Which is worse for Bruins fans...

B21

...last night or Bill Buckner?

Bucker. Burress. Bickell. Bolland.

That's some heartbreak for Bostonians right there.

Speaking of shut down defencemen, how many of the Hawks goals was Chara on the ice for? 10 of the last 12? -6 in the last 3 games? -5 in the series? At least he had the offensive game to even things out. ;)

"Chara" is Slovakian for "pylon".

...last night or Bill Buckner?

Bucker. Burress. Bickell. Bolland.

That's some heartbreak for Bostonians right there.

Speaking of shut down defencemen, how many of the Hawks goals was Chara on the ice for? 10 of the last 12? -6 in the last 3 games? -5 in the series? At least he had the offensive game to even things out. ;)

"Chara" is Slovakian for "pylon".

If I'm going into the playoffs, I'd take Chara over ANY defenceman your team, or my team has. I don't mean longterm, just one playoff run.

• Like 1

As I posted elsewhere Bruins fans will feel this one for a long time, it reminds me of 1979 conference finals, Bruins up a goal with time running out against the Canadiens when they took a dumb penalty (like last night) giving the Habs a power play and Lafleur scored, and in overtime Yvon Lambert scored finishing the series, Don Cherry got fired and the Bruins were never quite the same for the next decade.

This is the type of heartbreaking loss that can make a team doubt itself, cause a GM to panic and make a rash decision or two. I hope so, we are in a division with them next year. If nothing else it gives Bruins fans something else to cry about, of course 'Bruins fans crying or whining' is a bit of a oxymoron....

@flyercanuck

Chara was definitely exposed in this series, though. Do you think he just kind of hit a wall or is there anything else to be take from it?

IMHO, I simply think he was worn down. He got hammered pretty consistently in the Conference Finals. I think it caught up with him in the Cup Finals.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

Chara was definitely exposed in this series, though. Do you think he just kind of hit a wall or is there anything else to be take from it?

Ya i think he was gassed. And Quennville took that into consideration and then sicked Bickel on him. The battles those two waged from then on left Chara on E ...and Toews and Kane to do their thing. It's amazing what good coaching can do.

• Like 1

@flyercanuck

I think a lot of what fc was saying is true, Chara was gassed. Personally, I think a healthy, well rested Chara is *still* a wicked force to be reckoned with. It was painfully obvious from the start of this series that the Hawks were targeting Chara, intentionally throwing the puck at his feet and sending in at least Bickell, sometimes multiple players to sandwich him an pulerize him. It turned out to be an excellent stragety. How did the Hawks come up with this stragety? I have my theories....Chara may well have been hurt going into this series, most guys have some nagging injury at this point of the playoffs, but maybe, just maybe they noticed it on tape, that he cringed when hit on a certain body part, or maybe, after game one someone pointed out....I heard him gasp in pain when hit here.....and that formed the stragety going forward. What ever sparked the implementation of it...it was sheer brillance.

Quenville has always been a great coach, he picks up on stuff like this quick. Without targeting Chara and reuniting Towes and Kane (ok, that was an obvious move...but I digress.....ha ha) the Hawks simply don't win this thing.

edit...didn't see fc's last post before typing this thing...just saw the gassed thing and went from there, so it was not intentional copyright infringement....lol.

Edited by jammer2

If I'm going into the playoffs, I'd take Chara over ANY defenceman your team, or my team has. I don't mean longterm, just one playoff run.

Why does "my team" always have to be dragged into this?

Just stating some simple facts that this series proved. Even the best "shut down" defencemen are capable of a horrid....and horrid is an understatement here...series.

@B21 IMHO, Buckner was far worse, cause the Red Sox were actually within one out of winning, not forcing a game seven like the Bruins. But still, this collapse was monumental...the looks on some of the Bruins players was priceless, no matter how much I dislike them, it was hard to not have some sympathy here. I'd say they will bounce back, but that road has already been traveled with the bounce back from the Flyers 3-0 comeback win...some of these players will never be the same. Permanent mental scarring....lol.

@B21 IMHO, Buckner was far worse, cause the Red Sox were actually within one out of winning, not forcing a game seven like the Bruins. But still, this collapse was monumental...the looks on some of the Bruins players was priceless, no matter how much I dislike them, it was hard to not have some sympathy here. I'd say they will bounce back, but that road has already been traveled with the bounce back from the Flyers 3-0 comeback win...some of these players will never be the same. Permanent mental scarring....lol.

The flip side is that even with the loss the Sox still had a chance in Game 7 (though at that point the world knew The Curse had taken hold and there was no way the Sox would win Game 7). This time, there was no Game 7 to fall back on. I could go either way.

@flyercanuck

@jammer2

Brilliant coaching to go after Chara the way they did... I agree FC. I'll relay that to Bylsma for you if I get the chance. ;) That was Bylsma that started that route actually. It was talked about a lot during the Pens series, and they did exactly that. I think the difference is by the time Chicago started doing it, he'd been banged so many times it started to matter. I agree with @B21 though, he did look like a pylon in the last few games. Could it really be fatigue though in half a season? If so, that doesn't bode well for him for next season...

• 2 weeks later...

