Bobby Ryan - "be a very ideal and comfortable place for me."

Guest OH1FlyersFan

@Navyhockey

too beaucoup for boom boom wit soul brova...

4 guys for Ryan... he's not sydney crosby.

he's already told the ducks he's sick of them not committing to him, i would offer a player and a pick, or two players the ducks aren't in a position of strength either.

i don't think suter wants to come to philadelphia so while that sounds nice, i don't think we can offer enough quid to change his mind

@everybody

do we really need bobby ryan on this team ?

what is a reasonable offer for him ?

• Like 1

Coburn and a first sounds about right but I'm not sure I like what that does for the Flyers. Right now, our top 6 is Timonen, Carle (assuming he's resigned), Coburn, Grossman, Mezsros and Schenn. Not much offense back there but very solid. Take away Coburn and you lose a lot of mobility and the team's best shut down defender. Not keen on facing the Pens without him. I'd sooner ship Mezsaros to Anaheim.

Personally, I think the Leafs will push hard for Ryan. FIrst he's American...so you know Burke will be in like a dirty shirt. Even with JVR in the stable, Burke will be delirous thinking about Ryan in the Blue and White. Don't know what they would offer, but Kadri and or Blacker with next years first rounder would be a real nice starting point. Blacker is consdired a very respectable prospect by most GM's, but you don't hear much about him. His way is effeictively blocked (even with Schenn out of town) by two or three guys on the Leafs depth chart. Next years first would secure Ryan's services with the right package around it. It would make next year an "all in" move for Burke...something that is needed to save his job. If the Leafs miss again, Burke can't fire the coach...he gets the axe.

Of course, this becomes a much more reasonable option if the Leafs have secret plans to turn JVR into a center. the con...it takes them out of the Luongo sweepstakes, damning them to a season of James Riemer.

Edited by jammer2

@Navyhockey

too beaucoup for boom boom wit soul brova...

4 guys for Ryan... he's not sydney crosby.

he's already told the ducks he's sick of them not committing to him, i would offer a player and a pick, or two players the ducks aren't in a position of strength either.

i don't think suter wants to come to philadelphia so while that sounds nice, i don't think we can offer enough quid to change his mind

@everybody

what is a reasonable offer for him ?

I think a lot of us are trying to overvalue what we have to offer for a guy like Ryan. Remember all the JVR, Bob and whatever for (Insert Star Player)? Look what we got for those guys. Bourdon is a marginal prospect...at best. Harry Z? Meh. Our 1st round pick is sure to be a later one. Read? Sure he had a nice year but he was an undrafted free agent with not much pedigree to show that last year "could" be nothing more than a career year. I wouldn't be shocked if he at least duplicated last year's numbers. Then again, I wouldn't be shocked if we saw a big drop either.

I guess my point is some combination of those players and our 1st - heck, all of those players and our 1st - can surely be beat by someone else.

Plus, I don't think Anaheim is dealing from weakness - at least not with the Flyers. They know how much we'd love to have him and can hold that over us. Sounds like we'd be his first choice but he's so fed up with the Ducks he go just about anywhere and be happy about.

None of us want to think it but if we want to land Ryan, the conversation starts with Courts and/or Schenn. And go from there. Personally, we need D before we needed Ryan so I don't part with what it would ACTUALLY take to get him.

i've always heard a very mixed bag about him. i don't have a lot other than message board whining to base it on, though. has anyone really watched enough of him to know what that's all about?

None of us want to think it but if we want to land Ryan, the conversation starts with Courts and/or Schenn. And go from there. Personally, we need D before we needed Ryan so I don't part with what it would ACTUALLY take to get him.

and there's the answer i'm looking for, no way do i trade either of those guys for Bobby Ryan.

nope.

that said with JvR now in Toronto, we will need to resign Jagr ? or fill that top line wing or 2nd line wing with a good NHL player and not Mike Testweiude

and there's the answer i'm looking for, no way do i trade either of those guys for Bobby Ryan.

nope.

that said with JvR now in Toronto, we will need to resign Jagr ? or fill that top line wing or 2nd line wing with a good NHL player and not Mike Testweiude

Reading the last few days it seemed like B. Schenn/Courts were the 800 lbs. gorilla in the forum when it came to discussing a Bobby Ryan trade.

