The Other Way To Move Up In The Draft

radoran

So, suppose the team finishes with, say, the 8th overall pick - as has been speculated.

Does that pick plus, say, Couturier get them enough to move up to take a Nurse, assuming Jones at #1?

This will be a much better thread once the draft order is known, but - assuming they don't win the lottery - what do you think it would take to move up? And, is it worth it?

Worth it? Depends on package and available prospects on the board. Coots plus our 1st to move up three or four picks to take nurse is not worth is. I want nurse. However,there are still plenty of highly rated defensive prospects in this draft and will be available at eight and even at ten. I trade nothing to move up unless its our first and third to move up a few spots. Stand pat and gather our prospects.

And there are lots of questions in this draft when it comes to needs on teams. Florida? Needs are at forward not defense. Aves needs are at forward and defense. Flames I would assume center is a big need. Nashville is at forward. Edmonton is at defense. Tampa is at forward and defense. Carolina is at forward. Flyers need defense. So if teams go by only team needs combined with best available prospect at that need I come up with two defenseman off the board when our pick comes around.

Worth it? Depends on package and available prospects on the board. Coots plus our 1st to move up three or four picks to take nurse is not worth is. I want nurse. However,there are still plenty of highly rated defensive prospects in this draft and will be available at eight and even at ten. I trade nothing to move up unless its our first and third to move up a few spots. Stand pat and gather our prospects.

OK, first and a third. I'd do first and third. Depends on the partner.

I'd ask about a second, but there's little chance they have any of those. :ph34r:

Would Couturier and your first and third get you Jones?

@DaGreatGazoo

I don't think Laughton has the potential a lot of Flyers faithful see. I give him third line duties At best if he breaks the lineup. I wouldn't go for that in Florida, as they're much more common pieces than a potential game breaker. Florida probably wants MacKinnin or Drouin.

I wasn't overvaluing him..he is however, a former first round pick-like him or not-, but at this point he's nothing but potential. Most people I've read, and not just Philly writers, think he's NHL ready. So FLA still gets a former first, moves down a few spots and also gets a 3rd. In theory, it could net them 2-3 players for next years roster, depending on how they play it. .

Just to play devils advocate.--you aren't very high on Coots either, so why do you think Coots gets it done-- I mean, he didn't even shut down Malkin in the playoffs last year according to you and B21. ;)

I don't think the Panthers trade that pick unless it's for a king's ransom, personally.

I wasn't overvaluing him..he is however, a former first round pick-like him or not-, but at this point he's nothing but potential. Most people I've read, and not just Philly writers, think he's NHL ready. So FLA still gets a former first, moves down a few spots and also gets a 3rd. In theory, it could net them 2-3 players for next years roster, depending on how they play it. .

Just to play devils advocate.--you aren't very high on Coots either, so why do you think Coots gets it done-- I mean, he didn't even shut down Malkin in the playoffs last year according to you and B21. ;)

I don't think the Panthers trade that pick unless it's for a king's ransom, personally.

Until this season, Couturier showed potential to be a second line center in my opinion. I'm not going to think differently because of a bad sophomore year at his age. I actually think less of his defense last year and more of his offensive potential because he seems to have good vision.

Laughton I think is a nobody drafted way too early. Third line centers are not AS hard to come by and if Laughton gets beyond that I think it'll have to be on a depleted offensive team. I think he has heart, yes... But was not impressed skill wise. Granted he's young and may develop yet, I just didn't see anything to rave about. And he seems to have a discipline problem.

The Panthers don't need a third line center. They already have a few of those, and if they can get Couturier and still have a shot at a game breaking forward they may take it.

Edited by Polaris922

Third line centers are not AS hard to come by and if Laughton gets beyond that I think it'll have to be on a depleted offensive team.

I think many people would have said the same thing about Kunitz years ago. (referring to how he has worked his way up to being a top line forward, not necessarily the players position on the ice.) You never know what a player will develop into until you get him some minutes and some talent to play with to build his confidence. Kunitz is now playing at a level of 1st or 2nd line forward, irrespective of who is on his line.

Maybe I am in the minority, but I think the Flyers land 6th over all, and in my opinion Nurse will still be on the board.

But if they trade up, I think a team needing grit would take Talbot and the Flyers 1st to slide into a better position. No way they break top 5 though. Not unless it's Schenn or Simmonds traded with the pick.

