Defensemen

Guest Bertmega

Defensemen  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which defensemen would you like to see in the O&B come October>

• Matt Carle at $5.25 million
    • Ryan Sutter at $7.00 million
    • Neither and let the chips fall where they are

I would be OK with doing exactly that. Let everyone else spend all their money this offseason - and then go after Weber & Getzlaf next offseason.

Weber AND Getzlaf??? Weber I'm all for. And I love Getzlafs game...but aren't we loaded at center? Overloaded?

It'll be another time of insanity if both these guys come up as UFAs. We need a guy like Weber. But Getzlaf is a luxury on a team with Giroux, Briere, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot and Laughton in the wings. I get we could use his size and grit. But at what cost? We're paying Giroux 3.5 a year because he's homegrown. How much do you think we'd be paying him if we won the bidding war as a UFA?

• Like 1

Or use the cap space cleared up by Suter's departure to lock in Weber. I think the Pens are looking at Parise reasonably. Simply trying to find a scoring winger who works the corners to be on Crosby's wing. I'm sure Detroit sees him that way too.

If Suter leaves, I see Weber doing the same.

If the Pens are involved in trying to acquire Parise, there's nothing "reasonable" about it. The guy is going to be overpaid and overtermed. That may not be a word, but it should be with the contracts that are coming out.

If the Pens are involved in trying to acquire Parise, there's nothing "reasonable" about it. The guy is going to be overpaid and overtermed. That may not be a word, but it should be with the contracts that are coming out.

I meant that he COULD be the ideal wing for Crosby the way he plays the game. Believe me I agree with you that the contracts being signed these days are hardly reasonable. Lol.

The following ex-Flyer D-men are all UFA:

Alexandre Picard

Randy Jones - Behold!

Mark Eaton

Steve Eminger - Doh!

Nolan Baumgartner - Doh!

Ryan Parent - Doh!

I'm sure I missed several

Also available:

Jeff Finger - LMAO!

Milan Jurcina - @jammer2 is a big fan I'm told

Jaroslav Spacek - he has a cannon

Sean O'Donnell - why not?

Brad Lukowich

Cam Barker

Michal Rozsival

Carlo Colaiacovo - already a thread on him

Brett Clark

Can't see too many upgrades there. Assume Homer will sign someone not on either of these lists, lol

Edited by Podein25

I wish they try a trade for a not too overly expensive defenseman (trade value-wise) and go hard for Weber next year, when Timo is off the salary books. I would rather cool off till next year´s outstanding UFA class rather than overpay on this year´s class and overpay in a trade for Ryan or Nash.

• Like 1

Weber AND Getzlaf??? Weber I'm all for. And I love Getzlafs game...but aren't we loaded at center? Overloaded?

It'll be another time of insanity if both these guys come up as UFAs. We need a guy like Weber. But Getzlaf is a luxury on a team with Giroux, Briere, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot and Laughton in the wings. I get we could use his size and grit. But at what cost? We're paying Giroux 3.5 a year because he's homegrown. How much do you think we'd be paying him if we won the bidding war as a UFA?

How many years does Briere have left on his deal?

And can't someone move to wing?

I'll take Suter and then go get Weber when Kimmo comes off the books. We could steal Nashville's D pairing....

That my friend will never happen. Sutter is going to Wild or Wings. I doubt Pred's part with Weber although it's a nice thought. I would prefer Weber over Sutter but it will cost the Flyers in young forwards. Probably too much. I think the name of the game with defencemen has to be develop from within from here out. No other way I was kind of hoping that Flyers would tty to get Garrison or Jackman, still hope they drop Lilja, and give Gustafson and MAB more development time with the big club 2012/13. I'm pretty high on this kid Manning who played 4 games/+1 this past season on the blueline when we had all of the D injuries. I bet Lavy brings him up a number of times this year. Especially of Bryz starts off well and plays like $51M should buy us. Would like to see more from him Manning. This young Danish kid Lauridsen looks like he could be a monster of a stay-at-home defenceman in 2-3 years. I'll get a better look at hime hopefully at prospect camp. Holmgren will find a way to sign Carle but don't be surprised if it is a bit north of the $5.5M, and this forum with light up like a Christas tree incensed as usual. It's a seller's market this year boys....

Everyone keeps writing "go after Weber next year" type of stuff. There must be something I am totally missing here. He currently is a RFA. Poile is a very astute GM. There is no way in hell he signs Weber for only 1 year and allow him to be on the market next summer. He could do the tradeline thing, but that would handcuff him to the number of teams that he could negotiate with. If he can't get a 4-5 year / long term deal out of him, if I am Poile, I move his rights as a RFA to another team and backup the truck at Nashvilles doorsteps with a ton of assets.

Yea, I thought I was missing something too but you hit the nail on the head. Poile is willy coyote. This is not a fire sale in Nashville. This is a very good playoff team that is trying to be a contender. You are right about backing up the truck. This is a classic trojan horse. Some desperate GM will bite though. Just hope it is not ours.

I think the Flyers are going to do it via trade this year.

Try this on for size:

To Flyers from Preds:

Weber

A Kostitsyn

Jack Hillen

David Legwand

To Preds from Flyers:

Carle

Briere

Hartnell

MAB

A Pick

Not saying I agree, but fire away...