To answer your question - kinda - we need to "re-sign" Jagr's replacement.

Any thoughts on PA Parenteau? He's a UFA. His numbers were comparable to Jagr's last year and he's 10 years younger which means his legs won't be cement by the time the playoffs roll around.

He made $1,250,000 last year. I doubt it would take $3,000,000 to get him.

None of us want to think it but if we want to land Ryan, the conversation starts with Courts and/or Schenn. And go from there. Personally, we need D before we needed Ryan so I don't part with what it would ACTUALLY take to get him

And there's the rub. I don't think we need Bobby Ryan, but OTOH I do think he'd be a beast on a line w/Giroux and Hartnell. So, yeah, it'd be great, but no, it's not essential compared to one more really solid defenseman to replace the Finnish God of Defense. So if the cost is too high, so be it. Don't do it. The Flyers will still score goals. Couturier and B. Schenn should, to my mind, not be part of that deal. But you know Homer will think about it, if that was the asking price.

@KjellShocked

Parenteau had a whale of a contract year...so his price might be inflated.

though some of that could be Moulson , Okposo and Tavares helping that team turn the corner too. I think he'd be serviceable and the price could be right.

I'm kind of hoping for minimal roster changes until next year, weber can be had for money next year and signing a guy for 2.1 for 3/4 years makes that a more realistic possibility.

I liked how Giroux and Voras played on the PP in the playoffs, he might be ready to step into the Jagr role and Parenteau could slot in on the 2 nd

@KjellShocked I like P.A Parenteau. He's 29, plays a pass first, creative kinda game. Not overly physical, but is fairly smart. He played on NYI's top line with Matt Moulson and John Tavares. Would need to be a top line to come close to re-creating last years totals of 18 goals and 67 points. Problem is, his agent will get stupid and claim he is on the cusp of 70 pt production. I can see him asking for a 6 year deal with 6 mill a year....5 mill minimum anyways. Yep, I'm saying a 6 year deal for 36 mill....that's how stupid NHL UFA period will be this year.

And there's the rub. I don't think we need Bobby Ryan, but OTOH I do think he'd be a beast on a line w/Giroux and Hartnell. So, yeah, it'd be great, but no, it's not essential compared to one more really solid defenseman to replace the Finnish God of Defense. So if the cost is too high, so be it. Don't do it. The Flyers will still score goals. Couturier and B. Schenn should, to my mind, not be part of that deal. But you know Homer will think about it, if that was the asking price.

Oh it's definitely nice to dream about and I by no means want to keep anyone from dreaming. But Ryan for a late 1st, Harry Z and Read is a dream of the wet kind.

• Like 1

@KjellShocked

Parenteau had a whale of a contract year...so his price might be inflated.

though some of that could be Moulson , Okposo and Tavares helping that team turn the corner too. I think he'd be serviceable and the price could be right.

I'm kind of hoping for minimal roster changes until next year, weber can be had for money next year and signing a guy for 2.1 for 3/4 years makes that a more realistic possibility.

I liked how Giroux and Voras played on the PP in the playoffs, he might be ready to step into the Jagr role and Parenteau could slot in on the 2 nd

@mojo1917

@jammer2

Funny - as soon as I posted that I thought "actually he would probably cost more." I don't think he's worth $6 million/6 years. But you are right - someone may be stupid enough to give him that. The pitch to him would be a chance to win a Cup, play with Giroux, play in front of big crowds, etc etc.

I think he'd be a good fit if the price is right.

Finnish God of Defense - LMAO at that one.

Edited by KjellShocked

I just do not understand. If Ryan will cost us a 1rst rder,and guys like Jake, Schenn(either one) Coburn, Mesz it makes no sense. Why even consider it. We finally have a good young squad here why break it apart and half to fill in even more holes then we had before just to get one player? Also the reason why Ryan wants to leave is because of constant trade rumors, lets not do that anymore to our guys. We traded off JVR for defense and a right handed shot we so badly needed, lets leave it at that shall we?

