Ok, so down 2-0, what do YOU do?

trevluk

Ok, so the Pens are down 2-0, not the end of the world as a Pens fan but definitely reason for concern. (For the record, I could see the Pens winning 2 in Boston) Anyhow, in my opinion there are 2 ways to look at the situation the Pens are in right now.

1. The Pens players arent playing their system well and the players the themselves are playing poorly with not enough effort.

2.The Pens players are playing with plenty of effort and trying to apply their system but the Bruins are neutralizing the Pens system and Dan Bylsma has to make adjustments.

I have not seen enough of thegames to make an asessment of the Pens effort myself but I would be surprised if #1 was the case and would guess that it more comes down to adjusting the game plan to fully utilize the all star talent on the Pens roster and beat the Bruins at their own game.

So if you are Bylsma, what adjustments do you make and who do you start in goal??

I would think after Fluery's soft goals you have to go back to Vokoun. Vokoun was hung out to dry for the first 3 goals by a lack of defensive play. The 4th goal was just plain awesome passing by da broons. Vokoun deserves about as much credit for that loss as a 10 year old blind quadriplegic dressed to play goal against a NHL team. Right now, Vokoun is the best chance for the Pens to turn this around. Fluery's confidence is absolutely shattered. He looks positively Bryzgalov-like in goal right now. Neither goalie will stand a snowball's chance in hell without the team at least making a token attempt at playing defense instead of trying to prove you are the more physical team by ignoring defense and going for the big hit.

@flyerrod... I agree about Vokoun. after Fluery gave up that first goal I would put Vokoun back in there for game 3. I still think Bylsma is a good coach but he can not adjust during the game very well. Additionally the star players need to start playing like stars - LeWang, Cindy, Malkenstein, etc... they are simply not getting the job done.

the Bruins are playing tough and it is going to be tough for the Pens to get back in this series if they keep playing like they have been.

Ok, so the Pens are down 2-0, not the end of the world as a Pens fan but definitely reason for concern. (For the record, I could see the Pens winning 2 in Boston) Anyhow, in my opinion there are 2 ways to look at the situation the Pens are in right now.

1. The Pens players arent playing their system well and the players the themselves are playing poorly with not enough effort.

2.The Pens players are playing with plenty of effort and trying to apply their system but the Bruins are neutralizing the Pens system and Dan Bylsma has to make adjustments.

I have not seen enough of thegames to make an asessment of the Pens effort myself but I would be surprised if #1 was the case and would guess that it more comes down to adjusting the game plan to fully utilize the all star talent on the Pens roster and beat the Bruins at their own game.

So if you are Bylsma, what adjustments do you make and who do you start in goal??

1.) I stick with Vokoun. Not even a question. @flyerrod is right. That game was not on Vokoun at all.

2.) I put Iginla back on the RW...Iginla/Crosby/Dupuis then Neal/Malkin/Kunitz. I reunite Kennedy/Sutter/Cooke. Finally, Morrow/Adams/Jokkinen. Jokkinen for faceoffs. Otherwise, I'd go with Vitale. If these whispers that Crosby is dictaticng the lines - too bad, Sid.

3.) No more defensive pairings of pylons....i.e. - Engelland and Murray. Enough. I put Letang back with Orpik. Letang is what he is. Orpik is better 'protection' than Niskanen. Play Niskanen with Martin. Murray and Depres. Yes, Depres.

@trevluk

Both 1 and 2. Unfortunately, a lot more 1.

I don't think there is a whole lot they *can* do at this point. Boston is a strong team and, frankly, I can't say I am that surprised by the outcome so far. The Boston played perfect two road games and Julien seemed to studied Pittsburgh's weaknesses to a T. The Pens are in trouble in a major way. If they get in a 1-3 hole, I would say they are done. And the only way to prevent that is to win both games in Boston, which isn't happening... I don't think.

• Like 1

I tell them every team faces adversity, the great ones can overcome it ,i ask them what kind of team are they ?

I coach my team up, i tell them, "play with energy but don't forget to play hockey". On the forecheck i leave a forward back to try to pick off the cross ice pass that the B's use to clear the zone, that's happened about 25 times in the first two games... the three Pens forwards are along the boards a Bruin wins the puck battle and has an easy pass and skate out of the defensive zone. I tell the other two, you need to win the battle for the puck.

