Letang signs 8 yrs 58M

Guest hf101

Wow. Don't know how they are going to ice a club. They may need to play old time hockey with a dozen or so players and the GM Shero as the backup goalie ala Patrick for the Rangers in the forties.

It's not signed yet... but looks promising. I think that's a smart move. You have a defenseman that is more a threat to score than most other team's forwards, and when he's determined to, can play good positional defense. The team suffers without him, and he's a major talent.

It's not signed yet... but looks promising. I think that's a smart move. You have a defenseman that is more a threat to score than most other team's forwards, and when he's determined to, can play good positional defense. The team suffers without him, and he's a major talent.

I guess I can live with $7.25 per. If the cap goes up, we'll be fine. I wonder how this impacts the Dupuis and Cooke negotiations. I also think this seals Niskanen's fate (will not be brought back after next season) and maybe even Orpik's.

I guess I can live with $7.25 per. If the cap goes up, we'll be fine. I wonder how this impacts the Dupuis and Cooke negotiations. I also think this seals Niskanen's fate (will not be brought back after next season) and maybe even Orpik's.

I'm hearing Niskanen is trade bait. They want room for maybe Bortuzzo, Depres and Maatta.

Really? I mean come on, he scored what...FIVE goals this year (the same as overpaid broken down over the hill Timonen). That puts him at 266th in scoring in the league. I'd say he plays D like half the forwards is closer to reality.

Edited by flyercanuck

Really? I mean come on, he scored what...FIVE goals this year (the same as overpaid broken down over the hill Timonen). That puts him at 266th in scoring in the league. I'd say he plays D like half the forwards is closer to reality.

Did I say GOAL scorer? No. Letang had 38 points in 35 games... that is 1.086 points per game.... the highly regarded Claude Giroux led all Flyers scorers with 48 points in 48 games... that is 1.000 points per game. Oh my... what is that? The insults you level at Letang are biased by tinted glasses?? Letang would be the highest point per game scorer on your entire club, NHL '13 coverman, captain, and highly vaunted Giroux included.

Sometimes FC, you hate too much. Now are you going to tell me assists don't count? Or brokeback Kimo would do better? Good grief man... I get that he's not the Weber style shut down defenseman you appreciate. That doesn't mean he's not a great player.

Yeah but if they played him at his natural position.... ;)

• Like 1

@ruxpin

@flyercanuck

I was raised as scoring means points, not just goals. Apparently it's a different use of the phrase. Regardless, Letang on a breakaway would have better odds than most forwards as well. The guy has a talent. He's a player that other teams worry when he goes on the rush with the puck.

One of the best parts of this, is it makes Rob Rossi once again look like a buffoon. The guy just makes things up by guessing, and then hopes they come true.

In regards to the contract, to me it is just a little high. Hope the cap goes up $2M a year the next couple of years.

Just thinking out loud....if they were willing to pay $6.75 million per, is $7.25 that much worse? Is that $500,000 going to cost us anyone? Not likely.

I guess if I was OK w/ $6.75 million, I can't get too upset over $7.25 million.

Just thinking out loud....if they were willing to pay $6.75 million per, is $7.25 that much worse? Is that $500,000 going to cost us anyone? Not likely.

I guess]if I was OK w/ $6.75 million, I can't get too upset over $7.25 million.

Kennedy to San Jose for a 2nd round pick

Guess there's the answer.

Guess there's the answer.

Kennedy was RFA...only under contract this year at $2,000,000 if they qualified him (which they said they were going to do) while Letang is still at $3.5 million. If this deal costs us anyone, we'll know next year...unless of course we lose out on Cooke or Dupuis after reasonable offers.

Kennedy was RFA...only under contract this year at $2,000,000 if they qualified him (which they said they were going to do) while Letang is still at $3.5 million. If this deal costs us anyone, we'll know next year...unless of course we lose out on Cooke or Dupuis after reasonable offers.

Shero sounded hopeful on Dupuis today, but no mention of Cooke. I'm torn on that now. Cooke provides a polarizing presence on the ice, no doubt, and that has to sit in the minds of his opponents. His scoring touch has picked up recently, specifically 2011-2012, and he seemed to have righted the ship with his style of play. BUT... having said that, sometimes he's negative attention and not exactly fitting to the Pens style of play. So I'm torn...

@Polaris922 When I first read it, I thought goals also. Splitting hairs, but if you were talking about points, it would have been a little less confusing to phrase it "produces more than most teams forwards"....either way, I get your point.

@Polaris922 When I first read it, I thought goals also. Splitting hairs, but if you were talking about points, it would have been a little less confusing to phrase it "produces more than most teams forwards"....either way, I get your point.

Fair enough!

Of course you'd be confused... Playoff hockey. ;)

Oh yeah. I've heard tell of that. I hear it's pretty exciting but extremely difficult to score in a four game series. Any truth to that? I wouldn't know. My team only (occasionally, when they feel like it) plays in something called a "regular" season where games are decided by an ever-exciting [sic] skills competition.