What would it take to trade into the top 3?

Guest sekkes85

This draft has a lot of potential to develop a good crop of superstars in the league. The Flyers sit nicely (one of few good things to come from last season) at the 11th spot in the draft. Several mock drafts have the Flyers drafting a few different defensemen that could potentially be impact players depending on their development. Players such as Ristolainen, Zadorov, or Pulock (Nurse won't be there at 11) could all help the Flyers down the road and all have the potential to be very good players. Usually at this position you can land a pretty solid NHL player as seen by the below list dating back the last 10 years.

2012 – Flilp Forsberg, RW, Washington

2011 – Duncan Siemens, D, Colorado

2010 – Jack Campbell, G, Dallas

2009 – Ryan Ellis, D, Nashville

2008 – Kyle Beach, C, Chicago

2007 – Brandon Sutter, C, Carolina

2006 – Jonathan Bernier, G, Los Angeles

2005 – Anze Kopitar, C, Los Angeles

2004 – Lauri Tukonen, RW, Los Angeles

2003 – Jeff Carter, C, Flyers

Several team shave expressed interest in trading down and accumulating more picks or adding some roster players. The Avalanche and Predators have both publicly expressed such interest. If the Flyers were able to trade into the top 3 (hell I'll take even 5 with this year's) what would it take and would it be worth it? I'm thinking depending on where you start off it's going to take the 11th and Coots or Schenn and maybe another roster player depending on the team. Also note that the 2nd overall pick belongs to Florida ($12 mil in cap room) where we could potentially throw in a Danny Briere if he were willing to waive his NTC.

Flyers trade 11th overall, Schenn, and Briere to Panthers for 2nd overall pick.

Is this enough, too much, or fair for the chance to draft a potential superstar in Jones, MacKinnon, or Drouin?

I've been considering the possibilities of what it would take as well. However, my thoughts are what would it take to move up and still keep the #11 pick. If we could, I would consider a number of lower round picks plus Read and Couts. I think it would be worth it to obtain two top players who are almost sure bets to succeed. We have replacements for Couts (Laughton) and Read (McGinn). If it means we suffer through another year so be it since we will again have fairly high picks in the succeeding draft. What say you.

Briere isn't going to agree to go to Florida. Schenn is a steep price to pay to move up 8 spots IMO.

9 spots in a front heavy draft where the top 3-4 would be easy #1's any other year? I'd do that trade without any second guesses. I agree though Briere most likely won't waive his NTC but who knows.

@sekkes85 @flyercanuck

I normally agree with u on most subjects Flyercanuck, but that trade would be a steal. B. Schenn is still unproven and with the chance of getting MacKinnon, Jones or Drouin. I must be really biased about the Halifax players, but man, I think I would trade Coburn, Schenn and the 11th pick for the 1st pick to get my hands on MacKinnon.

9 spots in a front heavy draft where the top 3-4 would be easy #1's any other year? I'd do that trade without any second guesses. I agree though Briere most likely won't waive his NTC but who knows.

Right, 9 spots. You have move to top 3 in the title, but 2nd in your post. I just feel Schenn is the type of physical player you need to succeed against teams like Boston, Chicago, LA these days. He's only going to get better. How about Couturier, Read and 2nd and 3rd round for #5 overall and take Nichushkin? Giroux and Mac down the middle would be awesome. But pretty small versus Boston.

Right, 9 spots. You have move to top 3 in the title, but 2nd in your post. I just feel Schenn is the type of physical player you need to succeed against teams like Boston, Chicago, LA these days. He's only going to get better. How about Couturier, Read and 2nd and 3rd round for #5 overall and take Nichushkin? Giroux and Mac down the middle would be awesome. But pretty small versus Boston.

If we could land that deal I would do it... Nich is going to be a monster in this league.

@murraycraven The part this is maddening is we were so close to just naturally being in that #5 slot. We don't pull the trigger on the Mason deal (which was great for the team, just not our draft slot) and we are probably picking 3-6. Sooooo very close. Now we are basically talking about giving up prized commodities because we got hot at the wrong time. No use crying over spilled milk, but damn, it's enough to make me pull what little hair I have left from my scalp!!!

• Like 1

@murraycraven The part this is maddening is we were so close to just naturally being in that #5 slot. We don't pull the trigger on the Mason deal (which was great for the team, just not our draft slot) and we are probably picking 3-6. Sooooo very close. Now we are basically talking about giving up prized commodities because we got hot at the wrong time. No use crying over spilled milk, but damn, it's enough to make me pull what little hair I have left from my scalp!!!

We "Leafed it" didn't we?

• Like 3

Yes and there was a bunch of folks on here that couldn't see the big picture and couldn't handle losing some insignificant games late in the Season. I hope this people aren't crying now. It does aggravate me to no end.

Edited by TimKerrFan12

@TimKerrFan12

i am a guy that hates losing but did see the bigger picture, so i'm in that thread saying i hate the thought of losing games and would rather see them win. i cannot help it i hate losing.

But there was point where there was just no catching Colorado for the top pick and we were in 25th place in the league; where i was of the opinion that we weren't getting jones, mackinon or drouin but we would be in the running for the russian kid and nurse , so i was okay with that, if we could have just leveled out with the sucking all would have been good. but darned if other teams couldn't just go out and suck worse than we did and ... well i'm not going to eat any crow but effort shall be rewarded in the ledger of life , blah blah blah.

even though i'd like for one of those kids to be Flyers, there's no guarantee they won't wind up vanRimesdyking either.

Edited by mojo1917
  • Like 1

The team has some youth, and tanking does not send the right message at all, big picture or not. Besides, it's beyond disgraceful and disrespectful.

I wouldn't mind if they lost while trying their best, leading to a great pick. However, I will never hope the Flyers lose.

• Like 1