Drama Queen Players

Guest BobDailey

4 days and stringing the teams along

Going home to hide out

Giving an interview that ends up on the rumor site

Why talk to anybody except the GMS and your agent and your family/fiancee/dog/ or garbage man? This whole process is revolting, manipulated, more like some Diva than a hockey player

Boy, what the hockey world wouldnt pay to wire tap these guys over the last few months and potentially find out the collusion and how staged this is.

I hate to cast stones at fellow Americans, but do you think someone from Smith Falls Ontario or Wilcox Saskatchewan ( who went to Notre Dame there and came up through that hockey program) would be pulling this frelling nonsense? ( Reference to Farscape 4 letter word there)

Hope they both have lousy overpaid cap strangling remainder of their careers on a Western Conference team that never makes the finals

• Like 1

I agree; it's getting disgusting. As much as I would like to add them both, I have lost all the respect I had for them. While I can undertsand they want to make sure they make the right decision, this attention-whore behavior is not becoming of a professional athlete. And really, how much time do they really need? 48 hours not enough? Please........ I'll say the FLyer re-sign Carle, go out and get Doan, and we are good to go. It's not ideal, but this is ridiculous. The way these 2 players are basically asking the teams to bend over for them is sickening.

@BobDailey

It is undeniably true that all the big name UFAs are Yanks: Suter, Parise, Carle. What the hell is Burke waiting for?

EDIT: Happy Independence Day to all the American Flyer fans here

Edited by Podein25
  • Like 1

4 days and stringing the teams along

Going home to hide out

Giving an interview that ends up on the rumor site

Why talk to anybody except the GMS and your agent and your family/fiancee/dog/ or garbage man? This whole process is revolting, manipulated, more like some Diva than a hockey player

Boy, what the hockey world wouldnt pay to wire tap these guys over the last few months and potentially find out the collusion and how staged this is.

I hate to cast stones at fellow Americans, but do you think someone from Smith Falls Ontario or Wilcox Saskatchewan ( who went to Notre Dame there and came up through that hockey program) would be pulling this frelling nonsense? ( Reference to Farscape 4 letter word there)

Hope they both have lousy overpaid cap strangling remainder of their careers on a Western Conference team that never makes the finals

Ignorance is bliss I guess. Sorry but "drama queens" is a bit much. If anything the only "drama queens" are the media who feed the rumor mill and the fans of teams who think these guys owe us an answer on our time. I'm following Parise more than Suter (live in north NJ so have seen him a lot more). He's 27. It's his first (and likely last) big career decision. He's engaged. He's going to have a family. God forbid the guy take a few days to decide not only what team is the best fit but where his kids will grow up and go to school. He's already said publicly that money will have very little impact on his decision. The guy held an impromptu press conference on Monday to let the media know he needed more time to decide then the guy gets ambushed in the airport yesterday by the Wild beat writer (Russo) on his flight home. I guess that's his fault for flying coach. He talks and you cricize him. If he blew off the reporter my guess is you'd criticize him.

Frankly, I'd take 1,000 Zach Parises on my team and not think twice and I wouldn't care how long it takes him to decide.

• Like 2

I agree; it's getting disgusting. As much as I would like to add them both, I have lost all the respect I had for them. While I can undertsand they want to make sure they make the right decision, this attention-whore behavior is not becoming of a professional athlete. And really, how much time do they really need? 48 hours not enough? Please........ I'll say the FLyer re-sign Carle, go out and get Doan, and we are good to go. It's not ideal, but this is ridiculous. The way these 2 players are basically asking the teams to bend over for them is sickening.

So exactly what have they done to warrant being called attention whores? And how are teams being asked to "bend over" for them? Because they need a few days to decide?

Yeah and if his choices are indeed NJ, Minnesota and Philly, he's picking between loyalty to NJ, home in Minny and money (and maybe not having to move) with Philly. There is no structured timetable that they have follow for making a decision. I say give him his time and space.

Yeah and if his choices are indeed NJ, Minnesota and Philly, he's picking between loyalty to NJ, home in Minny and money (and maybe not having to move) with Philly. There is no structured timetable that they have follow for making a decision. I say give him his time and space.

Add Pittsburgh to that list. From everything I've read it's NJ, Minny, Pittsburgh and Philly. So each team has 25% chance (giv'n take) to land him. Each option is attractive to him in its own way, I am sure....... which is probably why it's not an easy decision and whyhe is taking all the time in the world. And you mentioned some solid rational (moving vs. not having to move) in his decision making process.

But I will say this. If it's something more than just money for him and winning the Cup is his #1 priority, he *should* eliminate NJ and Minny. The Wild is a very weak team. And they have done next to nothing to change that this off-season. On paper they have several decent players (Backstrom, Heatley, Mikko Koivu) but overall, as a team, they are just not good. The question for Parise must be....... if he goes there, will their chances improve? Maybe...... but only marginally. And Heatley is a primadonna, me-me-me type of player who not many players enjoy playing with. So why would Parise be any different? Even with him, that team is miles away from even *getting* into the playoffs. Plus, like you said, there is an element of moving. SO I would think Minny ranks the lowest on his list.

