Carter Hatred!

Guest idahophilly

eh, whatever. The Kings will probably win a cup yay.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Quick is the reason, Jeff Carter is playing well and that is that.

Moving right along.

• Like 2

Personally, I never quite understood the pure hatred for the guy. Stats-wise, since his first full year with the Flyers, other than the 2006-2007 injury-ridden season, he never had fewer than 20 goals. So from the standpoint of production, I am not sure what more the Flyers fans expected from him.

In the playoffs, he underachieved. Everybody knows it. But so did many other Flyers players. The Flyers are perennial playoffs underachievers. To single out one guy is just unfair and biased. People will cling to that missed open net shot. OK, fine...... But for how long can that be remembered? People miss open nets all the time. It just happened to be in the most inopportune time, but **** happens.

I don't know....... I think there were plenty of players who passed through the Flyers organizaiton who gave fans a reason to be hated more than Carter did. Look no further than our current netminder (and I really don't want to start another thread about him).

I won't feel disgusted after he hoists the Cup; I realy won't be.

• Like 4

wide open net... yes but watch the youtube of the play and you'll see brian campbells stick deflect the shot... it was desparation move by Campbell that got lucky, not as everyone misrembers carter choking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_803biLoDg&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL636856108D035C31

• Like 1

LOL

...it's difficult to get past the wide open net shot game 6 two years ago....

I suppose I'm firmly in the hate camp, but that missed shot is not one that I'm fixated on and don't quite understand the fixation on it. In my memory, which is admittedly less than perfect, he was not in a position to get any leverage under the puck because of where the puck was, the angle of his stick etc. I might be wrong, but that was my view at the time. For him to put that in the net would have required changing the laws of physics.

I hate him for being a one-dimensional, if semi-responsible, somewhat lazy, soft d-bag.

EDIT: I may have to modify my memory. Need to see that from the reverse angle to see if Campbell's stick actually prevents Carter's stick from achieving the necessary lift.

Edited by Podein25

I hate him for being a one-dimensional, if semi-responsible, somewhat lazy, soft d-bag.

and that's hatred i can respect, even though my moms said i shouldn't hate anyone.

• Like 2

Yet Briere gets a full pass in the regular season. Yes, he's a scoring (exclusively) beast in the playoffs, but it would be nice if he could help the team in the regular season too.

I think Carter was a better overall player than Briere, and he still had plenty of room to elevate his game as he matured.

• Like 1

Hey guys, I had a really long defense of Carter written so I put it in the form of a blog called still a Carter fan. Thank you Supporting Member for posting that video from youtube cause it helped me with one of the points. I don't think it's gonna change your mind but I just thought you might like a devil's advocate for some of the points that have been made.

totally changing my member picture to one of carter raising the cup when it happens, so that all the haters have to see it. Unwarranted hatred, consistent numbers every year. its never one guy that makes a team bad, and the flyers were never even a bad team when he was in philly.

another random awesome carter stat: played 55 regular season games this year: lead the league in hat tricks...

Edited by clothehsnager13

Carter was aggravating for a couple reasons, spelled out nicely by Podes - especially his first 2 years with the Flyers where all he seemed to know how to do offensively was fire from the half-wall - and miss high n wide. But, and this is the part people forget, Hitch and his staff worked hard with him on his 2-way play, his defense those first couple years. They knew Carter's scoring potential - he was scoring 30+ in the OHL every season - but Hitch being Hitch wanted to drill defense into him. It paid off.

Carter is one of the best 2-way forwards in the league. He won't make everyone's Top 10 list of a dream-team but everybody has him in the Top 25 I guess. Out of all the fwds skating in the NHL that ain't too shabby.

@idahophilly

Pretty convenient that the guy that wrote that blog ignored Carter's performance in the postseason for the Flyers. He never came through in the clutch and outside of the Montreal series in 2008 he was pretty much a no show. The partying thing may have been a bit overblown. But there were certainly games that Jeff Carter took off and you had to wonder if it was because he went on a big bender the night before. I never hated Carter in Philly although after last season I saw him as an expendable piece because of his hesitancy and struggles to adapt to the wing. I dislike him more for what he did in Columbus. He milked an injury and pouted like a baby until he got his way to rejoin Richie in LA and he gets rewarded with a Cup? That just won't ever sit well with me.

• Like 2

So, I look at this issue both ways but felt this was worth a read for most Flyers fans... It's just a "FYI" kinda post.

http://my.hockeybuzz...&user_id=158515

So, what do you say? Was he as bad or aggravating as it was warented?

I'm not one for using other people's articles to justify my own feelings regarding anything. I have eyes, I can make up my own mind. I didn't like Jeff all that much when he was here. He scored a bunch but my biggest complaint about him while he was here was that he did nothing to make anyone he played with better. Blaze down the wing and shoot high and wide. Or if the shot wasn't there, he'd skate it behind the net and then dump it to someone who was in no position to do anything remotely useful with it. Hardly ever did I find myself saying "wow, nice feed from Jeff there". On top of that, the season prior to him being traded I often labeled him a line cancer (going back to my previous point of him not making anyone around him better) it actually seemed like whatever line he was put on, they'd end up doing worse after he was assigned to them. Couple that with the fact that even though he was one of the team's highest scorers, everyone knew he wasn't someone who would put the team on his back and carry them when they needed. When he got his monster deal, it led me to believe he would be a Flyer for a long time. I bemoaned the deal as I wasn't looking forward to his brand of hockey for the next decade. Focus on that statement a second, "his brand of hockey". That means, despite what one might think of his game performances, results, you can still dislike his style, his brand. I wasn't a big fan of his brand of hockey, regardless of results. I believed with all the stuff about his game that bothered me, I felt the upside wasn't worth it and aside from the season he posted a career high in goals, I saw nothing from him that we couldn't get from someone else, someone who perhaps did play a brand of hockey that suited my tastes better.