Try this on for size:

To Flyers from Preds:

Weber

A Kostitsyn

Jack Hillen

David Legwand

To Preds from Flyers:

Carle

Briere

Hartnell

MAB

A Pick

Briere and Hartnell both have NMC and Carle is UFA.....Just curious, are you channeling Gummy because that is the kind of Eklund posturing he was so fond of spitballing....

Briere can't play wing, the Flyers have tried. His deal expires summer 2015. Buyout candidate in my opinion next summer.

Briere and Hartnell both have NMC and Carle is UFA.....Just curious, are you channeling Gummy because that is the kind of Eklund posturing he was so fond of spitballing....

I just thought I would have a little fun with it and see what kind of abuse it would generate. Who's Gummy? Doesn't Ekland work in the Flyers Merketing Department? Happy 4th! Glad Sutter and Parise went to Wild. After Ville Leno, this could go down as the most il fated overspending by a GM to date. Time will tell.

@BearOnIce Not many people remember, but Praise put up a 94 pts season with the Devils just 3 years ago. In the right system, with the right players, he will light it up. Not sure Minnesota has that right system, and pretty shallow surround talent (for the time being, some wicked youngsters on the way including Granlund)....we shall see, but the guy did come 6 pts from triple digits not so long ago.

I just thought I would have a little fun with it and see what kind of abuse it would generate. Who's Gummy? Doesn't Ekland work in the Flyers Merketing Department? Happy 4th! Glad Sutter and Parise went to Wild. After Ville Leno, this could go down as the most il fated overspending by a GM to date. Time will tell.

Who's Gummy?He uses Coffeehouseschmuck on this board. One of his favorite past times is keeping us up to date on his bowel movements........I figured it was a good analogy to the "proposed" trade. All in good fun.

@BearOnIce Not many people remember, but Praise put up a 94 pts season with the Devils just 3 years ago. In the right system, with the right players, he will light it up. Not sure Minnesota has that right system, and pretty shallow surround talent (for the time being, some wicked youngsters on the way including Granlund)....we shall see, but the guy did come 6 pts from triple digits not so long ago.

I would be curious to see how he plays with Danny Heatley who has always been all about himself. That would be interesting to see.

Coffeehouseschmuck...favorite past times is keeping us up to date on his bowel movements..

Haven't heard or seen much from the Gumster lately. Which is bad news I guess on the bowel front. Ouch

Briere has 3 years remaining.

Giroux isn't moving to the wing. Couturier should be groomed as our #2 center. Schenn could play wing, but are we going to pay Getzlaf big bucks to be our #3 center or waste Couturier?

I'm ok with Parise. But they way overpaid. They are wrong if they think he is going to be their centerpiece. The Wild, for a team that was at the top of the NHL until December, then finished last in points, has some serious issues. It is going to take more that Parise and Sutter. Opps, I forgot, they have Darrell Powe. Interestingly, for a grinder they gave this -20 guy almost 14 minutes of ice time over 82 games. That says it all. Seriously, unless Sutter is going to play 55 minutes a night, they'd better get him some defensive help. They only have one defenceman, Tom Gilbert, that is any good, makes about $4M, from Edmonton, big and puck moving but not physical and his point production has been declining last 2 seasons. Spuergeon, Kampfer, Prosser, Stoner, Scandella, Falk, and Lundin all make $1M or less. That's it.

Try this on for size:

To Flyers from Preds:

Weber

A Kostitsyn

Jack Hillen

David Legwand

To Preds from Flyers:

Carle

Briere

Hartnell

MAB

A Pick

All I have to say is...LOL. Weber is a franchise defenceman in his prime. This isn't Pronger at the end of his career with yet another team sick of his bs...this is THE best defenceman on the planet. Carle isn't even ours. Briere will be 35 when the season starts. Hartnell is great one year, horrible the next. Bourdon is a good, not great prospect. That pick better be the 1st overall..

@flyercanuck I don't think there is a chance in holy hell that the Ducks let Getzlaf or Perry walk away for free. Talk about fan base suciide....they would season ticket packages reduce by 50% by letting Getz and Perry go UFA. Neither one has a NMC or NTC. If they are not Ducks, the Ducks will benefit, somehow, someway.

Who's Gummy?He uses Coffeehouseschmuck on this board. One of his favorite past times is keeping us up to date on his bowel movements........I figured it was a good analogy to the "proposed" trade. All in good fun.

Classic.

I would be curious to see how he plays with Danny Heatley who has always been all about himself. That would be interesting to see.

My thought too.

Heatley has been injured a lot but has played through missing only 2-3 games over the last 3+ years or so. But, the last time I watched him he looked painfully slow. Like something is really wrong with him. A 31 year old hockey guy should not look that bad. Especially one that was elite at one point. Also, $7.5M for 53 points (worst ever) last year? Nope. But, maybe Parise will rejuvinate him.

How about this - Flyers sign and then give the Wild our Matt Carle, get Danny and Scott to waive NMC's to go to Wild (nice salary dump), and get back Sutter, Cutterback (physical/30+ goals), and 22 year old Marco Scandella (puck moving D/big upside), say even trade straight up Bryz for Backstrom, throw in a great defensive prospect like Jonas Brodin, give them MAB or Gus. ,

, -)

Done in a heartbeat!