I tell them that after they make a hit to keep playing hockey because the Bruins are making the hockey play regardless of whether we hit them or not.

I go back to Vokun.

I tell Malkin to back check and then ask him how he'd like to center Vitale and Adams if he doesn't.

No more Engellend, I need speed and skill.

To me this particular group of Pens players doesn't handle adversity well , they played that first period of game one exactly the way they wanted to and were down 1-0 at the end of it, then they lost their composure when the result didn't change after the 2nd period as the Bruins adjusted and began to play their game, which is defense oriented and physical . I think when a team takes a hit to make a play and has the skill to make the play the Pens don't know what to do, when you then hit them back they lose their composure, and we get the crazy crap after the whistle.

the series is far from over; the Pens have a boatload of talent, so i'm not going to be all hahahaha at our Pgh brethren; but the Bruins are deep ,good and tough and were going to be a tough test, to expect them to lay down or the Pens to mow them over was foolhardy. the Bruins make you beat them, it can be done, can the Pens figure out how is the question.

• Like 1

If these whispers that Crosby is dictaticng the lines - too bad, Sid

-- is this true? I did not hear thatSid might be dictating the lines... if that is the case there is a bigger problem in that organization. You cant let the tail wag the dog and Bylsma needs to step up and be a Coach and not a babysitter for Sid.

Edited by murraycraven

-- is this true? I did not hear thatSid might be dictating the lines... if that is the case there is a bigger problem in that organization. You cant let the tail wag the dog and Bylsma needs to step up and be a Coach and not a babysitter for Sid.

One of the hosts on Pittsburgh's sports talk radio hosts mentioned it this morning. He doesn't have inside scoop or anything tangible and he's not a Pens beat guy. I think it just came from the general knowledge that Sid likes playing with Dupuis and Kunitz so "maybe" that is why Iginla is still stuck on the LW with Malkin.

• Like 1

One of the hosts on Pittsburgh's sports talk radio hosts mentioned it this morning. He doesn't have inside scoop or anything tangible and he's not a Pens beat guy. I think it just came from the general knowledge that Sid likes playing with Dupuis and Kunitz so "maybe" that is why Iginla is still stuck on the LW with Malkin.

I'd believe it. The best hockey player in the world is also a spoiled brat.

• Like 2

All due respect to Boston... Rask stole the game. The Pens hit posts, glass... Each other... But Rask was the difference.

Yes Jagr hooked Malkin to get the puck that turns into the game winner... But the Pens had plenty of chances to win and blew it.

We had the better team all season. The Bruins are playing better AS a team in the postseason.

• Like 1

All due respect to Boston... Rask stole the game. The Pens hit posts, glass... Each other... But Rask was the difference.

Yes Jagr hooked Malkin to get the puck that turns into the game winner... But the Pens had plenty of chances to win and blew it.

We had the better team all season. The Bruins are playing better AS a team in the postseason.

That is a spot on and honest assessment as hard as it may be for a Pens fan so kudos to you. Also kudos for not whining about the non call on the hook on Malkin. It doesnt do any good to whine about it but you would have every right to 'cause that was definitely a penalty.

Agreed. Elitist attitude as well.

You say elitist, I say spoiled brat. I think we both get what the other is trying to say though.

When Canada faces off in any international tournament that he's eligible to play in, I want him on the team. When they won gold in the Olympics, he was the last guy on that team I wanted to score the winner. I mean I'm glad someone scored. But him getting it after a so-so performance through most of it just added to exactly what we're talking about here. Maybe I'm wrong about that...maybe he scored because he is Crosby. But to me he was disappointing as the leader or best player on that team.

You say elitist, I say spoiled brat. I think we both get what the other is trying to say though.

When Canada faces off in any international tournament that he's eligible to play in, I want him on the team. When they won gold in the Olympics, he was the last guy on that team I wanted to score the winner. I mean I'm glad someone scored. But him getting it after a so-so performance through most of it just added to exactly what we're talking about here. Maybe I'm wrong about that...maybe he scored because he is Crosby. But to me he was disappointing as the leader or best player on that team.

FC - I say both!!