Of all of Homer's scrap-heap pickups...

jackhole

I posed the same question during game chat a few games ago... no one really seemed enamored with him but I'm really impressed with him. He's obviously not a top dman or anything, but considering how little he played in Detroit... and the shape of this team... I think he's been great.

• Like 2

@caluso I've been really impressed by both Oliver and Gus the past few days. Gus in particular is actually skating the puck out of his own zone, not panicking and tossing it out to center ice, actually skating it out of trouble. Gotta like that, it's a skill the Flyers lost when Carle went UFA. Give me hope for the future seeing Gus lug the puck like that. I want to see Gus get some pp time also, would be nice for his development. It's early, but it appears our rag tag group in the AHL has actually produced some useful d-men......really, reallly nice to see. With the cap going down Oliver and Gus would basically have to play themseleves off next years roster, unless, of course, Homer invests in some stiff UFA's to block their way...have never seen that before :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• Like 1

It's early, but it appears our rag tag group in the AHL has actually produced some useful d-men......

I agree and had it not been for a series of concussion problems Bourdon was on his way too....he may return to form once he takes the rest of the year off...time will tell. Right now he has to get his eyes right that is what is giving him the headaches now...hope he can pull it together not just for hockey but for his life.

Edited by OccamsRazor

@caluso I've been really impressed by both Oliver and Gus the past few days. Gus in particular is actually skating the puck out of his own zone, not panicking and tossing it out to center ice, actually skating it out of trouble. Gotta like that, it's a skill the Flyers lost when Carle went UFA. Give me hope for the future seeing Gus lug the puck like that. I want to see Gus get some pp time also, would be nice for his development. It's early, but it appears our rag tag group in the AHL has actually produced some useful d-men......really, reallly nice to see. With the cap going down Oliver and Gus would basically have to play themseleves off next years roster, unless, of course, Homer invests in some stiff UFA's to block their way...have never seen that before :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

i was actually wondering if we would be better served drafting Valeri Nichushkin than a dman - assuming we can't get jones.

he is a beast! i have no doubt he will be a great player and we could really use another dynamic playmaker. G cant do it alone.

Edited by caluso

@caluso

Nichuskin is signed for 2 more years after this one. That isn't a huge deal, but what if his team offers him a huge contract after that? Or what if he's like 90% of the Russians that come over do squat once they get their contract? Russians just scare the crap out of me when it comes to drafting them.

@caluso

Nichuskin is signed for 2 more years after this one. That isn't a huge deal, but what if his team offers him a huge contract after that? Or what if he's like 90% of the Russians that come over do squat once they get their contract? Russians just scare the crap out of me when it comes to drafting them.

our best player is a CZECH

@caluso

It should be an exciting off-season. Lavy should be gone. And we figure to pick 5 or 6 so we should be able to get a great prospect. Id rather have Nichuskin than Drouin or Mckinnon.

@caluso

I don't see any daylight between this and Homer's typical mindset when it comes to Russians, so I think we're safe. Also, with apologies to any Russian posters, I suspect the whole Bryzgalov experience makes it even less likely that Homer will use a high pick on a Russian.

@caluso

Ya, he's a Czech. And our best defenceman is a Finn. And our most overpaid wackjob nutcase is a Russian. See Yashin, Kozlov, Kovalev, Radulov, Kovalchuk for a lot of years, Ovechkin on and off, Semin, The Kos****yns, Gonchar, Zamnov, Samsonov, Afinagenov, Kovalenko, Zherdev etc etc etc. Notice how the NHL used to draft 40-50 Russians a year and now they draft 10 or less a year? Why do you suppose that is?

@caluso

first off a "czech is our best player" correlates how to draftng a russian player ?

they're all the same ?

i'm trying to think of one russian player that i've seen over the 25+ years that they've been in the league that i would really want on my team and i can think of three, evgeni malkin, pavel datsyuk, and the defensman vladamir konstantinov . Ovechkin , Federov, Nedev, Kovalev,Semin and that douche that played for the flyers two years ago, Zherdev they are all really talented and i'm glad i don't root for the teams they play on because they all float around for significant amounts of time each game, i see you ragging on couterier's effort , i can only imagine the howling once the russian kid reverts to type.

At this moment, I'd be VERY hesitant to draft Nichushkin. Although his stride reminded me of jagr/malkinstein, the whole transfer/khl business scares me. Is he THAT much more impressive than Mckinnon to outweight that risk? Not in my opinion.

@mojo1917 How about Danny Markov?? He gave it all... AND he smoked and drank!

@fishbulb

He sounds like he's going to be a great player. If he comes over. Kovalev might be the most talented player I've ever seen waste his skills in my entire life. Zherdev is up there too. For the small amount in actual players they take up way too large of a percentage of flakes.

@caluso

Ya, he's a Czech. And our best defenceman is a Finn. And our most overpaid wackjob nutcase is a Russian. See Yashin, Kozlov, Kovalev, Radulov, Kovalchuk for a lot of years, Ovechkin on and off, Semin, The Kos****yns, Gonchar, Zamnov, Samsonov, Afinagenov, Kovalenko, Zherdev etc etc etc. Notice how the NHL used to draft 40-50 Russians a year and now they draft 10 or less a year? Why do you suppose that is?

1st - you listed a boatload of Russians in a post and failed to use the word "mercurial". Reported.

2nd - I'd like to add Konstantin Koltsov, Aleksey Morozov and Alek Stojanov to your list.

Carry on.

Edit: Stojanov is a Canadian of Macedonian decent but his last name ends in "-nov" so I am counting him.

Edited by B21
  • Like 1

I'll take Pavel Bure or Alex Mogilny any day of the week. And honestly I'd take Kovalev and Gonchar too. Fedorov as well. There have been some great Russian players in the league, and I consider all of those names some of them.

@Polaris922

There are so many times you see a guy breaking in on a goalie and Gonchar has stopped skating and watches the guy score it's pathetic. And any list of wasted God-given talent that doesn't include Kovalev is just wrong. There's no questioning the skill either of them had. Heart is another thing all together.

@Polaris922

There are so many times you see a guy breaking in on a goalie and Gonchar has stopped skating and watches the guy score it's pathetic. And any list of wasted God-given talent that doesn't include Kovalev is just wrong. There's no questioning the skill either of them had. Heart is another thing all together.

Gonchar wasn't the guy you put on the ice for a shut down defenseman... but there were few d-men in his peak years that could move the puck and shoot it like he did. Kovalev could play keepaway from entire lines locked in a phone booth...

Their issues of effort I won't argue. But I will say they're 75% effort was still better than most other players 110% effort... and they were both big components to winning seasons for various organizations through the years.