Most Missed ex-Flyers Currently Still Playing

Guest Digityman

2) Patrick Sharp - Over the last four years he's averaging 60pts. Works the PK. Imagine him and Talbot on the PK?

Everyone is saying Patrick Sharp. I am not sure I fully get this. Perhaps I am splitting hairs because of the words "most missed". In his first two years with Chicago, Sharp was barely more than what he was here production wise (not that he got much of a chance here: 40 games one year and only 22 games the next year). He was only getting 10 minutes a night here in Philly. When he went to Chicago, he was bumped up to 13:30, getting extra time both on the PP and PK (second pairing only).

His first full season there, he rose to 17:30 a game. Getting an increase in ES, PK and PP. That was on a poor Chicago team (interestingly, that was also the year we finished last in the league). Probably the biggest thing regarding Sharp is that we already had enough Centers (Forsberg, Richards, Carter and Handzus). It was Sharps second full season with Chicago that he had his "break out" year.

I think the thing is that Sharp was not going to get the opportunity in Philly the way he did in those early bad Chicago teams. Not because of Hitch or any other coach, but simply because of depth chart. Sharp got the minutes in Chicago and gained confidence and grew as a player. He was 24 when he was traded, so not a baby by any means.

People say "horrible trade" etc. etc. But he was the 95th pick of the 2001 draft and had not really shown anything of significance up to the point he was traded.

The other thing that has helped him (though he has moved back to Center this year) is that Chicago moved him to wing where he could "rove" more as he is apt to do.

In summary, a guy that played only 60 games for us over two seasons (despite blossoming into a very good NHL player) is not on my missed list. I like the Zubrus and Gagne comments.

Umberger was a Flyer for sure, another one that I wished well when he left, and wouldn't have minded "back in the fold" at one time.

And you know, it took me a while, but Carcillo did start to grow on me after a while (despite that damned extra second rounder.) Rinaldo, however, is quickly making me forget about ol' Danny.

Everyone is saying Patrick Sharp. I am not sure I fully get this. Perhaps I am splitting hairs because of the words "most missed". In his first two years with Chicago, Sharp was barely more than what he was here production wise (not that he got much of a chance here: 40 games one year and only 22 games the next year). He was only getting 10 minutes a night here in Philly. When he went to Chicago, he was bumped up to 13:30, getting extra time both on the PP and PK (second pairing only).

His first full season there, he rose to 17:30 a game. Getting an increase in ES, PK and PP. That was on a poor Chicago team (interestingly, that was also the year we finished last in the league). Probably the biggest thing regarding Sharp is that we already had enough Centers (Forsberg, Richards, Carter and Handzus). It was Sharps second full season with Chicago that he had his "break out" year.

I think the thing is that Sharp was not going to get the opportunity in Philly the way he did in those early bad Chicago teams. Not because of Hitch or any other coach, but simply because of depth chart. Sharp got the minutes in Chicago and gained confidence and grew as a player. He was 24 when he was traded, so not a baby by any means.

People say "horrible trade" etc. etc. But he was the 95th pick of the 2001 draft and had not really shown anything of significance up to the point he was traded.

The other thing that has helped him (though he has moved back to Center this year) is that Chicago moved him to wing where he could "rove" more as he is apt to do.

In summary, a guy that played only 60 games for us over two seasons (despite blossoming into a very good NHL player) is not on my missed list. I like the Zubrus and Gagne comments.

Thank you voice of reason. The Sharp thing bothers me too.

The Umberger picks aren't bad ones though. He just wanted to play hockey.

Probably Richards.

Surprised no one said Justin Williams who unlike Patrick Sharp actually played almost two full seasons with the team and after trading him he went on to have back to back 30 goals seasons with Carolina.

I think so many said Sharp only because he has turned into a good player and goal scorer but if he hadn't no one would miss him as he hardly played. While Sharp is certainly a guy who turned into a player, he really didn't have many games nor show any inkling of what type of player he would become when he was a Flyer. The kid played not even a full season in a Flyers uniform (actually 63 games over two seasons) and scored an astounding 10 goals and 5 assists. That is like saying your favorite ex-Phillie was Ryne Sanberg.

Just remember all those Schenn bashers that if Schenn were to put up 15 points in 63 games the fans would be killing him.

Gags a little bit but when he was traded, he was done as far as I was concerned.

Edited by Dynamo 47

The topic is "most missed ex-Flyers" and I most miss Patrick Sharp, my fellow alum from UVM.

If the thread was "best ex-Flyers still playing" we might come up with a different answer :-)

Sharp was another guy who really never got a shot with the Flyers. Played 41 games before the lockout, then had 22 before being traded to Chicago. When he was traded he was almost universally badmouthed as a bust who would never amount to much and some people believed the Flyers got the better end of the deal.

In his first full season with the Hawks he scored 20. The next season - 36.Then 26, 25 and 34. In return, Matt Ellison played seven games for the Flyers, notching a point. And 110 Phantoms games with 24 goals and 64 points.

Perrennial 20-goal scorer, averaged 30 goals a season the past four years. Yeah, I think I'd "miss" that even without the "fellow alum" thing.

