Could Laughton make the squad?

Guest brelic

Does anyone think Laughton has a shot at making our squad this year? ASF does...

In talking with people in the organization who have watched Laughton play at Oshawa in the OHL this season, they are really impressed with his game and they think he could be NHL ready right now.

With that said, I think Laughton, the Flyers first round pick in last year's draft, has a shot to not only be at camp, but, much like Couturier last season, win a job on the team. People have asked me for a roster surprise, well, that's it in my opinion. Laughton makes the team.

That would be interesting to see, though there's no way he makes this squad as a C. We have too many of those already, no? G, Briere, Schenn, Coots, Talbot.

Ahh, it's so fun to be talking hockey again!

EDIT: Here's a link to ASF's blog post. http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blog.htm?id=804

• Like 1

With the limited time in training camp, and the Flyers depth at forward, I would be surprised if he makes the team. I've never seen him play though, so what do I know?

all joking aside (and this board certainly has that ;) )..... I agree with you @JackStraw. I think it is jsut too short of time to fairly evaluate him. It is going to be a challenge to get all the vets from last year to skate together and get use to each other again in such a short time period.

I wonder if we had taken Maatta we'd be asking: could Maatta make the team?

I think the answer to that has a better chance of being Yes than it does for Scotty (is it ok if I call him that, I so miss my lil' Scottie Upshall....?)

• Like 2

they aren't going to waste a year of his contact and RFA for him to play 2 minutes top a game on the 4th line.

Particularly for only half a season. I'm approaching the upcoming "season" as mere exhibition, and not a real Hockey year.

I've seen Matta enough to make an educated guess....he could make this team....right now. He's better than our 5-7 guys. Of course, I'm projecting, the NHL is obviously a big jump from the OHL, but his composure under fire, smarts, skating, yeah he could help for sure. He's way better than Gervais, Gus, Lilja etc.

If an NHL GM has a "reasonable" expectation that a OHL'er could make the team, then sure, try him out.....BUT...this is the middle of the year, pulling a kid out of Oshawa would not be fair to his Generals teammates or fan base. I think it's unrealistic to think he can go to a NHL camp and win a job...Scott will be a solid player, but right now, he belongs in Oshawa.

• Like 1

Does anyone think Laughton has a shot at making our squad this year? ASF does...

That would be interesting to see, though there's no way he makes this squad as a C. We have too many of those already, no? G, Briere, Schenn, Coots, Talbot.

Ahh, it's so fun to be talking hockey again!

EDIT: Here's a link to ASF's blog post. http://flyers.nhl.co...blog.htm?id=804

Can't be at center, right? (Although Briere is hurt.)

He could be Cooter part deux.

Can't be at center, right? (Although Briere is hurt.)

He could be Cooter part deux.

Apparently, according to CSNPhilly, Laughton has a nameplate at the facility for him, so it sounds as though he will at least attend training camp. But, I agree with others that they're very unlikely to burn a year of his rookie contract unless he absolutely blows everyone away. And even then, you have to slot him somewhere where he'll get decent minutes... 3rd line would make sense.

I guess if Briere and Schenn play wing, it's less of a problem.

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Couturier/Briere

Simmonds/Laughton/Read

Rinaldo/Talbot/Fedotenko

I don't think Coots is ready to be #2 center... it makes more sense to continue to let him develop at #3. Plus, Fedotenko would be underused on the 4th.

Bottom line, I can't see how Laughton makes this squad this year.

Apparently, according to CSNPhilly, Laughton has a nameplate at the facility for him, so it sounds as though he will at least attend training camp. But, I agree with others that they're very unlikely to burn a year of his rookie contract unless he absolutely blows everyone away. And even then, you have to slot him somewhere where he'll get decent minutes... 3rd line would make sense.

I guess if Briere and Schenn play wing, it's less of a problem.

Hartnell/Giroux/Voracek

Schenn/Couturier/Briere

Simmonds/Laughton/Read

Rinaldo/Talbot/Fedotenko

I don't think Coots is ready to be #2 center... it makes more sense to continue to let him develop at #3. Plus, Fedotenko would be underused on the 4th.

Bottom line, I can't see how Laughton makes this squad this year.

We'll see. If the kid comes in and shows some skill defensively (like Cooter las year), I think they find a spot for him.

But with a shortened camp, I don't know.

Has he been playing with the Phantoms? (If so, it's been awfully quiet.)

We'll see. If the kid comes in and shows some skill defensively (like Cooter las year), I think they find a spot for him.

But with a shortened camp, I don't know.

Has he been playing with the Phantoms? (If so, it's been awfully quiet.)

No, not in the AHL, but he has been back with his squad in the OHL. 32pts in 30GP so far with the Oshawa Generals. He's 3rd on the team in scoring.

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=128062

Here's what they say about him at hockeysfuture.com

Talent Analysis

Laughton is two-way center whose primary skills are on the defensive side of the ledger. He is a hard-worker with a consistent approach to the game and plenty of smarts. Laughton is not a highly skilled player and it remains to be seen how he'll develop in this area, but he should be an effective third-line player with some potential for second-line duty.