Briere - Future?

BearOnIce

Put yourself in Boston's shoes.

What do you give up for Briere?

And, if everyone on this board is tacitly acknowledging his play is declining, why don't astute hockey minds who are paid to make such decisions see the same thing?

It depends...how much do they think he has left? Is Briere's down year due to playing wing..where he has NEVER played well. Is it playing on a bad team this year..which is what the Flyers are. Do they feel they need another scoring center--Peverley is not cutting it from what I've been reading.

If you are Boston, and you think he can contribute, and the deal costs no one off the current roster.........

I don't see the Bruins trading for him either realistically...but there have been multiple reports, from various outlets, about trade rumors..so there must be some tire kicking going on.

It depends...how much do they think he has left? Is Briere's down year due to playing wing..where he has NEVER played well. Is it playing on a bad team this year..which is what the Flyers are. Do they feel they need another scoring center--Peverley is not cutting it from what I've been reading.

If you are Boston, and you think he can contribute, and the deal costs no one off the current roster.........

I don't see the Bruins trading for him either realistically...but there have been multiple reports, from various outlets, about trade rumors..so there must be some tire kicking going on.

It would be irresponsible for Homer to not be kicking the tires.

Third rounder?

Again - it is addition by subtraction at this point. I'm just not expecting much in return.

Happy to be plesantly surprised.

I've watched Briere very closely of late, my conclusion.....LAZY!!! Totally uninspired effort from a vet who is obviously mailing it in. Get rid of this piece of garbage!! He has real value at the deadline. When packaged with the right players, we could make a killing. Thing is, with the buy out looming, Danny knows he will be moving soon, so why not waive the NMC and have a chance at winning it all??? One answer is the players do not get paid for the playoffs.....maybe having his name on the cup is not all that important to this lazy bum.

I've watched Briere very closely of late, my conclusion.....LAZY!!! Totally uninspired effort from a vet who is obviously mailing it in. Get rid of this piece of garbage!! He has real value at the deadline. When packaged with the right players, we could make a killing. Thing is, with the buy out looming, Danny knows he will be moving soon, so why not waive the NMC and have a chance at winning it all??? One answer is the players do not get paid for the playoffs.....maybe having his name on the cup is not all that important to this lazy bum.

I do think that "piece of garbage" and "lazy bum" are a bit strong.

I am not happy with Briere's play, but we really don't need to resort to hyperbole.

If he is "uninspired" and "mailing it it" and that is "obvious" - who is going to give you something of value for this "lazy, uninspired piece of garbage who is mailing it in"?

And why isn't he inspired by the shining example his captain is putting out there?

@radoran

Briere was "uninspired" long before Giroux became captain. He played some uninspired hockey when when Pronger was captain. He was uninspired when Richards was captain. Jason Smith. He was uninspired when there was no captain.

By your description, he's been "uninspired' since he arrived here.

Amazing that a 30/70 player (twice) could be "uninspired" in this league. The NHL must be easier than I thought.

To be clear, again, I never wanted Briere here (nor any of the "must have #1 Cs" of the day - Drury, Gomez) but I do think that if the Flyers win the Cup in 2010, there's more than a small chance he has his #48 hanging next to 1, 2, 4, 7 and 16 and you wouldn't be using the term "uninspired" to describe his entire tenure with the team.

@radoran

I didn't mean his entire tenure here was uninspired. He's played some great hockey. He's also played some really bad hockey. As average as Giroux has been at times, Briere has been horrible. Not to mention the dumb penalties, the $6.5 million cap hit, and the fact that he too is part of the leadership of the team (that is something I never understood). When you've been around the NHL as long as Briere, are paid like Briere, and wear an A do you really need someone to inspire you?

Sorry, but I hardly put Briere in the same building, much less the same room or sentence as 1, 2, 4, 7, or 16.

4 of them are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Briere will never sniff the hall of fame. Unless he pays for a ticket like me and you. :)

Edited by DaGreatGazoo
  • Like 1

@radoran

I didn't mean his entire tenure here was uninspired. He's played some great hockey. He's also played some really bad hockey. As average as Giroux has been at times, Briere has been horrible. Not to mention the dumb penalties, the $6.5 million cap hit, and the fact that he too is part of the leadership of the team (that is something I never understood). When you've been around the NHL as long as Briere, are paid like Briere, and wear an A do you really need someone to inspire you?

OK, just the times when Jason Smith, Mike Richards, Chris Pronger and Claude Giroux were captain.

I know it's crazy, but those guys are the captains for his entire stay here in the City of Brotherly Love.

See, this is why hyperbole is rarely your friend. :)

Briere was co-captain of a Conference Finals team. He was a potential Conn Smythe candidate when the Flyers went to the Finals. He's widely regarded - by the organization and the players - as a net positive influence on Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier.

