Matt Read

Guest 34thandPearl

Read has been fantastic for fantasy of late... Clutch is right, not just goals, but game winning goals... What, he had two count in the last 10 minutes yesterday? From what I could see from Vegas (I hate this city) seemed like a few others were really close...

This is a semi-hijack thread post, so I apologize in advance to the OP.

We joke about Jeff who, but then out of the other side of our mouths ride JVR. I get why- mostly it is built on the expectation of continual growth beyond last year. While he has not played horribly, I think he has been more off / on and I have seen more brain cramps from him this year in a short amount of time then all last year. His brain cramps have cost.

However: I believe he was goaless after the first 17 games last year and had only 3 assists. He has played 17 games this year and has 7g / 7a. On pace for a 30 / 30 year in his 3rd season. In fact, he is 3rd on the team overall in scoring. Now if he could improve his brain cramps, play with more focus and tighten up a more defensively, people would probably be lauding him like others.

who's jeff LOL

He has made me eat some serious crow thus far. I thought he was all speed with no finish. I actually thought he would turn out to be a Mike Maneluk type guy who would dominate the "A" and not cut it in the pro ranks. Glad that I was wrong on him.

I didn't get a chance to see him before his NHL debut, so I was taking all the Read talk with a grain of salt...have to say, legit hockey sense, legit moves, scintillating speed....he is indeed the real deal. The whole damn package...right down to the Giroux like never say die, never quit work ethic....a kid you can go to war with....one of the best free agent signings in recent memory.

So does Read go on the top line with Jagr out or is his game to similar to G? I think they were playing JVR in his place mostly last night.

I would like to see Read play with Giroux when Jagr is out. They both have amazing speed and Read looks like a finisher so he would be a good fit with Giroux. I read somewhere that Homer gave him a 3 year one way contract, glad he turned out great so far cause I don't think he can be sent to the minors.

He has made me eat some serious crow thus far. I thought he was all speed with no finish. I actually thought he would turn out to be a Mike Maneluk type guy who would dominate the "A" and not cut it in the pro ranks. Glad that I was wrong on him.

You mean like Schenn? :blink:

I would like to see Read play with Giroux when Jagr is out. They both have amazing speed and Read looks like a finisher so he would be a good fit with Giroux. I read somewhere that Homer gave him a 3 year one way contract, glad he turned out great so far cause I don't think he can be sent to the minors.

He can. I don't know the specifics on his waiver elligibility, but a one-way contract just means he gets paid the same whether he's on the Flyers or sent down to the minors. Doesn't effect the ability to go to the minors. Walker and Leighton are on one-way contracts as well.

He has great hockey sense combined with tenacity

This! Matt Read is the definition of Smart Hockey. Positionally he's one of the best players we've got; his skills are not quite Giroux level but way above average and his release is quick. Twisted Wrister!

Hope to hell he doesn't hit the 50-game wall.

And people should lay off JvR. Maybe he's not Patrick Kane but the kid is what -- 21? -- and he's going at about .7 pts/game, right? Not bad, not bad. He's only gonna get better but it's never fast enough for the fan base, it seems.

And people should lay off JvR. Maybe he's not Patrick Kane but the kid is what -- 21? -- and he's going at about .7 pts/game, right? Not bad, not bad. He's only gonna get better but it's never fast enough for the fan base, it seems.

I don't think it's the points so much as the hockey sense and effort. His play lately is a little too reminiscent of Carter. But look at a guy like Read, and even when he's not getting points, he is involved in a play every time he's on the ice. Second efforts, hitting, killing penalties, cycling. He's 'visible' all the time.

I still like him, and his production is up from last year, so we can't complain too much... it's just that I was hoping we'd get a little more Playoff JVR.

I don't think it's the points so much as the hockey sense and effort. His play lately is a little too reminiscent of Carter. But look at a guy like Read, and even when he's not getting points, he is involved in a play every time he's on the ice. Second efforts, hitting, killing penalties, cycling. He's 'visible' all the time.

I still like him, and his production is up from last year, so we can't complain too much... it's just that I was hoping we'd get a little more Playoff JVR.

i have a suspicion he's getting used to his new more muscular frame as well, i spent most of my youth as a skinny athlete when i was in my 20 and 30's my body changed, partially because i worked on it in the gym but also i physically matured. after adding my 20 lbs of muscle (over years ) i did not feel near as quick and wasn't sure what to do with the new found strength and power. eventually about a season, i figured it out and all of my athletic endeavors, volleyball , tennis, and golf saw improvement but while i was getting used my new self i felt heavy footed, and slow to react. perhaps some of this is going on with JvR since he spent the summer pulling ford 150's around in parking lots...

i have a suspicion he's getting used to his new more muscular frame as well, i spent most of my youth as a skinny athlete when i was in my 20 and 30's my body changed, partially because i worked on it in the gym but also i physically matured. after adding my 20 lbs of muscle (over years ) i did not feel near as quick and wasn't sure what to do with the new found strength and power. eventually about a season, i figured it out and all of my athletic endeavors, volleyball , tennis, and golf saw improvement but while i was getting used my new self i felt heavy footed, and slow to react. perhaps some of this is going on with JvR since he spent the summer pulling ford 150's around in parking lots...

I think JVR read this thread because he had a great game last night. I would say he was the best Flyer on the ice (though that ain't saying much)... strong on the puck, driving the net, and staying with the play.

Playoff JVR ;)

He has made me eat some serious crow thus far.

You aren't alone. Earlier in the season I had some doubts about his confidence and touch around the net. Wrong. He's playing with amazing confidence right now. He's an amazing story.

I agree Bre. I just wish he'd stop being so God damn inconsistent. You see him play like that and then he goes for 2 weeks without even noticing him. He still gets point, but this kid can flat out dominate when he puts his mind to it.

He got off to a slow start last year as well but played great down the stretch and in the post season. He's showing flashes of getting un tracked so maybe he'll repeat the slow start, great finish pattern. I'd love to see him take the puck to the net more often like he did the other night when he scored against Carolina.