Crosby out indefinitely

Guest hf101

@hf101 Wow, just totally guessing here, but a vain attempt to try and specualte....maybe back for the 2nd round, or would that even be early? Either way, big blow if the best player in the world can't start the playoffs. This awesome depth they acquired will not be put to the test. I'd rather be the Pens with Iggy, than without him right now...Iggy might just save their asses now.

While playing for the Flyers during the 2003 season JR was hit by a similar slapshot. He was knocked out cold, his jaw was broken in 19 places. He suffered his 9th concussion on the play. He also came back in 4 weeks. Although JR's injury was worse I can't see Cindy coming back faster than that.

@Polaris922 - Bobby Hull suffered a broken jaw and missed only one game. He actually continued playing for a few games after the injury because he didn't realize it was broken (probably not as severe as Crosby's) then had his jaw wired shut and got right back in the lineup. Those were tough guys back then...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1082001/

While playing for the Flyers during the 2003 season JR was hit by a similar slapshot. He was knocked out cold, his jaw was broken in 19 places. He suffered his 9th concussion on the play. He also came back in 4 weeks. Although JR's injury was worse I can't see Cindy coming back faster than that.

Roenick was a shell of himself after that too, especially in those playoffs.

I cannot see Pgh rushing this; too much at stake long term, too much history with the head trauma.

Now instead of looking like they've loaded up for a run, they're looking to be patching holes.

Anyone remember (I think it was) Francis Lessard's broken jaw? He skated up to the trainer apparently missing a tooth. The trainer put his hands on the sides of Lessard's face, no missing tooth. Pulled his hands away, missing tooth. Then I realized his jaw had been cracked completely down the middle, and the cap was created by the pieces separating. Nasty.

I might have felt bad for Crosby if he hadn't admitted to trying to break Giroux's wrists on purpose, and being smug about it. I would rather have seen Crosby's jaw broken with an overhand right, but c'est la vie.

@ tedzep

I had a buddy have the same happen back in high school. We were 3 whheling up in the mts. He went over a cliff and cracked his full faced helmet. I looked in his mouth and told him he lost a tooth. 6 hrs later at the hospital we found out his jaw broke. It seperated btwn his lower teeth. Ouch!!! Our football coach was pissed.

• Like 1

Anyone remember (I think it was) Francis Lessard's broken jaw? He skated up to the trainer apparently missing a tooth. The trainer put his hands on the sides of Lessard's face, no missing tooth. Pulled his hands away, missing tooth. Then I realized his jaw had been cracked completely down the middle, and the cap was created by the pieces separating. Nasty.

I might have felt bad for Crosby if he hadn't admitted to trying to break Giroux's wrists on purpose, and being smug about it. I would rather have seen Crosby's jaw broken with an overhand right, but c'est la vie.

He never said he was trying to break his wrists... Ted your memory is amazing. Lol. What he said was...

Crosby: ”No. I really like to win the faceoff. I don’t try to go after his wrists but if I caught it, I’m not sorry for it. I think it’s hilarious I hear that stuff from Philly.

“It’s comedy to me to be honest with you. They’re probably involved in that stuff more than any team in the league and they’re the ones always talking about it.

“I guess I’m not apologetic. I was trying to win a faceoff and if I caught his wrist, then I caught his wrist. He seemed to play okay so I couldn’t have hurt him that bad.”

The Pens will be fine. If nothing else this team has proven that they can rally and play competitive hockey when multiple star players go down. Two years ago it was Crosby, Malkin and Staal. Now it's Crosby, Letang and Martin. That 2010-11 team was not as deep as this team is now.

From the sound of it, the jaw will heal in time for the playoffs. Not shattered or wired shut (see: Roenick and 4 weeks). The bigger concern is the liquid diet and weight loss...how long that goes on and how long it is before Crosby is back in game shape once the jaw is healed.

In the meantime, the Pens have more than enough firepower to maintain pace to keep the 1st or 2nd seed. I'd like to see them keep Iginla with Neal and Malkin and let Sutter center Kunitz and Dupuis.

@jammer2

Wonder if Iginla would still have signed with the Penguins today after both Martin and Crosby's recent injuries?

That's a good question. The injury was such a fluke thing, wrong place at the wrong time kinda thing. Reminds me of several Lindros injuries, just totally unlucky and flukey....and at the wrong time like Eric.

The Crosby injury may well end up being a blessing if it isn't too severe. He's been a horse (tee-hee) for the team all year long. If they can make do for whatever playoff games he does miss (if any) the rest might be more of a help than a hinderance.

Jeez, I go out of town(well that's not so unusual though) and look what happens. The only good I heard was that they seem to have put in a plate, so the jaw should be stronger, and he may come back earlier than if they simply let it heal. Well, good for us to hear, but probably was longer in surgery and hurts a little more.

Jeez, I go out of town(well that's not so unusual though) and look what happens. The only good I heard was that they seem to have put in a plate, so the jaw should be stronger, and he may come back earlier than if they simply let it heal. Well, good for us to hear, but probably was longer in surgery and hurts a little more.

He's out of the hospital at least. I think he'll be back very soon.

@Polaris922 We have seen many guys come back from this type of injury with a full face shield, but very soon....how is he gonna play while still sipping through a straw? If he comes back to early, guys will target his head and make him pay, it's just the way things go, the opposition knows you are hurt and they target the injury. Been happening since the baby Jesus was chugging back the Frankincense and Muir.

@Polaris922 We have seen many guys come back from this type of injury with a full face shield, but very soon....how is he gonna play while still sipping through a straw? If he comes back to early, guys will target his head and make him pay, it's just the way things go, the opposition knows you are hurt and they target the injury. Been happening since the baby Jesus was chugging back the Frankincense and Muir.

I think he'll sit till the last game myself. He'll do conditioning and focus in nutrition till then. We're in the playoffs so there's no need to rush it.

He's out of the hospital at least. I think he'll be back very soon.

Can they put a titanium plate over the rest of his skull?

Him being out for the remainder of the regular season has opened the door to a very interesting possibility....

Ladies and gentleman, your 2012-13 Art Ross Trophy winner.....Chris Kunitz?

While not likely, it's possible. He's a point behind Stamkos and 2 points ahead of St. Louis and Kane. Pens have 11 games left. Bolts and Hawks have 13.

Hey you got your baby Jesus quote in. Frankencense? Is that what malkins house smells like?

No No and No, I keep tellin you all, its the Borscht.

Anyway, its going to help the fact that his game has changed a little since the concussion. He doesn't go barrelling into corners as much, and avoids unnecessary contact along the boards instead of trying to bull his way through, or use that low lean. I think the fact he does that now will keep him from too may hits.

@B21

Kunitz has no chance whatsoever of winning the Art Ross. I think Malking is firmly entrenched with Neal and Iginla. Kunitz is going to have to suffer with Dupuis and, ugh, Kennedy. I would rather have seen them put Jeffery up there instead, Kennedy has become much more of a grinder, and hasn't really played center since coming to the Pens.

@nossagog

<< Kunitz has no chance whatsoever of winning the Art Ross. I think Malking is firmly entrenched with Neal and Iginla. Kunitz is going to have to suffer with Dupuis and, ugh, Kennedy. I would rather have seen them put Jeffery up there instead, Kennedy has become much more of a grinder, and hasn't really played center since coming to the Pens. >>

I know it's a long shot but wouldn't it be nice? I think my boy TK may have seen his days centering Kunitz and Dupuis, too. Bylsma was very non-committal in his comments after the game.