Mason a Flyer

Guest albertaflyer

Leighton for Mason maybe. Leighton and a third? Maybe, maybe not. I've watched Mason pretty closely here in Columbus and was initially very impressed but then he just tanked and hasn't really recovered. I really thought he had the capability to be a really good goalie. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good and bring out his old self. Man, I really want to think this is a good thing, and it could be. But I won't hold my breath - especially in a market as hard on its goalies as this one is. That said, after all these goalie shenanigans, why didn't we just keep Bob? What's the end game here? Bryz and Mason? Is there more to come?? Only those in Homer's Head really know, I suppose.

I think the interesting part will be how bryz reacts to this? Is the guy going to be deflated and stink? That might be a disaster. I agree this is another Emery-style project. If it is what it is, then we are in for full rebuilt with Meznaros gone on D, Briere bought out, and room even under a reduced salary cap. We may bear witness to a wholesale retooling of the roster over a year or two.

Best,

Howie

They can't be laughing at Homer for trading for Mason. It makes sense. They have no backup and they're probably looking to buyout Bryz after the season. Why not get a mediocre goalie for less than half the price of Bryz and shop around a little in the off season (plenty of capable young RFAs to be found)?

They're laughing at Homer for giving up on Bob and for Signing Bryz to such a huge deal (and that joke is more about the length than the dollar amount as Bryz was making more $ per year as a Coyote).

Or maybe they're laughing at him for trading Bobrovsky for essentially nothing.

Plenty of things to be laughing at Homer for... but the mason trade wouldn't really be on my list.

Flyers are the laughing stock of the Twitterverse over the Mason deal ;) Just another goaltending controversy in Philly.

Just thinking out loud here, the WIld give up a terrific young goalie prospect AND this Larrson kid (dont' know much about him honestly) for Pomminville....who has 25 pts in 35 games, decent production and proven but unspectacular scorer in this league.....we could not beat that? Here we have a legit top notch goale prospect and we can't beat that offer, with all the scoring the Flyers have?? I love Matt Read, love his game and speed, but would Read not be held in higher regard than a Pommnville, whose cap hit is much more than Read...why did the Flyers not get in on this??? Any comments? Just using Read as an example, maybe Harts...whoever....but this really looks like a HUGE missed oppourtunity!!

• Like 2

Just thinking out loud here, the WIld give up a terrific young goalie prospect AND this Larrson kid (dont' know much about him honestly) for Pomminville....who has 25 pts in 35 games, decent production and proven but unspectacular scorer in this league.....we could not beat that? Here we have a legit top notch goale prospect and we can't beat that offer, with all the scoring the Flyers have?? I love Matt Read, love his game and speed, but would Read not be held in higher regard than a Pommnville, whose cap hit is much more than Read...why did the Flyers not get in on this??? Any comments? Just using Read as an example, maybe Harts...whoever....but this really looks like a HUGE missed oppourtunity!!

I wonder if it would be possible to get John Gibson from the Ducks. He was spectacular in the WJC and from what I've been reading has been a standout for Kitchener in the playoffs so far. Yeah, he's from Pittsburgh but that can be cured.

They can't be laughing at Homer for trading for Mason. It makes sense. They have no backup and they're probably looking to buyout Bryz after the season. Why not get a mediocre goalie for less than half the price of Bryz and shop around a little in the off season (plenty of capable young RFAs to be found)?

They're laughing at Homer for giving up on Bob and for Signing Bryz to such a huge deal (and that joke is more about the length than the dollar amount as Bryz was making more $ per year as a Coyote).

Or maybe they're laughing at him for trading Bobrovsky for essentially nothing.

Plenty of things to be laughing at Homer for... but the mason trade wouldn't really be on my list.

That's exactly what I was getting at. They are the laughing stock because the goalie carousel continues. They publicly thrash their goaltending a few years ago, and commit to never letting that happen again. Then they back up the truck and offer Bryz $70M over 9 years to be that guy, without even really creating a competition for the job (Vokoun, anyone?). Why 9 years is beyond me (other than cap circumvention).

