the skaters or the goalie's fault, you picks one and you takes your choice.

If the skaters suck then obviously the goalie "kept them in the game" and deserves nothing but praise. If the skaters are good but we lose, obviously it was the goalie's fault.

Scenario 3 is the Flyers most common - the skaters are good, the goalie sucks but we win. That's been happening all season up until this round. I sure wish at least once it would work the other way - like Pouly was saying, the skaters have a bad night but the goalie is good and we win. How novel. In Philly it is.

You might as well delete this one, too. It's just as bad as the last one!!! J/K :lol:

wiseass. I'm going for sarcasm but I know I'm falling short. It's been a long hard day and I'm beat. And I hate what I'm seeing from my favorite hockey team. And I hate these Bryzgalov apologist posts. Sometimes the skaters suck AND the goalie sucks just as much, even if he does stop some of the shots.

For the record there was no screen on the first goal. Carle made the right play by getting out of the way and covering the near side with his stick. All SuperBryz had to do was cover the far side and where's he get beat? Duh.

fk Bryzgalov. I hope they buy out that stupid contract but they probably won't. Even if he wins the Cup for us this year I hope he's gone ASAP. Only 8 more years I guess.

• Like 1

fk Bryzgalov. I hope they buy out that stupid contract but they probably won't. Even if he wins the Cup for us this year I hope he's gone ASAP. Only 8 more years I guess.

I go along with that. The guy is not a winner. The skaters are equally at fault here, but that doesn't matter. He is incapable of steeling even one game - ONE STINKING GAME - in the playoffs. And that's a mark of a mediocre goalie. Even the outcasts like Esche, Chechmanek, Biron, and Boucher stole at least one game, and actually in case of Boucher and Esche, the entire series. And they weren't getting paid a fortune. This guy can't do it. He just can't. The team needed him in Game 3 and he just did what he does best - let in a goal on the shot that's completely savable.

I agree they won't buy out his contract, unless something really bizarre happens, and that's the whole tragedy of the situation.

Yeah, it's pretty obvious he's just not capable of raising his game on demand, the way clutch players do. If he was he'd have done it by now. He had a few good stretches this year, and a terrific March. Big deal. Like you said the skaters are equally (or more) at fault in R2 so far, but a $50-million man is supposed to able to steal games once in awhile. And not in November and March. He's supposed to carry us in the POs and be the difference-maker. He's been a difference-maker alright, only for the wrong team.

C'mon, the guys only been here one season. He's only 31. Lets give him 4 or 5 more years to see if he can win a game. At least by then everyone will see him for what he is, a mediocre at best goalie who can also look like one of the worst ever who has slow lateral movement, a glove that rarely actually catches the puck (yes i remember that ONE save in the Pitt series) puckhandling skills that make Biron look like Giroux and a personality only a sociopath could love.

Can anyone honestly tell the difference between Bryz and Leighton...other than the personality and the paycheck?