Mike Richards trade

Guest orange_crush

so who really won in the Mike Richards trade? Sure during the regular season it looked like the Flyers but we all know Richards is a gamer come playoff time and he's doing it again....Simmonds has been a huge dissapointment and Schenn has been just average..

I would take RIchards right now over those 2 guys..just saying

We won the trade. Everyone just got their hopes up about this playoff run (which isn't over yet) and it's easy to start pointing fingers on what went wronge... Our expectations were way to high for 50% roster turnover including 5-7 rookies every night....

• Like 2

Everybody relax. We are bashing this team way to much. Let's be serious for a second. Show of hands that thought we would win the cup this year at the beginning of the season. Not me. I'm proud of this team. Way to much heart on this team to be down on. This team has some serious injuries on it. Half the team needs surgery. Biggest names are giroux and kubina. Kubina shouldn't even be playing at all or practicing wi his injuries which are considered severe. Simmonds is hurting bad. The injury report is coming out soon and we will see why they just ran out of gas. Yes every team has injuries and such but when you shouldn't be playing and still are because it's your heart that's pushing you I see no reason to boo but only cheer no matter what the outcome.

• Like 4

so who really won in the Mike Richards trade? Sure during the regular season it looked like the Flyers but we all know Richards is a gamer come playoff time and he's doing it again....Simmonds has been a huge dissapointment and Schenn has been just average..

We traded Richards. Not Dustin Brown and Jonathan Quick.

Richards has had a nice postseason but he isn't the biggest reason or arguably even the 2nd biggest reason his team is on to the Western Conf Finals. Their best player has been Quick by a wide margin and their second best player has been Dustin Brown.

Would Richards help the Flyers right now? I don't think so because the Flyers problems are bigger than one player and no one player can fix what they are going through right now.

why do people always feel like they have to do these comparisons based on right this very second? richards was a gamer for the flyers two years ago, but was pretty much a no-show last season. remember that, the 7pts in 11gms? remember how much of a "gamer" he was in those playoffs? simmonds hasn't done a lot, but schenn has 8 points in 10 playoff games as a rookie. which, incidentally, is the same as richards, albeit in one extra game, so i'm not entirely sure how you get the "average" thing.

• Like 2

why do people always feel like they have to do these comparisons based on right this very second? richards was a gamer for the flyers two years ago, but was pretty much a no-show last season. remember that, the 7pts in 11gms? remember how much of a "gamer" he was in those playoffs? simmonds hasn't done a lot, but schenn has 8 points in 10 playoff games as a rookie. which, incidentally, is the same as richards, albeit in one extra game, so i'm not entirely sure how you get the "average" thing.

I think its not so much that they would rather trade Schenn and Simmonds back to LA for Richards as much as they would like to trade positions with the Kings. Having advanced to the Western Finals LA is in an enviable position. They are mistaking their desire to be on to the conference finals with Richards who just happens to play for the Kings.

I think its not so much that they would rather trade Schenn and Simmonds back to LA for Richards as much as they would like to trade positions with the Kings. Having advanced to the Western Finals LA is in an enviable position. They are mistaking their desire to be on to the conference finals with Richards who just happens to play for the Kings.

true enough. kind of amazing they can't see through something that thin, though, isn't it?

Patience isn't something that most Flyers fans have since the team hasn't won the cup in 37 years but has come close on occasions. I think that's why fans do these comparisons when the team makes trades and the players traded away are in a better position then the players that are on the Flyers. After all of the changes that were made this year, no one expected the Flyers to hoist the cup this year. Most fans were hoping for the team to make the playoffs and the young players get some experience and then hopefully make a run in a couple of years. But once the team beat Pittsburgh and it looked like the east was wide open with the defending champs gone all logic went out the window. My opinion, regarding the Richards trade, both teams won. The Kings got something for the present regarding a playoff performer like Richards and the Flyers got future with Simmonds and Schenn. It sucks as fan watching a player who you thought would be playing for your favourite team for a long time, ends up traded and goes to a team that could win a championship but that's sports.

Richards is playing the role he should have had in Philadelphia.

If he'd been the solid second line center with the A instead of being pumped up into the Inevitable Captain with the Lifetime Contract (too much too soon) he would have been much better in Philadelphia for much longer. With some real, consistent veteran leadership in the locker room they also might have avoided some of the allegations of shenanigans.

Both teams won that trade. All the players involved won that trade.

My main hope is that they don't make the same mistake again with Giroux.

• Like 3

The Flyers won today. I think the Flyers, Schenn and Simmonds included, have done great. As I just posted, if they would body check properly and incessantly, they can beat any team in the NHL. Schenn and Simmonds have filled needs on the roster.

Richards' act needed a new stage. Flyers fans would have moaned through many seasons of the 10-year deal with his attitude. I feel as if the Flyers amply replaced him.Glad Richards came; glad he's gone.

The Flyers deserved to lose game 4. Game 3? Tossup. Truthfully, they could EASILY (right or wrong) have won both. If Briere manages that 2-on-1 break perfectly, Sunday ends tied 3-3 and goes to overtime. If the Flyers get a break or two, no one has this "Richards vs. 10&17 trade" conversation.

I think there are a lot of good points in here about the trade and I think it was a push.

Both teams made out ok, perhaps one could argue the Flyers got better value with two contributors vs just one in Richards.

In the long run I bet it's looked at as pretty even.

Bottom line is Richards is a superstar player...he might not be at the level Crosby or Stamkos but he's s top notch player..

he's a winner when it come to big games, Calder Cup with Phantoms, Gold Medal with Team Canada , Eastern Conf champs with Flyers..

he's more of an impact player than Simmonds and Schenn are combined right now..he may not have the right personality to be a captain but who cares I would take him on my team anyday..

we could have really used him right now in this playoff series

we could have really used him right now in this playoff series

much like we could have really used him last year in the playoffs, when he was also absent.

are you guys like goldfish, and this stuff just vanishes from your head moments after it happens?

edit, blasts from the past:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the sad part, the 2 guys that are the core of the issue (Richards,Carter) were signed to monster contracts by Homer and are now untradeable

So really it's Homer's fault for over valueing Richards/Carter leadership abilities

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.< that's gotta come from the guys wearing the ties behind the bench. and recently, it hasn't been.>

this is not Lavy's fault. We have had 2 Stanley Cup winning coaches (Hitch and Lavy) and both lost the room, why?

common denominator Richards and Carter, the core leadership of this team is rotten and is time for a change. One or both of them have to go to get to the next level

Edited by aziz

@aziz

He may not have had the team on his back, but I wouldn't call him absent. Considering he was one of the teams best defensive forwards, he ended up tied for 3rd in points in the playoffs. There were a lot of guys who were a heck of a lot more absent than that.

@aziz

He may not have had the team on his back, but I wouldn't call him absent. Considering he was one of the teams best defensive forwards, he ended up tied for 3rd in points in the playoffs. There were a lot of guys who were a heck of a lot more absent than that.

we can agree or disagree about that, but at least you are saying the same thing now that you were then. some of these other people, it's night and day.

@orange_crush

I don't know if he is a superstar. All star definitely. I would put Richards on par with like a Callahan from the Rangers. Great role player that does the little things but not a superstar that can carry a team. Giroux is more of a superstar because he has prolific scoring to go along with a great two way game and strong leadership skills.

• Like 1