I don't know that the Sandberg reference holds any water. Sandberg played 13 games for the Phillies with six at bats. Appearing in eight percent of games - and not even batting in half of them - isn't quite the same and playing half a season and then a quarter of a season on the main roster.

They're still two Really Really bad trades, though.

Probably Richards.

Surprised no one said Justin Williams who unlike Patrick Sharp actually played almost two full seasons with the team and after trading him he went on to have back to back 30 goals seasons with Carolina.

I think so many said Sharp only because he has turned into a good player and goal scorer but if he hadn't no one would miss him as he hardly played. While Sharp is certainly a guy who turned into a player, he really didn't have many games nor show any inkling of what type of player he would become when he was a Flyer. The kid played not even a full season in a Flyers uniform (actually 63 games over two seasons) and scored an astounding 10 goals and 5 assists. That is like saying your favorite ex-Phillie was Ryne Sanberg.

Just remember all those Schenn bashers that if Schenn were to put up 15 points in 63 games the fans would be killing him.

Gags a little bit but when he was traded, he was done as far as I was concerned.

Another good call with Justin Williams. I did really like him, but I guess he wasn't around long enough nor made a big enough impact in some manner to make him a most missed for me personally.

Ex-Flyers Currently Playing

* missed

** can't play

*** can't play, won Cup

Brian Boucher

Joni Pitkanen**

Dainus Zubrus* (sorta)

Mark Eaton***

Martin Biron* (sorta)

Steve Eminger

Ruslan Fedotenko* & *** (KICKING MYSELF for not including Rusty before now)

Jeff Woywitka (no, really - Jeff Woywitka)

Arron Asham*

Alexandre Picard (make it so, #1)

Dennis Seidenberg***

Ville Leino**

Joffrey Lupul**

Kris Versteeg

Steve Downie**

Mike Knuble* & **

Dan Carcillo**

Sean O'Donnell

Patrick Sharp* & ***

Jeff Carter

Vinny "Vaclav" Prospal

RJ Umburglar**

Andrew Alberts

Dan Hamhuis ("Flyers property")

Nate Guenin

Luca Sbisa

Simon Gagne*

Mike Richards

Justin Williams* & ***

Daymond Langkow (Wayne Gretzky's favorite player)

Michal Handzus

Jim Vandermeer**

Scottie Upshall

Who'd I miss?

Edited by radoran

Kapanen is still active??? I'll throw his name on my list of players I miss easily. I'll never forget him taking one for the team and suiting up at defense, or the time he was TKO'd, but managed to Bambi his way close enough to the bench to get hooked over for a line change. That guy was willing to sacrifice for the team.

Everyone is saying Patrick Sharp. I am not sure I fully get this. Perhaps I am splitting hairs because of the words "most missed". In his first two years with Chicago, Sharp was barely more than what he was here production wise (not that he got much of a chance here: 40 games one year and only 22 games the next year). He was only getting 10 minutes a night here in Philly. When he went to Chicago, he was bumped up to 13:30, getting extra time both on the PP and PK (second pairing only).""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

another non-transparent factor included in this trade shouldbe the time period during which this trade took place. I agree with what you said about minutes BUT this trade happened at the same time of the massive rule changes.

This trade is a symbol, to me, that the Flyers had no clue about what was going on within the league and how to adapt to those changes. Yeah Sharp was not getting a lot of minutes with the Flyers at the time but it was obvious that the kid could be an effective two-way player. (I admit I was shocked with his point totals later on)

I remember at the time of the trade thinking that Ellison must be a decent third line center for the Flyers to give up on Sharp, only to look up Ellison to find that he was a career minor leaguer. My opinion but the trade did not make sense then, and obviously was a bust now.

I may be wrong but I group Sharp with Williams as players that Hitch did not want to coach on his team and had the org move them out.

• Like 1

I may be wrong but I group Sharp with Williams as players that Hitch did not want to coach on his team and had the org move them out.

i agree with a lot of what you are laying down here.

i also think having sharp around would have been helpful to richards and carter from a maturation standpoint, he is just a little older than those guys but would have had some credibility with them from a team/ hockey skills stand point, & a poon chasing standpoint he could have lessened the rush to promote richards to captain since he would have been the leader of the young group... i really think had hitch not buried him at the end of the bench the make up of the roster would look different today, and maybe there's some better banners hanging from the rafters.

Kapanen is still active??? I'll throw his name on my list of players I miss easily. I'll never forget him taking one for the team and suiting up at defense, or the time he was TKO'd, but managed to Bambi his way close enough to the bench to get hooked over for a line change. That guy was willing to sacrifice for the team.

Yes he is still playing.

On April 7, 2011, Kapanen announced that he would be doing a comeback as a player in KalPa, playing on a two year contract. He, however, stepped down as the club's chief executive officer (CEO) and instead handed that role over to his brother Kimmo Kapanen.

Patrick Thoresen

Sammy Kapanen

Jeff Woywitka

I'll give a vote for Jeff Carter the face-off Beast.

But my most missed player has probably been Justin Williams

Thoresen and Kapanen aren't in the NHL.

I mentioned Woywitka:

Thoresen and Kapanen aren't in the NHL.

I mentioned Woywitka:

Correct you did have woywitka. My bad. But digity's first post said playing in any league and yours didn't specify.