NJ. I think the last year's success was an abbaration. They resigned Brodeur and Salvador. Good for them. How much more can they squeeze out of Brodeur is the main question. Frankly, I think the guy should just retire. And don't count on Kovalchuk to have yet another display of selflessness and desire to play defense consistently. Henrique will get better, but that won't be enough in my opinion for the Devils to make a strong push for the Cup. Add teh lack of financial stability to teh equation and I just don't see why he would choose NJ.

So that really makes Pittsburgh and us as probably the strongest two contenders to land his services. I keep hearing he has some ties with Crosby and I am not sure he is that close to anybody on the Flyers. Frankly, I really can't think of any good reason that would make him choose the Flyers over Pittsburgh, amybe otehr than Philadelhia being much colser to his current home. But he would still have to move anyway. Both the Flyers and Pens have almost equal chances to do at least no worse than how they did last year, assuming the Flyers add one more d-man, even if it's Carle. In my mind, I give the Pens an edge in their chances of getting him.

So flip a coin there between Pittsburgh and Philly. At least this is the way I would be thinking if I am Parise.

Edited by Mad Dog

Add Pittsburgh to that list. From everything I've read it's NJ, Minny, Pittsburgh and Philly. So each team has 25% chance (giv'n take) to land him. Each option is attractive to him in its own way, I am sure....... which is probably why it's not an easy decision and whyhe is taking all the time in the world. And you mentioned some solid rational (moving vs. not having to move) in his decision making process.

But I will say this. If it's something more than just money for him and winning the Cup is his #1 priority, he *should* eliminate NJ and Minny. The Wild is a very weak team. And they have done next to nothing to change that this off-season. On paper they have several decent players (Backstrom, Heatley, Mikko Koivu) but overall, as a team, they are just not good. The question for Parise must be....... if he goes there, will their chances improve? Maybe...... but only marginally. And Heatley is a primadonna, me-me-me type of player who not many players enjoy playing with. So why would Parise be any different? Even with him, that team is miles away from even *getting* into the playoffs. Plus, like you said, there is an element of moving. SO I would think Minny ranks the lowest on his list.

NJ. I think the last year's success was an abbaration. They resigned Brodeur and Salvador. Good for them. How much more can they squeeze out of Brodeur is the main question. Frankly, I think the guy should just retire. And don't count on Kovalchuk to have yet another display of selflessness and desire to play defense consistently. Henrique will get better, but that won't be enough in my opinion for the Devils to make a strong push for the Cup. Add teh lack of financial stability to teh equation and I just don't see why he would choose NJ.

So that really makes Pittsburgh and us as probably the strongest two contenders to land his services. I keep hearing he has some ties with Crosby and I am not sure he is that close to anybody on the Flyers. Frankly, I really can't think of any good reason that would make him choose the Flyers over Pittsburgh, amybe otehr than Philadelhia being much colser to his current home. But he would still have to move anyway. Both the Flyers and Pens have almost equal chances to do at least no worse than how they did last year, assuming the Flyers add one more d-man, even if it's Carle. In my mind, I give the Pens an edge in their chances of getting him.

So flip a coin there between Pittsburgh and Philly. At least this is the way I would be thinking if I am Parise.

They had a story before the draft on comparing the 1979 draft and 2003 draft, take a look at the picks in the first round of the 2003 draft and think if the Flyers had picked who was at number 17 instead of who they picked at number eleven.

1: PIT - Marc-Andre Fleury

2: CAR - Eric Staal

3: FLA - Nathan Horton

4: CBJ - Nikolai Zherdev

5: BUF - Thomas Vanek

6: SJ - Milan Michalek

7: NSH - Ryan Suter

8: ATL - Braydon Coburn

9: CGY - Dion Phaneuf

10: MTL - Andrei Kostitsyn

11: PHI - Jeff Carter

12: NYR - Hugh Jessiman

13: LA - Dustin Brown

14: CHI - Brent Seabrook

15: NYI - Robert Nilsson

16: SJ - Steve Bernier

17: NJ - Zach Parise

18: WSH - Eric Fehr

19: ANA - Ryan Getzlaf

20: MIN - Brent Burns

21: BOS - Mark Stuart

22: EDM - M.A. Pouliot

23: VAN - Ryan Kesler

24: PHI - Mike Richards

25: FLA - Anthony Stewart

26: LA - Brian Boyle

27: LA - Jeff Tambellini

28: ANA - Corey Perry

29: OTT - Patrick Eaves

30: STL - Shawn Belle

Parise and Suter will do well in Minnesota but I think the Wild are from being stanley cup contenders. Well now we'll get to see the after effects of those two signing on the teams who didn't get them. Hopefully Holmgren doesn't do something stupid!