All the other nonsense about whether or not he was partying or running around cruising college chicks, well, I really didn't care. The guy is in his prime, making tons of money and has the access, so who am I to deny? I didn't feel like any of it got in the way of his game (Richards is a different story on that one).

So in the end, I didn't hate Carter, I just didn't want him on the Flyers any longer. As far as me not wanting to see him raise the cup, well, that stems more from the fact that I'm tired of seeing ex-Flyers winning it all with another team. I don't think for a second that the Flyers would've won it with him had they kept him and on top of that I'd much rather Voracek and Couts over him any day, even if he won the cup 4 years in a row with another team.

Hardly ever did I find myself saying "wow, nice feed from Jeff there". On top of that, the season prior to him being traded I often labeled him a line cancer (going back to my previous point of him not making anyone around him better) it actually seemed like whatever line he was put on, they'd end up doing worse after he was assigned to them.

I have defended Carter for what he did bring to the table, but what you've written here was the thing i couldn't defend against. it is right on the money truer words haven't been typed. I bemoaned his hockey IQ also, which i see appears to be getting better now that he's seen the 6th gate of hell that is Columbus, his game was a poor fit for our puck possession game, and while here he was unable or unwilling to modify how he played.

i'm glad for the players we got for him, and think we are better with him playing elsewhere . that said, i never hated the guy and will not be surprised to see him in an allstar game in the next couple of years, but i won't miss his game.

@clothehsnager13

totally changing my member picture to one of carter raising the cup when it happens, so that all the haters have to see it. Unwarranted hatred, consistent numbers every year. its never one guy that makes a team bad, and the flyers were never even a bad team when he was in philly.

another random awesome carter stat: played 55 regular season games this year: lead the league in hat tricks...

Carter did not lead the league in hat tricks this year, and even if he did so what?

http://www.nhl.com/i...me=gameMinimums

As a self proclaimed Kings fan living in CA, did you actually see Carter play as a Flyer enough to judge Flyer fans' general distaste for his game? Spinorama and Podein 25 and others summed it up pretty well on this thread. Notice nobody here ragging on the other ex-Flyers playing for your team, maybe there's a reason for that, hmmm?

In 47 playoff games as a Flyer, he had 2, count 'em 2, game winning goals. His playoff stats were far below his regular season numbers. His playoff +/- was on the south side of even every year, save for 2008....when it was exactly even. What does this mean? He shrunk from pressure every year.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8470604

@clothehsnager13

Carter did not lead the league in hat tricks this year, and even if he did so what?

http://www.nhl.com/i...me=gameMinimums

As a self proclaimed Kings fan living in CA, did you actually see Carter play as a Flyer enough to judge Flyer fans' general distaste for his game? Spinorama and Podein 25 and others summed it up pretty well on this thread. Notice nobody here ragging on the other ex-Flyers playing for your team, maybe there's a reason for that, hmmm?

In 47 playoff games as a Flyer, he had 2, count 'em 2, game winning goals. His playoff stats were far below his regular season numbers. His playoff +/- was on the south side of even every year, save for 2008....when it was exactly even. What does this mean? He shrunk from pressure every year.

http://flyers.nhl.co....htm?id=8470604

First off, I apologize for the "wrong" hat trick stat. ESPN fantasy has him listed with 4, which im guessing is including his hat trick from the post season. Maybe their stats are incorrect but it was just something random I noticed last night that I thought was cool. My apologies if me posting that made you angry in some way.

To answer you question: Yes. I've never missed an opportunity to see the Flyers live when they are in town. It's rare that they are in town since they play San Jose maybe once a season but even as a broke ass college student I've shelled out tons of cash to go see them at the highly over priced and over rated shark tank every year. Beyond that, I haven't missed a Flyers game since '07 so throw that on the cash pile for year after year prices on Gamecenter Live and Center Ice. So think twice before you go judging me based on location because I've seen almost every NHL game he's ever played in. I do what I can.

Yeah, nobody is really ragging on Gagne and Richards for their post season scoring but not everyone is a playoff stud. Based on his stats from this year, which are good but not great, it could mean any number of things for his playoff stuggles in Philly. Maybe it was too much pressure, maybe he was injured, maybe he was drunk, maybe a psychic told him the ghost of Rocket Richard would cut off his head if he scored too many playoff goals. I don't really care. You can't continuously use one guy as a scapegoat for not having post season success. Nobody ever said having Jeff Carter will guarantee you a cup. The Kings know that, the Flyers knew that, and because the Blue Jackets were delusional they DIDNT know that.

I'm not ecstatic that Carter didn't score at will for the Flyers in the playoffs but I am ecstatic that my favorite Flyers who got **** deal's from the Flyers organization are on the brink of winning the cup with another team that I love to watch. Would I have preferred them to win it with the Flyers? sure. But we'll never know if that was a possibility because of flighty management.

Everything has been said about this issue so I'm not going to get into an argument here just to bring it all up again. I just wanted to express my happiness about the Kings winning the cup. Sorry if I somehow offended you with my original post.

• Like 1