Not bad for a "lazy, uninspired" player.

Sorry, but I hardly put Briere in the same building, much less the same room or sentence as 1, 2, 4, 7, or 16.

4 of them are in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Briere will never sniff the hall of fame. Unless he pays for a ticket like me and you. :)

If Briere was a Conn Smythe winner of a Cup-winning team in 2010, the Flyers may have had a different opinion.

Sorry :ph34r:

OK, just the times when Jason Smith, Mike Richards, Chris Pronger and Claude Giroux were captain.

I know it's crazy, but those guys are the captains for his entire stay here in the City of Brotherly Love.

See, this is why hyperbole is rarely your friend. :)

Briere was co-captain of a Conference Finals team. He was a potential Conn Smythe candidate when the Flyers went to the Finals. He's widely regarded - by the organization and the players - as a net positive influence on Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier.

Not bad for a "lazy, uninspired" player.

I'm just saddened by the fact that this team has had 4 different captains in 5 years. Talk about instability.

• Like 1

@radoran

I think I used the term "some" when mentioning his uninspired hockey. This isn't the first time people have been frustrated with Briere, one of our highest paid players production. We all know Giroux isn't having the year he did last year.He's still on pace for almost a point a game. That's about $45,000 a point pro-rated. It sounds ridiculous, and it is. But when you see Briere is making almost 4X that a point and bringing less to the table other than points, you get the reason I'm not a fan.

Put yourself in Boston's shoes.

What do you give up for Briere?

And, if everyone on this board is tacitly acknowledging his play is declining, why don't astute hockey minds who are paid to make such decisions see the same thing?

I don't know, Jacobs being the cheap bastard that he is might see it as a boon to get 13 mil worth of cap hit for 5 mil actual spent......making it so he would actually have less money to pay the rest of his team........

@radoran Danny has not been a lazy for his entire tenure in Philly....he has strung together very solid seasons for the Flyers. When he first got here he played some good hockey. The stats bear this out. His play has dropped off after the first year, even though his stats didn't take a dramatic plunge, his play was largely uninspired for the most part. His play the last few years has been steadily declining....except for the playoffs, which we will not make this year if everything goes according to hoyle.

"f he is "uninspired" and "mailing it it" and that is "obvious" - who is going to give you something of value for this "lazy, uninspired piece of garbage who is mailing it in"?"

His increased intensity in the playoffs is well documnted, and backed up with stats each and everytime he plays in the playoffs. So, even though he is sucking right now, the ol' "change of scenery" combined with increased playoff production makes him a valuable add come late spring. His value will be decreased due to his full cap hit in the coming season, not just a one spring rental......I'd say a 2nd rounder with a prospect might be what you can fetch....probably a mid level defensive prospect coming our way. Plus, the team getting him can cut ties with him whenever they choose...so the team is not really on the hook for next years cap hit. Maybe the Flyers can even offer to pay part of his buy out...if that is legal, not sure about that part.

@radoran I woudn't like it from a Flyers fan perspective, but still think an "all in" type of contender would think it's a smart move. I would think Danny B's point per game playoff production is better than anyone currently avaiable in a trade scenario (just a total guess on my part btw), so it would not look so sillly to a rival GM or fan.

@radoran I woudn't like it from a Flyers fan perspective, but still think an "all in" type of contender would think it's a smart move. I would think Danny B's point per game playoff production is better than anyone currently avaiable in a trade scenario (just a total guess on my part btw), so it would not look so sillly to a rival GM or fan.

I just try to start off by thinking what would be best for the Flyers if they were on the other side (not "what would the Flyers do" because that's a recipie for doing something stupid) and I try not to start from the "stars aligning/planetary conjunction" standpoint. i.e. IF Briere waives and IF there is another team that makes a move and IF a rival GM (from a team Briere is willing to go to) feels they need to compensate for that move THEN... profit! Again, always happy to be pleasantly surprised.

Right, now the flip side to the argument...

If the Flyers gave up a 2nd rounder and a prospect for a Briere-type player, what would you think?

Quite frankly, I'd have a bit of a conniption.

I'd think it was just another playoff year in Philly.

@radoran "(not "what would the Flyers do" because that's a recipie for doing something stupid)"

LOL, ain't that the truth!!

which is also an acknowledgement that other franchises do stupid things as well. I just think a 2nd is a bit high and if you get that a non-Matt Ellison/Walker type player is a bit much to expect in this situation.

I think he will not waive and would get little if he did. We either buy out or reckon on another year of slop. Where I am more charitable than others is the possibility that age has caught up with him faster than expected. My other concern is that he is getting knocked around in a league of big people. It is sad but true.