Then they trade away the one guy who was young, promising, and showed flashes of brilliance for basically nothing. He's now the starter and Star of the month, and we trade for the guy he unseated, all so we can then buy out our $70M mistake????

Yeah, I'd say we're the laughing stock.

Bobo may have found a home there with clear starting role and less media/fan attention. Mason may find a new home with a good franchise. We give the guy a start and see. I suspect Bryz's ironman role will diminish to give this guy a few starts, especially if playoffs become less likely. Truth be told, I'm happy Cal Heeter is backing up tonight...would almost like to see if our system can generate any f.....(ing goalie...

Peace,

Howie

This team is a train steaming down the tracks without anyone at the controls. I have never been more dissatisfied with how the team is being managed than over the last couple of years. I really am at a loss to know how to figure this mess out.

-not letting Bob grow into a starter by signing a mid range goalie to help the learning curve

-Brz and his contract (WOW)

-extension on Hartnell

-the crap D signings from the off season

-giving Timo another year at $6million

-signing Pronger to that contract OVER the age of 35

I was cool with moving out Richards and Carter to rebuild the team with youth but Homer has completely left that philosophy in the dust with the asinine contracts he has handed out. It is going take a long time to sort this mess out

• Like 3

This team is a train steaming down the tracks without anyone at the controls. I have never been more dissatisfied with how the team is being managed than over the last couple of years. I really am at a loss to know how to figure this mess out.

-not letting Bob grow into a starter by signing a mid range goalie to help the learning curve

-Brz and his contract (WOW)

-extension on Hartnell

-the crap D signings from the off season

-giving Timo another year at $6million

-signing Pronger to that contract OVER the age of 35

I was cool with moving out Richards and Carter to rebuild the team with youth but Homer has completely left that philosophy in the dust with the asinine contracts he has handed out. It is going take a long time to sort this mess out

Completely agree with everything you said.

I would even have been fine with Bryz on a 3 year contract... give Bob time to grow into the starter role. Why did they have to go all thermo-nuclear and sign him until he's 85? We had our starter of the future. Bob. He was it. He was the guy we've all been clamoring for all these years. A talent that the organization found, signed, brought over, and groomed.

The Hartnell extension I've ranted about in another thread. Very poor asset management. Bad bad contract.

And Timo??? Are you kidding me?? He's no Nick Lidstrom. And I understand doing the guy a solid, but he's got all his money from the 6 year contract we gave him. Why not sign at $4M or $3.5M? At his age, it's reasonable. But at least it's just for one year.

The Pronger extension, well, that's just plain incompetence. How it is possible for a multi-billion dollar corporation like Comcast to have that kind of mistake slip by is beyond me.

If I wasn't convinced before, I certainly am now: Homer needs to go. Snider also needs to go, but who controls that? Can anyone fire him? Or is death the only solution?

Can a team not tender it's RFA(Mason), and then resign them when they become a UFA? I'm thinking buyouts here, but I know if you buyout a player, they can't resign with their previous team for 1 year. Not sure if that applies to RFA's...

Anyone, Bueller....

@brelic " Snider also needs to go, but who controls that? Can anyone fire him? Or is death the only solution?"

I've often wondered this myself, never really got a clear definitive answer. Can Lukko fire Snider? How does the hierarcy actually work at Comcast? Sounds like we need aziz here....lol.

@DaGreatGazoo But, Snider does not own Comcast, he is just the chairmen of the Flyers right? Could sombody at Comcast not remove him from that post? Not sure how all this works....

I believe Snider is chairman of Comcast-Spectacor, which is a subsidiary of Comcast. CS owns the Flyers. I'm not sure if Snider owns a controlling interest in CS or not.

BTW...Mason's RFA status may not come into play.

"Holmgren said he has already held discussions with Mason's agent and expects to re-sign him before this season ends."

Why not just sign him to a 7 year deal with a NTC and NMC before he ever plays a single game. It's the Flyer way! It's what we've come to expect!

• Like 1