Development Camp 2013

Guest hf101

The Flyers announced Wednesday that they've invited 31 players to their 2013 Development Camp, which will open July 8 at Skate Zone in Voorhees. Here's a full look at those invited:

Forwards (13): Brandon Alderson, Tyler Brown, Nick Cousins, Kyle Flanagan, Tyrell Goulbourne, Stephen Harper, Andrew Johnson, Scott Laughton, Taylor Leier, Derek Mathers, Marcel Noebels, Andrew Ryan, Petr Straka

Defensemen (12): Mark Alt, Terrance Amorosa, David Drake, Shayne Gostisbehere, Robert Hagg, Matt Konan, Maxim Lamarche, Frederic Larsson, Nick Luukko, Eamonn McDermott, Samuel Morin, Reece Willcox.

Goaltenders (6): Carsen Chubak, Cal Heeter, Merrick Madsen, Ryan McKay, Matt Skoff, Anthony Stolarz.

Every 2013 Flyers draft pick will be in attendance, including first-round pick Samuel Morin and second-rounder Robert Hagg. Phantoms goaltender Cal Heeter will be the elder statesman at camp. Most players at camp are property of the Flyers: nine were picked up as free agents, one via trade and 16 via the draft.

Colorado College defenseman Eamonn McDermott, Erie Otters winger Stephen Harper, Halifax Mooseheads winger Andrew Ryan, Miami goaltender Ryan McKay and Penn State goalie Matt Skoff are all players who aren't property of the team but were invited to camp.

The prospects will take the ice from 8:30 to 10 a.m. on Monday, July 8, Tuesday, July 9 and Thursday, July 11. On Wednesday, July 10 they'll be in Stone Harbor for the annual Trial On The Isle. All events are free.

source

There will be no scrimmage this year.

Bill Meltzer also has a write up. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-2013-Development-Camp-Preview-Quick-Hits/45/52539#.UdWLlPnrwW8

Interesting to see Petr Straka at camp. Drafted in the 2nd round by Columbus who obviously didn't sign him.

82 points in the Q last year. He was once a highly-touted prospect: taken 22nd in the CHL import draft in 2009.

Great skill with the typical weaknesses of the smallish European player

Interesting to see Petr Straka at camp. Drafted in the 2nd round by Columbus who obviously didn't sign him.

82 points in the Q last year. He was once a highly-touted prospect: taken 22nd in the CHL import draft in 2009.

Great skill with the typical weaknesses of the smallish European player

Well since you're here what is the scouting report on Andrew Ryan played for your Mooseheads i see he's pretty big for just a 19 year old...wonder if he'll be signed???

Or just a body for camp?

When you're ready sir!!!!!!!!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=9598

@OccamsRazor

Ryan is big and a buddy of mine was once pretty high on him as a 17 year old.

But he hasn't developed like some thought he might. Mind you that was an awful Halifax team he was on when he was 17. His foot speed isn't great. Nothing really elite about any of his skills, but he was a solid, reliable big body up the middle for them this year.

I'm not certain he can make it as a pro.

• Like 1

There will be no scrimmage this year.

Lappy shed light on why and it makes sense...

http://flyers.nhl.co...vid=DL|PHI|home

Ian Laperriere ran the Flyers Prospect Camp last year and disliked the process so much that he gave it an extreme home makeover this season.

It all starts with the title too. Now known as Flyers Development Camp (not surprising since Laperriere is the Flyers director of Player Development), the five day event is going to be slimmed down, have less eye candy and be more intensely focused on instruction and development.

Usually, this camp, which will take place this year from July 7-11, is full of prospects and about 20 camp invitees, hoping to earn a serious look from Flyers management. It also usually constitutes of a couple scrimmages, where players also try to impress the brass.

That lead to a lot of unnecessary injuries in the summer time. That’s part of why it all had to change.

“There are going to be a lot less players,” Laperriere said. “We will primarily have players we’ve drafted or players we have signed under contract. And the few (non-roster) invites we do have are going to be players that we want to get another look at.”

The number of non-roster invites though will be very few, as the concentration for the Flyers will be more on the advancement of their own prospects.

“I can’t blame the invite guys. They come in and are trying to make a name for themselves,” Laperriere said. “It’s their one shot. I would do the same thing. So, they take a run at some of our top prospects in a game sometimes. Looking back, it’s not worth it.”

As such, there won’t be any games during the camp. Instead, the schedule will be intense, but solely focused on developing certain skills for certain players.