Now with that said, I like Talbot and what he brings to the team, so I personally wouldn't trade him and a 1st just to move up a spot or two. Again, I think they lose out and Calgary wins against Nashville. If that happens, it pretty much seals the Flyers in at the 6th spot. Still a good chance of landing Nurse.

If not Zadorov will probably still be on the board.

So, suppose the team finishes with, say, the 8th overall pick - as has been speculated.

Does that pick plus, say, Couturier get them enough to move up to take a Nurse, assuming Jones at #1?

This will be a much better thread once the draft order is known, but - assuming they don't win the lottery - what do you think it would take to move up? And, is it worth it?

I think Couturier and our 1st would be enough to get us 1st overall, depending on who finishes last and their need.

Laughton I think is a nobody drafted way too early. Third line centers are not AS hard to come by and if Laughton gets beyond that I think it'll have to be on a depleted offensive team. I think he has heart, yes... But was not impressed skill wise. Granted he's young and may develop yet, I just didn't see anything to rave about. And he seems to have a discipline problem.

You think Laughton is a nobody drafted too early? How many times have you seen Laughton play? Once? Twice? As an 18 year old in the NHL? What are you comparing him to, Mario and Crosby? Cause in the games I've seen him in he looks to be a great OHLer (I'd say he was the Gens best player this year considering he missed almost 20 games)and he seemed to fit in the NHL quite nicely as an 18 year old PLAYING FIVE GAMES.

@trevluk

Kunitz went undrafted. And if you're going to compare him to Laughton as he was back then, all the more reason Florida doesn't make that trade.

@DaGreatGazoo

I thought you were seriously asking! Lol

I think you missed my point. I just think it is early to be evaluating Laughton's ceiling. But ur right, if I'm Florida I dont do that trade.

You think Laughton is a nobody drafted too early? How many times have you seen Laughton play? Once? Twice? As an 18 year old in the NHL? What are you comparing him to, Mario and Crosby? Cause in the games I've seen him in he looks to be a great OHLer (I'd say he was the Gens best player this year considering he missed almost 20 games)and he seemed to fit in the NHL quite nicely as an 18 year old PLAYING FIVE GAMES.

I thought he was a fourth line maybe in your lineup when he was up. He did nothing that impressed me. I think Holmgren screwed the pooch in your draft and missed an opportunity for quality defensemen which are much harder to come by. I think Laughton's ceiling from what I saw and what few video clips and scouting reports were available at the time is third line, which are mostly interchangeable nobody's in the NHL. A few excel and get note, but that's too early to tell in Laughton. The only thing I've heard anyone say about him since is he plays hard nose hockey, but doesnt seem to grasp where the line is before crossing it yet. What I saw this season leads me to think that if Florida were considering surrendering a shot at McKinnon or Drouin... Or Jones or Nurse... Laughton is a nobody. A non-factor. Not someone they would consider noteworthy enough to prompt trading that pick.

I think you missed my point. I just think it is early to be evaluating Laughton's ceiling. But ur right, if I'm Florida I dont do that trade.

I'm not arguing the kid could turn it up and develop into something good. I'm just saying that so far there are no signs of anything more than a third liner. If that changes then good for you guys, but I can only go by what little I've seen and read. And right now he's nobody to even consider in a trade for what could be McKinnon or Drouin... Or a couple others out of this draft. Florida has first overall in a quality draft class.

I'm not arguing the kid could turn it up and develop into something good. I'm just saying that so far there are no signs of anything more than a third liner. If that changes then good for you guys, but I can only go by what little I've seen and read. And right now he's nobody to even consider in a trade for what could be McKinnon or Drouin... Or a couple others out of this draft. Florida has first overall in a quality draft class.

Fair enough. I think those of us who have seen a bit of Laughton (not that I've followed him for very long) have seen a lot of potential in skill development to go along with a ton of heart.

@Polaris922

Well as a "plumber" Laughton put up close to 2 points a game in the postseason for the Generals. Maatta on a stacked Knights team is putting up half the points in double the games. And he's supposed to be offensively gifted. I know ones a D and the others a forward. Ones also on a stacked team and the other carried the team on his back. When several scouts call him "the best player in the OHL" I think he has more going for him than you're giving him credit for.

On the other hand he is hardly a centerpiece in a trade for the top pick. And neither is Maatta.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1