Good to see a dirty team like Boston lose. Chara and that piece of crap Marchant and the rest of the goon squad. Talent wound up winning. These are not the Bruins like Orr's Bruins who had great talent. Bobby Orr was a great hockey player. I am not saying they are not a good team. But they are not a great team. IMO they were fortunate to catch Pittsburgh in a mess, and most of the talented teams this year were in the West. Tim Thomas is way better than rask. Now you can see that. Old stone face claude is not going to get back to the dance again with this group. Nice job of letting talent prevail Blackhawks.!!!

I totally agree with this. I never thought I could hate a player as much as I hate Marchand. I waited this series to see if I was being too hasty & see if he had any redeeming qualities, but I found none. Thomas may be a better talent than Rask, but I never could stand his dirty play & attitude, which I don't see as much with Rask (I didn't really see any dirty moves at least, cuz he could have really belted Crosby a good one when he stupidly antagonized Rask while he was just going to the bench during that whole brouhaha with the Pens).

Btw, I'm new here...are there actually any Boston fans on this site??

@goalnut3133 I'd love to have the "little ball of hate" on the Flyers. Great guy to have on your team, sucks to play against. There is a reason why everyone hates Marchand....despite the dirty antics, he's a quality scorer who has still not shown what he can fully do on offense. As far as agitating, he's right up there with the best. Would love to see Ott and Marchand on the same line, CHOAS!!

@jammer2 Yah I know what you mean, I hate to admit it, but he's just got totally 'magic hands'...but I think I would STILL not like him on our team...haha..I JUST DON'T LIKE THE GUY! And I know the Canucks need some good big hitters, but sometimes goons just irk me...like Zack Kassian, ok, he's big & can hit for us..but he sometimes really irritates me...can you do anything else like actually play & shoot the puck? This last playoff with San Jose was a joke...it was a parade to the penalty box and we couldn't buy goals...anyway, that's my rant for the day! (And I haven't even started on Bieksa!) Thx for listening...Haha!

@goalnut3133 I saw Kassian play a few years for my Spits. He actually has great hands, but it has not materilized during his NHL career. He projected to be a power forward who can fight and take the puck hard to net.....not seeing a lot of that. If he has another bad season, he will be called a bust. It's quite odd, cause the guy has a legit shot and scores in tight a lot. Guess this might be a case where the skill set does not translate to the NHL level. I would not write him off yet though, but it's nearing that time. He *has* to step up large this year. Teams will only be so patient.

@jammer2 Wow, I would have never guessed Kassian had such skills! God, I hope this 'skill set not translating to the NHL level' doesn't apply to Bo Horvat! I've heard some commentary on how the 'Nucks could be taking this chance. It's always such a risk.

@goalnut3133

Yeah, he scored 26 goals in his final year in Windsor. Many of them highlight reel type stuff. Of course, he had guys like Hall, Henrique and Loktionov setting him up. He does have the capablity to score double digit goals and be a nice rugged power forward. The big problem I see is his skating was average in the OHL, but below average in the NHL, so that is stunting his growth and I don't know if he can improve it. You would be shocked to see some of the one time rockets he scored in jrs. Next year is his make or break year, hope he makes the best of it. Another problem, is he liked the party nightlife scene, when he should be training hard to improve himself. He had a big rep as a party type in Windsor. He got charged with assault outside of a Windsor bar when he was 18. Charges conviently dropped so he could pursue his NHL career in my estimation.

http://www.hockeydb.....php?pid=106835

Edited by jammer2

@jammer2 26 Goals/51 assists in 1 season, not so long ago? Definitely some disparity here...sort of a Billy Beane syndrome going on...I have a feeling they're mainly keeping him on for his size & brute...something we're so lacking...however we can't make up for it in fire power like the Hawks can, that's the frustrating part. Not only goal scoring but goal scoring in the Playoffs, when it really counts, would be nice...

@goalnut3133 I have a feeling the twins world is about to be turned upside down. Fonzie (Tortarella, ha ha) knows the only way he can succeed is to get the most out of the twins. It all starts with them. They have to score in the playoffs, have to be more dominant. That and Kesler needs to find some consistancy. He's highly regarded still, but the injuries and inconsistancy have plagued him for the past few years. Do you like the Ballard buy out? Seems like a good move to me, he never really seemed to fit in for Vancouver.

@jammer2 Twins are good in the regular season (or at least decent), but choke in the playoffs. It doesn't take much to nullify them when the heavy-hitting teams come to play. I'm always afraid their bones are gonna break at some point. Speaking of which, they should get rid of Mason Raymond, he doesn't do as much as he should & all the D-men have to do with him is blow on him & he falls down. Sickening. IMO I don't see Kesler getting back to the great form he once had. In those days, he was just poetry in motion. Such a shame about his injury right when he was at the top of his game. I'm fine with the Ballard buy-out, he wasn't really top on my list. If you ask me, I think the whole team needs consistency. That glorious year with all the awards, # 1 in the Western Conference, # 1 in the league in almost every facet of the game (power play, pk, etc), & then get the most brutal slaughtering by the Bruins in the final & go out with a whimper. Hate to say it, but I don't ever see us getting the Cup...Torts or not..haha.

@goalnut3133 It looks to me like the twins should get dealt and start the inevitable rebuild. Problem is, those two can't be apart, so finding a team that thinks they are the answer, that can also afford the double cap hit is nearly impossible.