Ok, so down 2-0, what do YOU do?

trevluk

I thought this was a pretty telling blurb from a Pens blogger on LeTang's defensive woes:

"Kris Letang’s stock has taken a hit like Eastman Kodak’s in the postseason. He’ll never be confused for a disciplined defenseman, but c’mon, the NHL playoffs are not pond hockey. Blind passes, turnovers, you name it, Letang’s done it. It used to be the good far outweighed the bad with the blueliner. That hasn’t been the case in the postseason."

I thought this was a pretty telling blurb from a Pens blogger on LeTang's defensive woes:

"Kris Letang’s stock has taken a hit like Eastman Kodak’s in the postseason. He’ll never be confused for a disciplined defenseman, but c’mon, the NHL playoffs are not pond hockey. Blind passes, turnovers, you name it, Letang’s done it. It used to be the good far outweighed the bad with the blueliner. That hasn’t been the case in the postseason."

He forgot "again" in his last sentence.

He's no Kimmo Timonen, that's for sure.

:D

@flyercanuck

@murraycraven

Just wondering (real question) but what are you basing your comments on (spoiled brat, elitist, entitled, etc)?

"Elistist" was Polaris' word. Would you really argue that Crosby isn't a spoiled brat, and is the whiniest person in the NHL since Lindy Ruff? He goes after Rask after the period is over because...? He knows Rask won't fight him. Trying to get into his head in between whistles is one thing, slightly after the whistle another thing, but after the horn?!? Who is really in who's head...

Crosby has come by his leaguewide reputation as a whiny diver honestly. Embrace it - he does.

• Like 1

I just wish we'd seen the Pens effort in game 2 instead of waiting to wake up till half way through game 3!

Sucks to get Crosbied with Jagr hooking Malkenstein on the GWer turnover huh...ya'll ain't get the calls you use to get, now there were many non calls in this game IMHO but to lose like that...

...has the Flower played his last game in Pitt?????

Edited by OccamsRazor

@B21

The way he's acted over his career. I love the guys skill. I love his dedication to the game. But he was handed the keys to the league before ever playing a single game (not his fault) and has acted like he deserves special treatment ever since.

I know you won't agree, but you asked.

• Like 3

I said elitist referring to the Pens entering this series expecting to win regardless of effort. I don't agree with spoiled brat crap and all that, I just think the Pens got soft by wading through Ottawa, and just expected everything to flow. They really dominated game 3 because they played desperate. Niskanen and Letang failed to communicate, then Krecji shoots at Niskanen's skate and the fortuitous bounce results in Boston's first goal. I really don't fault anyone for that, and the Pens really clamped down to what could have been a 1-0 win. And Crosby has one of the best work ethics on the world. He seemed to be himself half way through this game... Guess we'll find out!

If they play that way the remainder of the series they just might make history. Rask will have to match this performance to close this series out.

• Like 1

"Elistist" was Polaris' word. Would you really argue that Crosby isn't a spoiled brat, and is the whiniest person in the NHL since Lindy Ruff? He goes after Rask after the period is over because...? He knows Rask won't fight him. Trying to get into his head in between whistles is one thing, slightly after the whistle another thing, but after the horn?!? Who is really in who's head...

Crosby has come by his leaguewide reputation as a whiny diver honestly. Embrace it - he does.

How does the confrontation with Rask equate to "spoiled" and "whiney"?

Unless he was telling Tukka to let a few in because he's Crosby - I don't see it. Again - literally making things up. It's never enough to hate the guy because he's good and plays for a rival.

@B21

The way he's acted over his career. I love the guys skill. I love his dedication to the game. But he was handed the keys to the league before ever playing a single game (not his fault) and has acted like he deserves special treatment ever since.

I know you won't agree, but you asked.

Fine. Give me an example of how he has acted like he deserves special treatment.

And barking at the refs is not acting like one deserves special treatment. Aside from "I don't like them" his interviews are boring and cliche filled. He has a low profile off the ice. So what then?

I'll agree if you convince me.

I said elitist referring to the Pens entering this series expecting to win regardless of effort. I don't agree with spoiled brat crap and all that, I just think the Pens got soft by wading through Ottawa, and just expected everything to flow. They really dominated game 3 because they played desperate. Niskanen and Letang failed to communicate, then Krecji shoots at Niskanen's skate and the fortuitous bounce results in Boston's first goal. I really don't fault anyone for that, and the Pens really clamped down to what could have been a 1-0 win. And Crosby has one of the best work ethics on the world. He seemed to be himself half way through this game... Guess we'll find out!

Doesn't that reflect 100% onto the leadership of the team and point to an "entitlement" mindset? "Expected everything to flow" seems to me to be a sense of entitlement to "flow" if nothing else. There is no way ANY team should be going into a Conference Final "expecting everything to flow." Hard work, all the time - that's how you win in the playoffs.

Relying on scoring one goal is not a recipie for success in the playoffs. Honestly, if the Pens are the offensive juggernaut they appear to be on paper, scoring one goal in a playoff game down 2-0 isn't something to write home about. And "playing better" doesn't mean Jack Schitt if you don't score.