Edit: I knwo you guys are just making discussion if there was a trade and are not saying you would do it but I just get paranoid, we finally have a great core and I just do not want to see it taken apart for one player who would come to Philly only to get the injury bug and be out 80% of the season....every season.

Edited by Philly29

Does it have to cost us both Schenn and Couturier? If it does, then I say no thanks. If it's Couts, I say no thanks. If Schenn, then I think we can make a deal. I like Schenn, I like his potential. I like him on the Flyers, but I think letting him go for Ryan probably leaves us in a better position. But I agree with what others have posted - I like our young core and would love to watch it develop over the next 2-3 seasons. If we take our current group into the next season, I won't be terribly disappointed. But, at the same time, I think we should do something to replace Jagr (assuming he doesn't resign) and JVR. You could argue that's the immediate need. On the other hand, you could fill that hole with someone we already have in the system. That would probably work out ok, but that's a longer term solution.

I dunno, the more I think about it, the more I think the asking price is to rich for our blood.B Schenn might indeed be a more impactful player than Ryan someday....not for sure by any means, but it *is* possible. Then to think 1st rounder AND one of our top 4 d-men....*that* is just crazy...for 30+ goals. To much to pay. Damn, maybe even Read scores as many as Ryan would next year...prob not but just pointing out the answer can be on our current roster. This addition would be paying to much for an area that is already one of the best in the league...goal scoring. Another kind of luxury addition IMHO. Unless they come down considerably...I'm out.

. I'm thinking more and more both the Schenn's are untouchables....at least till we can evaluate them and see what their full potential is. You don't go out and get a guys brother and then deal him....I just don't see it happening.

Then to think 1st rounder AND one of our top 4 d-men....*that* is just crazy...for 30+ goals.

I'm with you in that I'd be very reluctant to trade any of our defensemen for Bobby Ryan. He's a terrific player but I don't want to poke a hole in our canoe to get him.

@terp It's crazy franchise changing stuff that the Ducks and Blue Jackets will be asking for. Really....Ryan is worth B.Schenn, Coburn and a 1st?!?!? Applying this market value then Giroux would be worth Getzlaf AND Perry...I'd do that deal...LOL!

. I'm thinking more and more both the Schenn's are untouchables....at least till we can evaluate them and see what their full potential is. You don't go out and get a guys brother and then deal him....I just don't see it happening.

Jussi Timonen says "hei" :-)

I'd flip Luke Schenn in a heartbeat but I concur with you that they won't.

@terp It's crazy franchise changing stuff that the Ducks and Blue Jackets will be asking for. Really....Ryan is worth B.Schenn, Coburn and a 1st?!?!? Applying this market value then Giroux would be worth Getzlaf AND Perry...I'd do that deal...LOL!

"Value" is a difficult thing to evaluate as different players have different vaules to different teams and even different values to different people in those organizations.

From last season alone, I give you: Ilya Bryzgalov and Ville Leino.

I think the question isn't "what is Ryan *worth* in a trade?" but, rather, "what would it take to get Anaheim to deal Ryan?".

And, if you're Columbus, you're DESPERATE for a "franchise changing" move.

@ That's why the Flyers choice for back up is SOOOOO important, *if* and *when* (ya, ya, I know...lol) he falters, that back up will be expected to start multiple games in a row while Bryz "collects" himself.

HockeyCentral was just saying they think Ryan to Philly is almost a sure thing. And Coburn AND Voracek may be the players going back the other way. How does this make us better? It doesn't.

It depends on whether or not they can sign a d-man on July 1 to replace Coburn, but I like Coby. Affordable top 4 d-man. Replacing him with a legitimate top 4 will likely cost just as much.

There's got to be another part to the plan because we would have weakened our weakness. Coburn > Schenn right now.

Ryan/G/Hartnell

Read/B. Schenn/Simmonds

Coots/Briere/Wellwood

Z/Talbot/Rinaldo

I dunno, that looks weaker than last year.

Then on the backend:

Timonen/Carle

Grossman/Meszaros

Bourdon/L. Schenn

Lilja

Gus

Again, weaker than last year.