@BobDailey Personally, I think Minnesota will become relevant again. Not just because of the talent influx with Praise and Suter. Not a lot of fans know much about Mikael Grandlund because he's from the other side of the pond, but this guy is the real deal....a legit, can't miss #1 center. Add in super talented forward prospects Johan Larsson, Brett Bulmer, Zack Phillips and Jason Tucker. All these kids are legit and will make tremendous impacts. All rated in the top 75 of the Hockey News Future Watch top 100. Watch out, the Wild just became relevant....some wicked young players coming to an already solid corps. Granlund was rated #2 out of 100 btw.

Hopefully the Wild get Cap strung after these signings.

I really dont give a hoot about any other teams success except the Canes & the Flyers when they are not making stupid deals ( that limits my time for certain) Any team that cant pay their own way shouldnt exist , at least the Wild have something to insure financial viability for a while.

If anyone didnt think this was their plan all along I have Phillies 2012 World Series tickets for sale..........

Adios from the Eastern Conference, welcome to world of fatiguing travel Zach

Yeah, but Carter was NOT a bad pick then and certainly not now given hindsight. That's the way the draft goes. You just never know. Parise hasn't exactly been the model of health and consistency either.

Edited by Clarke2Leach

Yeah, but Carter was NOT a bad pick then and certainly not now given hindsight. That's the way the draft goes. You just never know. Parise hasn't exactly been the model of health and consistency either.

True, but Seabrook, Getzlaf or Parise would have looked good in a Philly uniform. But you never know what you're going to get when drafting players.

Edited by Lindbergh31

@Lindbergh31 LOL@ NYR, Hugh Jessiman at #12. You would think that pick alone would have discouraged the Dylan McGrath pick. They keep taking 3rd round projects and drafting them in the 1st using only size and toughness as criteria. I don't think Dylan is a bust .....yet. We shall see next year I guess.

@Lindbergh31 LOL@ NYR, Hugh Jessiman at #12. You would think that pick alone would have discouraged the Dylan McGrath pick. They keep taking 3rd round projects and drafting them in the 1st using only size and toughness as criteria. I don't think Dylan is a bust .....yet. We shall see next year I guess.

Some fans here still hold that criteria philosophy exclusively too.

They had a story before the draft on comparing the 1979 draft and 2003 draft, take a look at the picks in the first round of the 2003 draft and think if the Flyers had picked who was at number 17 instead of who they picked at number eleven.

1: PIT - Marc-Andre Fleury

2: CAR - Eric Staal

3: FLA - Nathan Horton

4: CBJ - Nikolai Zherdev

5: BUF - Thomas Vanek

6: SJ - Milan Michalek

7: NSH - Ryan Suter

8: ATL - Braydon Coburn

9: CGY - Dion Phaneuf

10: MTL - Andrei Kostitsyn

11: PHI - Jeff Carter

23: VAN - Ryan Kesler

24: PHI - Mike Richards

25: FLA - Anthony Stewart

26: LA - Brian Boyle

27: LA - Jeff Tambellini

28: ANA - Corey Perry

29: OTT - Patrick Eaves

30: STL - Shawn Belle

Parise and Suter will do well in Minnesota but I think the Wild are from being stanley cup contenders. Well now we'll get to see the after effects of those two signing on the teams who didn't get them. Hopefully Holmgren doesn't do something stupid!

Or imagine if we took #12, or 15 or 16 or 18, 21, 22, 25, 26,27,29 or 30? Carter was a good pick. he scored more goals than any other player on the Flyers during his time here, which is what he was supposed to do. Then factor in that we now have 19 year old Sean Couturier and 23 year old Jakob Voracek (plus Nick Cousins) and I'd say we came out pretty good. Then again, if we didn't trade him and Richards, we wouldn't be stuck with the worlds most overpaid goalie and his humongous boat anchor contract.

• Like 1

Or imagine if we took #12, or 15 or 16 or 18, 21, 22, 25, 26,27,29 or 30? Carter was a good pick. he scored more goals than any other player on the Flyers during his time here, which is what he was supposed to do. Then factor in that we now have 19 year old Sean Couturier and 23 year old Jakob Voracek (plus Nick Cousins) and I'd say we came out pretty good. Then again, if we didn't trade him and Richards, we wouldn't be stuck with the worlds most overpaid goalie and his humongous boat anchor contract.

lol, true that boat anchor contract isn't going anywhere and unless Bryzgalov reinvents himself into Bernie Parent this upcoming season it will continue to be a painful thing to watch for Flyers fans. It would be interesting to see what the experts would have done if they were able to re pick the first round.

@BobDailey

While I don't think it is the extreme you portray, it certainly does reek. The thing that agitates me the most is two-fold:

1) They both took their sweet old time in deciding- knowing they were leaving teams fates in the balance.

2) They both signed the same place.

I don't really care about #2 that much. I mean remember Selanne and Kariya going to Colorado. At least both those guys did it day one of UFA period and for 1m each and openly said they were doing it to win a cup- which of course never panned out. But I respected the way they did it. There was no cloak and daggers about it. The way Parise and Suter did this is very shameful. I am just glad they are in the Western Conference so we don't have to pound them too much.