FLYERS SIGN WEBER TO MASSIVE OFFER SHEET

Guest jkearse123

@OccamsRazor I don't blame Poile one bit. The poor guy is a smart GM who has hardly any cash to work with to lock up his assets long term. Hopefully the NHL pulls out of there and goes to a real market. Signing Weber will not increase the revenue or attendance, it would merely keep it at the same levels...and the Owner in Nash has lost money 5 years in a row...so why spend the money? No smart businessman spends a 100 mill with no possible financial windfall at the end of it.

@OccamsRazor I don't blame Poile one bit. The poor guy is a smart GM who has hardly any cash to work with to lock up his assets long term. Hopefully the NHL pulls out of there and goes to a real market. Signing Weber will not increase the revenue or attendance, it would merely keep it at the same levels...and the Owner in Nash has lost money 5 years in a row...so why spend the money? No smart businessman spends a 100 mill with no possible financial windfall at the end of it.

Yeah in 2011 the franchise was valued at 163 million hard to justify giving one guy 140 million right?

So lets give them the last pick in the 1st round the next 2 years(*wink*) and then 2 more late 1st the following 2 years and call it even steven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't pay this for Letang and I'd rather have Letang than Weber, but that's my value system not everyone's obviously.

i know you're getting your share for typing this but i have to add... i just cannot resist... must poke fun ....

you and chris' mom and dad are probably the only three hockey fans who feel that way.

there it's out of my system.

weber's a pretty big deal, 100 + mph on his accurate right handed shot, are just a few things our team needs. i am very curious about how this will play out though, nothing that happens from this point forward will really be too surprising, unless somehow claude giroux winds up in nashville.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

He's not a Crosby, Parise, Toews, or Stamkos...... I wouldn't pay this for Letang and I'd rather have Letang than Weber.....

Sir, you are a valued poster here, and it is for that reason that, instead of recommending your immediate dismissal to Digity, I am suggesting he give you the option of entering 30 days of rehab for the obvious crack problem that caused you to make that statement. ;)

Ok but seriously, I'd rather have Weber than at least 4 of the 5 players you named there.....and the one possible exception certainty is NOT Letang

• Like 1

Really a "defensive defenseman" that scored 19 goals last year huh?

Lehtang barely scored half of that!

Well lets just say your definition and mine aren't the same!!!!!

Hell our offensive defenseman can't even score half that total...

Also @flyercanuck

Weber had 19... Ten were PP goals. Letang had ten goals in only 51 games, no less than ten of which he played hurt in. Like I said I love weber, but he's not your puck carrying defenseman. That was his partner, Suter. (Letang had Orpik stone hands lol).

My point is Weber is your ace defense first, punish you physically defenseman. If you do get him he will shine as a shut down guy. and yes, he'll have a canon on power plays. Just don't expect him to be a stellar carry the puck into the offensive zone guy. That was Suter's role.

THAT is why I value Letang. And Letang's speed getting back in the defensive zone. I'd love to see him and Weber together. What a pair that would be. But I'll be watching how this pans out for you guys with a lot of interest!

Well, I like this move by Homer. I'm not counting my chickens yet, though. Nashville has a week to offer and I'm sure they're sitting down going over every scenario to make this work for them.

I got home from work and pulled up the forum. The only thing I can say after reading 12 pages in this thread is theat you guys need to get jobs or actually work while you're at the job!!! :o:D

• Like 2

Also @flyercanuck

Weber had 19... Ten were PP goals. Letang had ten goals in only 51 games, no less than ten of which he played hurt in. Like I said I love weber, but he's not your puck carrying defenseman. That was his partner, Suter. (Letang had Orpik stone hands lol).

My point is Weber is your ace defense first, punish you physically defenseman. If you do get him he will shine as a shut down guy. and yes, he'll have a canon on power plays. Just don't expect him to be a stellar carry the puck into the offensive zone guy. That was Suter's role.

THAT is why I value Letang. And Letang's speed getting back in the defensive zone. I'd love to see him and Weber together. What a pair that would be. But I'll be watching how this pans out for you guys with a lot of interest!

Dude i don't care if he score them from the press box you can try to devalue them all you want but like i said Lehtang's best season he only score 10 twice and Weber has score 23 in a season...hell this past season for as you would call a "defensive defenseman" he scored 19 goals...

...thats was tied for 3rd on his whole gawd damn team by a defenseman no less...AMAZING!!!!!!

That is more than almost ALL of our defensive corp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take it!

Edited by OccamsRazor

Well, I like this move by Homer. I'm not counting my chickens yet, though. Nashville has a week to offer and I'm sure they're sitting down going over every scenario to make this work for them.

I got home from work and pulled up the forum. The only thing I can say after reading 12 pages in this thread is theat you guys need to get jobs or actually work while you're at the job!!! :o:D

HEY HEY HEY it's my day off and have to work the whole weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let me enjoy this dream...please don't wake me!!!!!!

Dude i don't care if he score them from the press box you can try to devalue them all you want but like i said Lehtang's best season he only score 10 twice and Weber has score 23 in a season...hell this past season for as you would call a "defensive defenseman" he scored 19 goals...

...thats was tied for 3rd on his whole gawd damn team by a defenseman no less...AMAZING!!!!!!

That is more than almost ALL of our defensive corp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll take it!

I'm not trying to devalue his production so much as remain focused on what I feel are the strongest points to his game. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder here... Just not sure any defenseman in the league right now is worth that kind if contract.

Huh? You'd raher have Letang than Weber? LMAO! I thought you were serious there for a second.

