Rasmus Ristolainen

brelic

Ok, I'm thinking that Jones and Nurse will be gone by the time we draft. That leaves us with Ristolainen, Zadorov, and Pulock.

The more I read about Ristolainen, the more I think he's exactly what we need.

ISS Top 30 Roundup

#10 Rasmus Ristolainen

Every bit as NHL ready as Jones. Very mature & reliable defender who can do a bit of everything

ISS Top 30 Roundup

#10 Rasmus Ristolainen

Strapping 6’4” & 207lbs D-man. An imposing figure and difficult to play against.

Here are the others.

#12 Ryan Pulock @rpulock2

Has won a lot of fans in scouting world this year. Last chance to show what he's all about.

#7 Nikita Zadarov @zadorov61

Continues to win fans. Great size, moves well, loves to play the body & has monster shot.

I see pulock going somewhere around pick 20. To grab him at say 8 would be a waste of a pick. The others you have mentioned are going to be great players and will be around at our pick except nurse and jones.

If we pick 8th, and Nurse and Jones are off the board, but Risto is still there, do you pick Risto (ranked 10th), or do you pick Lindholm (8th, C), or Monahan (9th, C)?

RR seems to be the guy I hope falls to us. I have a hard time getting excited over someone I never get to see play but he sounds like a gamer. I also am having a hard time getting excited after it looked like we were going to have to take what was left over from Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin and Nurse and now we're looking at picking 8-11.

• Like 1

RR seems to be the guy I hope falls to us. I have a hard time getting excited over someone I never get to see play but he sounds like a gamer. I also am having a hard time getting excited after it looked like we were going to have to take what was left over from Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichushkin and Nurse and now we're looking at picking 8-11.

If I know the Flyers, they will draft Monahan for two reasons: a) because he's a center, and b) because he's North American. That's how they roll.

Does anyone have any more info Risto? strength/weaknesses, basically looking for a scouting report on the guy. Is he soft, Pitkanen 2.0?

He's not soft at all. He uses his size, and is very mobile.

He's being touted as the European Seth Jones: http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/16/is-rasmus-ristolainen-the-european-seth-jones/

Big, mean and Physical. Normally these are words one uses when describing a player from either Canada or the United States. However, for Finnish defensive prospect Rasmus Ristolainen these are the qualities that make him one of the best defensive prospect in the upcoming draft. In fact, many are comparing the game of Ristolainen to the consensus number one overall Seth Jones.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison at all, but I do see similarities in playmaking and skating ability. Seth Jones is a much better two-way player than Ristolainen in my opinion. At 6’3 210 pounds, scouts are salivating over Ristolainen who plays for TPS Turku in the highly competitive Finnish elite league. He’s a calm player with a good two-way ability and he plays beyond his years given his late ’94 birthdate. He moves the puck well and he’s quite mobile given his size. Ristolainen’s strength comes in his defensive game. He utilizes his strength, and positioning, and his long reach to his advantage. He’s not the biggest hitter in the draft, but he plays the body and likes to get physical in front of the net, which is not traditionally the Finnish style of playing hockey.

In 52 games with TPS this year, Ristolainen put up 3 goals, and 12 assists for 15 points. Ristolainen had a good showing in Ufa at the World Juniors having 2 goals and 4 assists in 6 games played. The one thing I would like to see Ristolainen use more of is his cannon of a shot. He seems to shy away from using it and rather set up his teammates with his quick on-the-tape passes. In fact, he also has a pretty good shootout move as well.

International scouting services has Ristolanien ranked 11th overall among all skaters. TSN and NHL network’s Craig Button, who seems to be off the wall with some his rankings, has Ristolainen 20th overall among all skaters.

I can see someone falling in love with Ristolainen and taking him top 5, however he’s most likely to go in the 6-15 range. Since the Philadelphia Flyers and Paul Holmgren are most likely going to miss out on the Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, and Alexsander Barkov sweepstakes, they would be wise to give Ristolainen a look.

The Flyers don’t have the greatest success in drafting defenseman in the first round. The last time the Flyers drafted a blue liner in the first round was Luca Sbisa (19th overall in 2008). However, Sbisa was dealt a few years later in the Chris Pronger trade.

The last time the Flyers drafted a Finnish defenseman in the first round was Joni Pitkanen number 4 overall back in 2002. Pitkanen was a solid defenseman for the Flyers who showed flashes of brilliance over his three year career with the Flyers, but he never quite seemed to live up to all the potential.

Ristolainen compares to Pitkanen in his skating and puck moving, but hands down more of a physical player. Pitkanen is a soft player. I’m not even going to mention the Jeff Woywitka selection at number 27 overall back in 2001 when the likes of Derek Roy, Jason Pominville, Fedor Tyutin, and Tomas Plekanec were still on the board.

