Bernier might now cost us Couturier

brelic

I would prefer Mason and a box of paper clips to having Bryz here for another minute. Buy the bastard out and worry about goalie #2 later. To me making a deal for Bernier and cutting Bryz are two separate issues. AND if you go into it with the mindset that one can only happen if the other does, you'll end up overpaying as Lombardi smells your desperation, Homer probably gives up Coots + plus the obligatory second rounder....don't laugh, can't you see it happening???

To the point I lean toward digity's point of view. I like Coots, but I would consider him straight up for Bernier...but man the though of giving him up gives me the heebie jeebies.

No, what should give you the willies is the idea of Bernier going to the Devils or Penguins and then becoming a thorn in our side for the next decade.

Homer needs to get this done.

• Like 3

I will drive Couturier to California and pick up Bernier and drive him back.

I just need a car. And gas. And this lamp. And the paddle game. And this chair...

Box of paper clips have a better chance of stopping a breakaway than Bryz!!!!!!!!

Plus, they'd be better for keeping all the NMC contracts together in a neat nifty stack.

The box of paper clips has better lateral movement.

• Like 1

I will drive Couturier to California and pick up Bernier and drive him back.

You'd rather trade a proven although not awhole lot for an unproven smallish goaltender?????

I'd rather trade a winger in Read who to me may be as good as he's going to get, instead of for Coots...

...who is only turning 21 come December.

Read is already 27!!!

Read is the only guy i would trade for Bernier sorry...only complaint i have with Coots is his skating which i will give a chance to improve.

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

Read is the only guy i would trade for Bernier sorry...only complaint i have with Coots is his skating which i will give a chance to improve.

I'd offer Read+ first, obviously. Never start with your best offer.

But is the price is Couturier, I think you have to seriously consider it.

Overall, I would prefer to target either Halak or Elliott out of St. Louis. Both of them are actual established starters and it's not very likely that the Blues keep both.

But is the price is Couturier, I think you have to seriously consider it.

Let them squirm....they have a lot of guys they need to makes decisions on resigning guys with very limited cap space so with that said lets keep leverage in our end as much as possible...they can get themselves breathing room when the release Briere...i'm tired of Homer painting himself into a corner and losing leverage...so Homer just needs to remain patient...Leafs ain't got a wole lot to offer over the Flyers...and they have guys they need to resign. Flyers need to manage the cap first then worry about the backup position later.

LA only has 14 guys signed for next year( 9 forwards and only 4 Dmen and 1 goaltender) and only 11 mill to do it with, THEY NEED DO SOMETHING NOT THE FLYERS, they have 25 skaters under contract...lets not panic and do anything rash...for once...ride it out see who also gets bought out to many options out there to add by subtracting IMHO.

On the other hand, @OccamsRazor , we have a plethora of centers and not a helluvalot in terms of wingers. I think maybe I keep the winger that should probably get me 20-25 goals.

If it's Coots or Read, I have a really hard time picking and would be begging for what's behind door #3.

I do think Read might be more attractive to LA, though, unless they're doing something with their centers we don't know about.

Bobrovsky? :ph34r:

Maybe Holmgren can trade 2 prospects, a first and a second to get Bob back, sign him to a 14 year NMC contract for $8M/yr. only to have his intestines grow out of his nostrils only 3 months later.

Bernier is going to be a stud.

I don't think it would take trading Cooter to get him, but I would consider it.

How about Read & Laughton?

Sounds like the Flyers & Kings have already been talking. It;ll get done somehow.

Andy, I was hoping you would shed some light on this. Have you seen Bernier play?

Andy, I was hoping you would shed some light on this. Have you seen Bernier play?

I assume that you are not being sarcastic?

Yes, I have seen him play quite a few times. Not too long ago the Kings front office actually had him rated ahead of Quick. (Obviously winning the Cup changed that.)

Take it for what it is worth:

via Crossing Broad: Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos is reporting that restricted free agent Jonathan Bernier, Jonathan Quick’s backup with the Kings, will be traded soon and that the Flyers are the frontrunners

• Like 1

I assume that you are not being sarcastic?

Yes, I have seen him play quite a few times. Not too long ago the Kings front office actually had him rated ahead of Quick. (Obviously winning the Cup changed that.)

No sarcasm here. I thought you had said you've seen him play before.

• Like 1

Take it for what it is worth:

via Crossing Broad: Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos is reporting that restricted free agent Jonathan Bernier, Jonathan Quick’s backup with the Kings, will be traded soon and that the Flyers are the frontrunners

In the article it brings up Read for Bernier....

No sarcasm here. I thought you had said you've seen him play before.

OK, sorry.

I have been harping on & on here about Bernier for a couple of years now, so I thought maybe some people were tired of hearing this broken record. :)

I think Couturier is an overpayment for Bernier. I know they're both prospects. But bernier is pretty small for todays NHL goalie. He plays on a strong defensively responsible team. If we get him he's coming to a wide open forget your own end style that won't exactly equal what's playing in front of him now.

And as much as I think Laughton will be a good NHLer, he won't handle Malkin like Couturier, not at his size.

• Like 1

<br />Overall, I would prefer to target either Halak or Elliott out of St. Louis. Both of them are actual established starters and it's not very likely that the Blues keep both. <br />

they'll keep halak. because Elliot is terrible. caught lightning in a bottle one season. even with his crazy .940 in '11-12, his career sv% is .909.

also, has played more than half his teams' games three times in his career, and those barely.

i'm not an Elliot fan. honestly, only prefer him over brzgalov by the slimmest of margins.