And who's saying Weber is the best of alltime? I haven't heard anyone say that. I'd say he's the best there is right now. And you make it sound like he's all D. The guy has a cannon of a shot. He's put up better numbers than Letang over his career. And he doesn't get all those bonus points playing with Crosby and Malkin on the pp. Letang is a good defenceman,,don't get me wrong. But Weber is a great one.

You're right. I misread earlier statements. The reference was in comparison to Lidstrom. I thought they were debating Weber, not realizing it was for comparison's sake. I need a iPad instead of an iPhone I guess ;)

I'm not trying to devalue his production so much as remain focused on what I feel are the strongest points to his game. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder here... Just not sure any defenseman in the league right now is worth that kind if contract.

Well he is the best overall Dman i've seen in the NHL since Pronger's early hay day in St.Louie...

...and since the Flyers have a horrible, horrible track record at drafting defensemen i understand they value him since they have trouble find one besides signing one!!!!

Look at their defense...

Kimmo (traded for the rights)

Coburn (traded for)

Grossman (traded for)

Schenn (traded for)

Mezaros (traded for)

Carle when he was here (traded for)

Kubina when he was here (traded for)

Lilja (signed)

....so with the examples i provided you can see they have just a little trouble drafting one....so hence they have to offer sheet the best Dman in the league to most (beside Penguin fans)...

so i'm ok with it.

Edited by OccamsRazor

A defenseman like Weber doesn´t come along often, I can understand the Flyers. But what if Weber has told Poile he wants out of Nashville. If he´s told them he wants out, that can be of significance too. Why throw all that cash at a player that wants to leave. I think Weber is disgruntled by the fact the Preds lost Suter for nothing. He wants to win. If this IS the case, it´s better for all parties to work out a trade and move on. Wishfull thinking on my part, I know. But there were reports that Weber was devastated by the news Suter left, and he might have told both the Flyers and Preds he wants to play elsewhere.

Yes sir. That's why there is a poison pill. We are entering an age where one player can start to take out enough bricks that the franchise foundaton falls. Interesting times indeed.

@OSR29

I'm certain that Weber wants out of NSH. He did before Suter left. Now he surely does. I agree, that it doesn't make sense to sign a guy to a 15 year contract if he doesn't want to be there. I still think they do match, but if they don't that will be why.

Poison Pill + CBA + Weber Wants Out = Weber A Flyer Via Offer Sheet Then A Trade With Holmgren In The End Fleecing Preds.

Holmgren is just a better hockey mind that Poile & with an unlimited checkbook.

Bettman must have heard from every GM and owner today ad nauseum and is pooping in his pants.

I don't really see how you can say that.

He is going to be 27 in about a month. I'd say the odds are pretty good he won't play 14 more years. So what happens then? What happens when he's washed up and simply too old/banged up to play and there's still has like 5 years left on his contract. Isn't that why people hated the Pronger contract?

This is all about the Flyers winning 2-3 Cups in the next 5 years. This is about Snider going out a winner. This is how rich owners play the game. Nothing matters after 5 years.

@BearOnIce The great thing is Weber will continue to be in his prime for the next 5-8 years...sometime during that timeframe, our young stars will mature fully....G, Voras, Couts, Schenn, hell even Scott Laughton might mature before Weber is out of his prime. That's a PRETTY BIG WINDOW>>>LOL!. That's what makes this move so enticing, Weber age and how it applies to the Flyers plans/window.

If there's a player in the NHL the Flyers should offer sheet, this is the guy. I have no problem giving up 4-1sts for Weber. This isn't a broken down Chris Pronger, this is the best defenceman in the world just entering his prime. Those 1st round picks aren't as valuable as the players the Preds would want in a trade.

Yes, no doubt, but he knows there is a serious poison pill, the upcoming CBA, that the Preds know he does not want to stay, and Poile to keep his job will have to trade on Holmgren's terms. Flyers winner here. Homer is a smarter GM than Poile. Weber and Hartnell will skate togther again. But, expect a few missing Flyer faces.

Help me out here people i'm reading this thread and think i've seen multiple instances where people are suggesting we trade with NSH if they don't match ? is this what i'm reading , because if it is, those typing it ought to have their heads examined. if they don't match , he's on our team, enjoy drafting late in the first for 4 years Dave.

if they do match; weber can't be traded for a year, right now the flyers have him under the offer sheet contract where as the Preds have nothing but the ability to match the deal.

if they don't match the offer screw them, there's no trade back bs, weber's a flyer, and look out eastern conference.

do i have this scenario wrong ?

Help me out here people i'm reading this thread and think i've seen multiple instances where people are suggesting we trade with NSH if they don't match ? is this what i'm reading , because if it is, those typing it ought to have their heads examined. if they don't match , he's on our team, enjoy drafting late in the first for 4 years Dave.

if they do match; weber can't be traded for a year, right now the flyers have him under the offer sheet contract where as the Preds have nothing but the ability to match the deal.

if they don't match the offer screw them, there's no trade back bs, weber's a flyer, and look out eastern conference.

do i have this scenario wrong ?

Philly can still trade for Weber before the Nsh doomsday counter hits zero. I'll be interested in seeing how any trade scenario worth Weber is better for Philly than four (hopefully) late first round picks.

Philly can still trade for Weber before the Nsh doomsday counter hits zero. I'll be interested in seeing how any trade scenario worth Weber is better for Philly than four (hopefully) late first round picks.

no, i don't believe they can. once an offersheet is signed, the player involved can not be traded. the only two scenarios are the predators match, or they don't.

• Like 1