Drafting Ristolainen would instantly help the Flyers prospect pool, which is widely considered one of the weakest in the league, and would give the Flyers a stud defensive prospect to go alongside Union College’s Shayne Gostisbehere (78th overall, ’12). Overall, this big rangy defenseman is the complete package and can play any style or role. He’s at his best when he’s picking his spots offensively and has an edgy side. He doesn’t wow you, but he has all the tools to be solid NHLer for years to come.

If I know the Flyers, they will draft Monahan for two reasons: a) because he's a center, and b) because he's North American. That's how they roll.

Yea, I agree. I'm already dreading it. I've mentioned this same thing in various posts.I have a VERY bad feeling that Homer is going to draft Sean Monahan. I don't know why and can't provide a valid argument for it.....It's just a bad bad feeling.

Yea, I agree. I'm already dreading it. I've mentioned this same thing in various posts.I have a VERY bad feeling that Homer is going to draft Sean Monahan. I don't know why and can't provide a valid argument for it.....It's just a bad bad feeling.

We've bypassed defensemen twice in a row now... may as well make it a perfect 3! :wacko:

@brelic

Ya but there was a center available.

I really wanted Maata and Hamilton. The more I see of Laughton the more I agree with Homer. I also understand why he took Couturier. But unless his name is MacKinnon or barkov he'd better not take another C.

If Risto and Zadorov are available when we pick. Who would you guys prefer and why?

I've been leaning towards Risto, but I've heard more about Zadorov lately which makes me think he'd be fine too. I think the feeling is that he has huge potential but is more raw, especially his offensive game. It seems to be expected that next season he will be given more of an offensive role, this season he apparently (from what I've read on hfboards) specifically requested a more defensive role to work on that part of his game.

Sounds like Zadorov will need another year in junior while Risto may be NHL ready next year. I think I'd be ok with either although I guess I'd still lean towards Risto.

Ristolainen is prolly nhl ready now. I'd take him if nurse isn't available. I would love for philly to get another late 1st round pick. Like around 22 or so. Josh morrissey is prolly going to be there. Maybe Haag or pulock. All fit different needs for us.

Ristolainen is prolly nhl ready now.

All the more reason not to take him... D men need time to mature and bringing them into the NHL too quickly can ruin them.

Personally I would be very happy with Zadorov myself, his physicality and cannon of a shot could be very useful to us in a couple of years.

That said, I have nothing against Rasmus, he would also be a great D man for us.

Whether Homer has the wit to recognise this is entirely another matter...

If Risto and Zadorov are available when we pick. Who would you guys prefer and why?

I would go with Risto based on Brelic's write-up. We desparately need a solid defenseman and he sounds like he'll fit the bill and be the defenseman we need - and given that the others will have gone earlier in the draft, it sounds like he'll be the best remaining choice. We've had some decent luck with Finns, to boot - look at Timmonen. Risto gets my vote.

If we pick 8th, and Nurse and Jones are off the board, but Risto is still there, do you pick Risto

You you take Rasmus!!!!

He is a RH shot too...scroll back back the shout to 10 am yesterday and it's exactly who i feel they may land...in a couple years he'll be ready.

If not sooner...

....hands ain't to shabby for a defenCeman!!!!!!!!!

Edited by OccamsRazor

Nice shootout goal.

I was under the impression that Ristolainen had a pretty decent offensive game, but after reading some of the scouting reports, it doesn't seem to be the case. I mean, not that it's bad or anything, but that's really not his strength.

@brelic Thanks for posting that Bre, wanted to see highlights of R.R. Looks like a smooth skater, very fluid strides, which is nice to see, most big dmen are kinda awkward cause they have not grown into their bodies yet. Really hard to intelligently comment having only seen those brief clips, but my gut tells me he fits more needs than Zhadrov. Forget who mentioned it, but I agreed when they said Zhadrov is kinda like a Luke Schenn with better wheels. Risto could be the heir apparent to Kimo someday, and I don't view Zhadrov as a top line pp qb in the bigs. Would love to see a bit more of R.R, but he he seems to fill more needs that Zhadrov.

nice to see R.R's big, mobile with a mean streak, throw in the offensive upside and I'd be happy to hear the Flyers call his name.....but still PISSED all this lame winning has taken us away from the true franchise players. They should have sent Mason down, give him some AHL time (not that he deserved it mind you)....but starting Bryz could have gotten us top 5, with *that* much at stake, it was the right thing to do. I still belive the top 3 are generational talents that will rip this league.....geez, what a waste.