Flyers #20 Pick...SCOTT LAUGHTON

Guest pilldoc

I'm wondering if there isn't something brewing tradewise... Another centerman makes no sense to me, unless we need to replace someone who is part of a package for a cornerstone d-player

I'm wondering if there isn't something brewing tradewise... Another centerman makes no sense to me, unless we need to replace someone who is part of a package for a cornerstone d-player

it kinda of does, though, doesn't it? figure this guy is another couple seasons in junior, maybe a year or two in the A, so...who are the flyer's centers 3 or 4 or 5 years from now?

@

Couts, Giroux, Schenn, Talbot...Briere will be done in 3 right ?

I just don't know if that guy is the BPA at 20 , doesn't he project as a 3/4th liner ?

With a guy like Ollie Maata still available i don't get it .

• Like 1

@

I just don't know if that guy is the BPA at 20 , doesn't he project as a 3/4th liner ?

I asked the same thing on another post? I was told it might have something to do with injuries? There were still a couple other rated higher on the list still left?????

Anotther C. Anybody know anything about him. Looks like all D-men being drafted.....

Laughton is a two -way forward who is willing to grind for his team. He is a hard worker who can fight, hit and score. A versatile player, Laughton is known for being the kind of opposition people hate to play against, because of his drive and determination and his "never take a shift off? mentality. His skating could use some work. He is known to outwork his opponents. via info on teamstream

I was screaming at the TV after this pick and immediately turned the draft off... You have a guy ranked 10th overall at the 20th pick in a position of need and you draft a guy ranked 28th overall at a position of strength?

On top of that the Flames want to continue to be a joke and pick a guy who they could have gotten in the 2nd round with the 21st overall and let the Pens get Maata. Unreal!

That being said the Flyers have been successful with their 1st round picks so I'm TRYING not to get pissed off and pass judgement. The Jack Daniels isn't helping this whole anger thing after that giant question mark.

• Like 2

Laughton is a two -way forward who is willing to grind for his team. He is a hard worker who can fight, hit and score. A versatile player, Laughton is known for being the kind of opposition people hate to play against, because of his drive and determination and his "never take a shift off? mentality. His skating could use some work. He is known to outwork his opponents. via info on teamstream

Thanks HF....so when is he NHL ready...2 yrs from now or closer to 3 ???

Thanks HF....so when is he NHL ready...2 yrs from now or closer to 3 ???

I would think at least two years Laughton needs to get bigger and stronger.

Laugton is at least expected to be at least a two-way third line center with great penatly-killing capabilities. But is more likely thought to be a second line center with solid offensive upside or a go to go defensive forward.

• Like 1

@hf101 First off, it's always fun for us Ontario guys to have a Flyers first round pick reside in the OHL. I'll only get one shot to see Oshawa next year, but fc will get to see him numerous times in his conference. I honestly don't know to much about Laughton other than what I just read.....he was really not on my radar. I get the feeling he *might* have still been there in the 2nd...but who knows. We passed up on 2 good players in Ollie Matta and Brendan Gaunce. Comparing the two center ice guys, I see Gaunce's skill set a bit more likely to suit the NHL game. Bigger, stronger although both excel at the defensive side of the game. Gaunce chipped in 28 goals to Laughton's 21. Both excellent numbers for 17 year old's with an eye for the defensive aspects of the game.

I'm really hoping Laughton is a all world face off guy, that would explain a lot, a BIG weakness with our team. So we have Giroux, Briere, Couts, Schenn, Laughton....quite the crowd. It's super imporant to be strong down the middle, but the Flyers are taking it to the extreme. One guy who cannot be happy about this at all is Nick Cousins.....yet another center who will undoubtedly get lost in the shuffle. Even if Schenn gets moved to the wing,.....do we now have a 4th line 1st round pick in a few years?. In a lot of ways, this makes no sense except for the fact (I'm hoping) the Flyers honestly thought he was the best player on the board and picked him regardless of our depth at that postion. You never really get burned doing that. Like another poster said in the shout box...this kid better have off the chart intangibles!

I guess 5 years down the road you ideally have Giroux, Couturier as 1-2 guys and Laughton filling the checking role shut down 3rd line defender. I see him as a heart and soul type, the kind of gritty enthusiam you need to win the cup. Guess Schenn is moving to the wing. If that's the case, let's not waste anytime and let him learn his position and not have him playing center.

@

Exactly... I don't get it either. I do appreciate it though.. Maata will look good in black and gold I'm sure. ;) I was very surprised... I dunno what your boys are looking at there. I understand the kid is a Doan/Richards type of player, but he was WAY down on the list and in my eyes you could've done MUCH better in the #20 spot.

I was screaming at the TV after this pick and immediately turned the draft off... You have a guy ranked 10th overall at the 20th pick in a position of need and you draft a guy ranked 28th overall at a position of strength?

On top of that the Flames want to continue to be a joke and pick a guy who they could have gotten in the 2nd round with the 21st overall and let the Pens get Maata. Unreal!

That being said the Flyers have been successful with their 1st round picks so I'm TRYING not to get pissed off and pass judgement. The Jack Daniels isn't helping this whole anger thing after that giant question mark.

Sadly he isn't even 28th overall... that's just 28th among North American prospects.. where Maata was #8. And Laughton is rated No. 42 by the Hockey News. The International Scouting Service listed him at No. 50. I just don't get why they would dip so far down. Even the kid was surprised he went so high.

@Polaris922 I'll go on the record as saying I'm surprised, but I trust Homer's drafting, if he says he's the real deal....he is. As for the Pens, they just totall rebuilt their defense in a few years. Ollie Matta does so many little things right....very smooth, graceful even. The kind of guy who does nothing spectacular, but everything is efficient. Very cerebeal d-man with a ton of poise. You don't notice him in his own end because he is so reliable. Last time I saw him he saved his defensive partner (the hulking Jarrod Tinordi, Montreal first rounder) more times than I could count. Combined with Pouliot, the Pens had a really, really strong day. Perfect blend offense in Pouliot and smooth execution in Matta. The fact we let Matta slip to a division rival is sickening.....but I still trust Homer.

I'm thinking the asking price for an established D-man from other teams is Schenn not JVR as the centerpiece. This may explain why they drafted a center. With the loss of Pronger this team needs an established veteran. Most defenseman prospects don't make an immediate impact in the NHL. Guys like an Erik Karlsson who were able to make the immediate jump are the exception not the rule. Many take a few years to pan out. With the Flyers depth at Center they can afford to wait a couple years for Laughton to pan out.

Unless he is a michael pecca type guy. But I don't know anything about him either and like someone else said, am not sure that he was the BPA at that point. Despite the heavy deluge of Dmen taken early, there are MANY in the top 60 that could have been taken (considering the Flyers do not have a second rounder).

So he is Talbots heir apparrent in 3 years??

Actually he kind of reminds me of a former Flyer, Mike Richards. He plays a similar style game but I don't think he will ever be a 30 goal scorer in the NHL. But style wise, definitely Richards. He is a very intelligent player much like Couterier who knows the game and anticipates the play. He definitely plays physical and will hit and drop the mitts (not that impressive but willing) and will be a good faceoff guy and defender. From other reports I read he has 2nd/3rd line potential.

I was originally not happy with the pick as Olli was there for the taking but this is the type of guy who never takes a shift off and does whatever it takes to win. Plus it's hard to argue with Homer's first round draft history and people complained when the Flyers drafted a little center from the Q, Claude Giroux and he turned out OK.

• Like 1