Doesn't that reflect 100% onto the leadership of the team and point to an "entitlement" mindset? "Expected everything to flow" seems to me to be a sense of entitlement to "flow" if nothing else. There is no way ANY team should be going into a Conference Final "expecting everything to flow." Hard work, all the time - that's how you win in the playoffs.

Relying on scoring one goal is not a recipie for success in the playoffs. Honestly, if the Pens are the offensive juggernaut they appear to be on paper, scoring one goal in a playoff game down 2-0 isn't something to write home about. And "playing better" doesn't mean Jack Schitt if you don't score.

I think the entire team has been a let down. They only started to perform last night for the first time in the series. I blame it on them all. I'm a personal accountability kind of guy. Each is responsible from the top on down.

Sucks to get Crosbied with Jagr hooking Malkenstein on the GWer turnover huh...ya'll ain't get the calls you use to get, now there were many non calls in this game IMHO but to lose like that...

...has the Flower played his last game in Pitt?????

Crosbied? We get and don't get the same calls we've ever gotten. We thrive and suffer the same as every other team in the league... On the whims of a zebra. I don't mind the hook as much as I mind Malkin not passing the puck.

As for Fleury... It sure seems that way.

Fine. Give me an example of how he has acted like he deserves special treatment.

And barking at the refs is not acting like one deserves special treatment. Aside from "I don't like them" his interviews are boring and cliche filled. He has a low profile off the ice. So what then?

I'll agree if you convince me.

I'll never convince you, but here goes...

crosby_whining.jpg

I think the entire team has been a let down. They only started to perform last night for the first time in the series. I blame it on them all. I'm a personal accountability kind of guy. Each is responsible from the top on down.

When "leaders" get credit for success, they also need to take responsibility when there is failure.

A good leader has his team ready to play. A team in the playoffs should never go into a series comfortable. Never.

• Like 1

Ah, the hate . . . breath it in. . . gotta love it. I was out of town and out of touch for a few days, boy I missed the intelligent banter. Could someone tell me when its going to start again?

Yep the Pens are down 3-0. Bruins are playing fantastic.

The whole whining argument with the Rask thing simply makes me laugh, really hard by the way, please keep mentioning it. Its such a non issue its unreal. Its another case of the haters blowing something sooooo out of proportion. Years from now we'll be hearing about the vicious crosscheck Crosby gave Rask as he was going down the runway, heck, maybe by then it will be on the way to the parking lot after the game.

Someone else already pointed out the Rask thing but ill say it again. As Crosby skated past Rask, Rask pulls at one of his shins with his goalie stick as Sid skates by and that starts the whole sequence. Even the NBC morons comment on it as why Sid turns back to Rask.

Someone else already pointed out the Rask thing but ill say it again. As Crosby skated past Rask, Rask pulls at one of his shins with his goalie stick as Sid skates by and that starts the whole sequence. Even the NBC morons comment on it as why Sid turns back to Rask.

Yep, that's how Pens fans always see it. Here's the reality, Crosby skates by Rask and gives him a little elbow. Nothing vicious, but an elbow. Rask tugs at Crosby with his stick. Nothing vicious, just a tug. Then Crosby gives him the "WTF?" and a crosscheck. Again, nothing vicious. It's not a big deal, but Crosby started the whole thing, not Rask. And it's him trying to be something he's not (tough) that''s got him off his game.

Edited by flyercanuck

Yep, that's how Pens fans always see it. Here's the reality, Crosby skates by Rask and gives him a little elbow. Nothing vicious, but an elbow. Rask tugs at Crosby with his stick. Nothing vicious, just a tug. Then Crosby gives him the "WTF?" and a crosscheck. Again, nothing vicious. It's not a big deal, but Crosby started the whole thing, not Rask. And it's him trying to be something he's not (tough) that''s got him off his game.

No, I think we're all seeing the same video, its just the spin on it.

Here, I'll give it a try, tell me what you think.

<Reality off>

Crosby, going towards a confrontation at center ice, ignores a clear red light at the center ice intersections, cuts in front of Rask and gives Rask a vicious elbow

to the chest that had to hurt more than the typical 95 mile/hr slap shot with a frozen rubber puck. Rask, falling

off balance due to the complete cheapshot by Crosby, accidently touches Crosby's leg with the end of his stick.

Crosby, being the dive artist that he is, tries to draw a penalty by stumbling.

Seeing that no penalty is going to be called, CryBaby Crosby then tries to break Rask's arm with a leaping crosscheck to the arm and

skates away with Rask writhing on the ice while yelling "Hey I'm Sidney Crosby, You can't do that to me!".

There, was that interpretation better?

<Reality back on>

But really, I won't disagree with your view of it. Crosby bumps him going by, didn't have to. But for people to say that it was an attempt to

intimidate Rask and throw him off his game? Really? With THAT? As you said, it was a lot of nothings. But here we are a week later

and people are still talking about it. With all crosschecks, slashes, facewashes . . . that go on during the playoffs between whistles

and after horns this is what we are talking about.

