Bryzgalov leaves KHL team - Reasons unclear....

Digityman

Just to be clear, Bryz was not 12-6-5, he played (started) 12 games, compiling a 6-5 record.

Bob has so far played 22 games, compiling a 16-3-2 record.

My bad - the KHL site isn't loading correctly on my computer and none of the columns lined up properly.

Upon review, third number also appears to be "shootouts played" - rather than "ties" or "shootout wins".

They don't seem to have a "game log" feature, so I don't have specifics, but for Bryz to get to 2.13/.913 after a disastrous (and widely reported) start, he must have had some pretty good (and underreported) games.

I'm gonna duck after I type this, but after this year, Tim Thomas is a UFA. Sign him to a 1 year deal?? IF he'd even take a 1 year deal....

Look at the UFA goalies heading into 2014-2015!

I, for one, would sign Tim Thomas.

UFA Goalie 2013: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

And a one year deal would work fine. I would also heavily consider taking a run at Backstrom.

If that doesn't work, Lundqvist is up in 2014 ;-)

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=G&fa_type_id=2

What? Don't think Lundqvist would be available? How would Ryan Miller look in orange & black? ;-)

Just looked up Bob's numbers with St. Petersburg for fun.

16-3-2, 2.12, .925.

another dagger to the heart in the Bob story. doesn't surprise me either. what a concept - if you speak the same language as your teammates, coaches = your game is better than if you don't.

glad we got rid of this kid - what a loser - who btw now speaks english just fine.

[edit: okay I made up that last part - but I'll bet it's true :P ]

Edited by canoli

another dagger to the heart in the Bob story. doesn't surprise me either. what a concept - if you speak the same language as your teammates, coaches = your game is better than if you don't.

glad we got rid of this kid - what a loser - who btw now speaks english just fine.

[edit: okay I made up that last part - but I'll bet it's true :P ]

Varlamov leads the league in GAA (tied for 1st with 1.74) and save % (.946).

Wasn't he available at one point? Or was that a different WSH goalie I'm thinking of?

I'd rather see if Stana is available. Last I saw, he was doing well in the KHL. Beyond that, no Ryan 'weakminded' Miller, and no Tim 'I am more important than the team' Thomas. Someone is bound to get wavied, and it won't cost an arm and a leg to acquire.

Sneaky idea, @fan4ever, I like it.

@doom88

Millers stock has really fallen. I don't like Thomas' attitude, but when compared to Bryz, then throw in talent and length of contract, and it's a no-brainer.

I'm still not convinced that 'other' goalies would perform as advertised under Laviolette and our team's penchant for offense. I sooooo wish for that to NOT be the case, but I'm not so sure.

Still, Bryz has to go :)

I agree bre. We need a goalie who likes being active. Laviolettes system isn't exactly pro-goalie. And I'm still not sold it'll ever lead to a cup here. I just want a goalie who doesn't consistently let in back breaking goals. You know, ones that you or I could stop drunk while not even paying attention.

I agree bre. We need a goalie who likes being active. Laviolettes system isn't exactly pro-goalie. And I'm still not sold it'll ever lead to a cup here. I just want a goalie who doesn't consistently let in back breaking goals. You know, ones that you or I could stop drunk while not even paying attention.

LOL. Bryz is the new Hextall when it comes to backbreaking goals. Man, I loved watching Hexy play, but he drove me absolutely bonkers with the backbreaking goals he would let in.

Show me the goalie who doesn't let in "backbreaking" goals.

LOL. Bryz is the new Hextall when it comes to backbreaking goals. Man, I loved watching Hexy play, but he drove me absolutely bonkers with the backbreaking goals he would let in.

Ron Hextall is a legend in Philadelphia and one of the most revered Flyers by fans.

Basically, Bryz needs to drop the gloves or shoot more?

I have no problem getting rid of Bryzgalov and Ed can use my back to sign the buyout check if he wants. But this mystical belief that somehow there will be a goalie who doesn't give up a "backbreaking goals" is like trying to find Sasquatch (who might actually do pretty well, given the size - but I'm not sure his movement in pads will be fast enough).

For me, the biggest "backbreaker" in recent memory was given up by the guy who's backing up Bryz...

@radoran

Yes rad, every goalie lets in bad goals. Which is why I put "consistently" in front of "let in back breaking goals." Leightons goal was brutal. But Bryz just kept reminding us of it over and over. And i get that he isn't going to turn down that ridiculous contract...I just expect better than a wacko version of leighton for that kind of money.

I think this may be the first time we've discussed this though. :rolleyes:

Ron Hextall is a legend in Philadelphia and one of the most revered Flyers by fans.

Like I said, I loved the way he played the game. With an edge and more than a hint of crazy.

I know all goalies let in backbreakers... but the only ones we care about are against our goalies. And I remember Hexy's backbreakers more than any other Flyers goalie from the period. Leighton's takes the cake though...