Here's a what if. What if you could not see the play, and could only read all the web accounts of it for the last week. Finally, at long

last, you can finally see a video of it. Do you think that it would live up to what you read about? I think most people would continue to

search YouTube because they couldn't believe THIS was what every one was talking about.

Edited by nossagog

I'll never convince you, but here goes...

crosby_whining.jpg

Yeah - ha ha. Funny photo. ;)

Any examples? I'l give you swatting Voracek's glove away but even that....meh. Who cares. Clarkie does that an he's a legend. But I'll give it to you. That's one.

Anything else?

Don't be the "Fat Girl", FC. The "Fat Girl" is that 18-25 year old hefer who became a Bruins fan after their Cup run (and because Bergeron is wicked hot) who, if asked, will tell you Crosby whines and dives..not because she has hockey knowledge but because her boyfriend, Sully, said so one night while they were enjoying a date night over a wheel and some Sam Adams (she wore her Bergeron jersey that night; looked about 3 sizes to small). Sully knows Crosby dives because his boys, Petey and Schmiddy, said so...during daaaart night over some Sam Adams and a wheel. Of course, the "Fat Girl", Sully, Petey and Schmiddy don't know Bobby Orr from iron ore and think "Cam Neeley" is an car engine paaaart.

So....don't be the fat girl. Give me something. ;)

No, I think we're all seeing the same video, its just the spin on it.

Here, I'll give it a try, tell me what you think.

<Reality off>

Crosby, going towards a confrontation at center ice, ignores a clear red light at the center ice intersections, cuts in front of Rask and gives Rask a vicious elbow

to the chest that had to hurt more than the typical 95 mile/hr slap shot with a frozen rubber puck. Rask, falling

off balance due to the complete cheapshot by Crosby, accidently touches Crosby's leg with the end of his stick.

Crosby, being the dive artist that he is, tries to draw a penalty by stumbling.

Seeing that no penalty is going to be called, CryBaby Crosby then tries to break Rask's arm with a leaping crosscheck to the arm and

skates away with Rask writhing on the ice while yelling "Hey I'm Sidney Crosby, You can't do that to me!".

There, was that interpretation better?

<Reality back on>

But really, I won't disagree with your view of it. Crosby bumps him going by, didn't have to. But for people to say that it was an attempt to

intimidate Rask and throw him off his game? Really? With THAT? As you said, it was a lot of nothings. But here we are a week later

and people are still talking about it. With all crosschecks, slashes, facewashes . . . that go on during the playoffs between whistles

and after horns this is what we are talking about.

Here's a what if. What if you could not see the play, and could only read all the web accounts of it for the last week. Finally, at long

last, you can finally see a video of it. Do you think that it would live up to what you read about? I think most people would continue to

search YouTube because they couldn't believe THIS was what every one was talking about.

This. Bingo.

And if it was an attempt to get him of his game....well....duh! Good!

Yeah - ha ha. Funny photo. ;)

Any examples? I'l give you swatting Voracek's glove away but even that....meh. Who cares. Clarkie does that an he's a legend. But I'll give it to you. That's one.

Anything else?

Don't be the "Fat Girl", FC. The "Fat Girl" is that 18-25 year old hefer who became a Bruins fan after their Cup run (and because Bergeron is wicked hot) who, if asked, will tell you Crosby whines and dives..not because she has hockey knowledge but because her boyfriend, Sully, said so one night while they were enjoying a date night over a wheel and some Sam Adams (she wore her Bergeron jersey that night; looked about 3 sizes to small). Sully knows Crosby dives because his boys, Petey and Schmiddy, said so...during daaaart night over some Sam Adams and a wheel. Of course, the "Fat Girl", Sully, Petey and Schmiddy don't know Bobby Orr from iron ore and think "Cam Neeley" is an car engine paaaart.

So....don't be the fat girl. Give me something. ;)

But But But . . . Didn't you see, before that face off, Crosby opened up his mouth and said something. OBVIOUSLY he was whining to the official, we all know that as fact.

And did you see, when he was hit there and fell down on the ice, it had NOTHING to do with the actual hit, it OBVIOUSLY was a dive because we all know he does that all the time.

Oh, and that penalty on him, OBVIOUSLY is was so undisciplined because he is such a baby, we ALL know that too.

And in the end they lost the game, so OBVIOUSLY its a failure of his leadership skills.

The Fan boys give him all the credit and none of the blame, the haters give him all of the blame and not of the credit. Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.

But But But . . . Didn't you see, before that face off, Crosby opened up his mouth and said something. OBVIOUSLY he was whining to the official, we all know that as fact.

And did you see, when he was hit there and fell down on the ice, it had NOTHING to do with the actual hit, it OBVIOUSLY was a dive because we all know he does that all the time.

Oh, and that penalty on him, OBVIOUSLY is was so undisciplined because he is such a baby, we ALL know that too.

And in the end they lost the game, so OBVIOUSLY its a failure of his leadership skills.

The Fan boys give him all the credit and none of the blame, the haters give him all of the blame and not of the credit. Somewhere there has to be a happy medium.

I'm convinced now more than ever that this all goes back to the Hatcher game and the haters just won't let it go.