“There are no games,” Laperriere said. “I went to [General Manager] Paul Holmgren and [Director of Hockey Operations] Chris Pryor and told them how I felt. It’s ridiculous to play games because we’ve had so many injuries in the past. I feel bad for the fans who want to see the future Flyers play [in games] but at the end of the day this is what’s best for the kids in the system.”

The reason?

It’s July. Off-season training programs are designed to help players get into game shape by mid September. In July, they are more susceptible to injuries that come about because of a lack of being on the ice on a regular basis.

“I don’t believe in brining kids in during July and have a training camp atmosphere,” Laperriere said. “It’s not fair to anybody. It’s not fair to the kids to be expected to be in top shape in July, which I don’t think they should be. They should be in good shape, but not ready to compete.”

Instead, the smaller groups and a focus more on development should prove to be more beneficial for the young talent.

“If we have less players and four coaches out there, it gives us more time for individual attention for players,” Laperriere said. “At the end of the day, we won’t change them in four or five days, but if they leave with a few drills to work on at home, we did our job.”

The schedule will consist of a one hour practice Sunday night at 6 p.m. With one group of 15 on the Flyers rink at Skate Zone in Voorhees, N.J. and one group of 15 on the Phantoms rink.

Monday, Tuesday and Thursday will be longer days with identical schedules.

In the morning one group will be on the ice and the other will be in the gym. Practice will be an hour tops.

“Remember, it’s a smaller group,” said Laperriere. “So, with 13 skaters and two goalies, that’s a lot of skating at this point in the summer.”

The two groups will switch before breaking for lunch. After lunch there will be a team meeting and then a second on-ice session lasting about 30 minutes that will be skill drills only.

The players will have a couple hours of down time before a team dinner and an evening meeting.

Wednesday will be the one day that’s different as the prospects take part in the annual Trial on the Isle in Stone Harbor, N.J.

So far, 24 players are coming to the camp. Included in that last is last year’s first round pick Scott Laughton, who played five games this season for the Flyers, goalie prospect Anthony Stolarz, who will also take part in the U.S. U-20 development camp this summer, as well as other promising draft picks like center Nick Cousins, defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere and winger Taylor Leier.

Also expected to attend are recent free agent signings Brandon Alderson, Petr Straka and Maxim LaMarche, defenseman Mark Alt, who was acquired via a trade with Carolina before last season, as well as several players who played significantly for the Phantoms last season such as forwards Andrew Johnston. Marcel Noebels, and Tyler Brown, goalie Cal Heeter and defenseman Matt Konan.

The six draft picks the Flyers have in Sunday’s draft are also expected to attend. If for some reason the total number dips below 30, other non-roster invitees may be added.

enjoy...

Edited by OccamsRazor
  • Like 1

@OccamsRazor That does make perfect sense, good solid reasoning there. Guess we won't be begging for info this year though, kinda hard to evaluate kids going around pylons (no, Foster has not been invited, I meant actual pylons....lol).

• Like 1

@OccamsRazor

thanks, I do like Lappy's perspective. I haven't looked but I was wondering what the numbers are of the number prospects who make the NHL per team per year are? I always thought the Flyers had a larger number of their picks becoming NHL'ers. Thus compare the old camp to the new development camp.

I always thought the Flyers had a larger number of their picks becoming NHL'ers.

Yeah i think i remember Chris Clapperton an invite getting drafted by someone, i want to say Florida.

Flyers almost get no credit by finding secondary talent....ie.undrafted guys, at least i think.

Edit:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143899

Selected by Florida Panthers round 5 #122 overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft

Edited by OccamsRazor

Interesting lineup of invitees. I am most curious to see how the following players perform:

Cousins, Laughton, Mathers and Noebels. I think Cousins and Laughton are future NHL guys and could be trade bait for a defenseman due to our logjam at center. Mathers is a tough kid who will hit and can dropp the mitts with the best of them. He will be with the Phantoms but curious to see if he worked on other parts of his game.

On defense my focus is on Shayne Gostisbehere and Samuel Morin. Shayne is a guy who I can see easily being in the NHL in 2 seasons and has the offense this team will need to replace Kimo. Morin is still a work in progress but big, physical defensemen who play a mean game are still highly valued. And as much as you can teach certain things you can't teach reach. I hope Pronger works with the kid on other parts of his game such as playing the passing lanes, using his reach, his footwork as he already has the attitude.

Interesting lineup of invitees. I am most curious to see how the following players perform:

Cousins, Laughton, Mathers and Noebels. I think Cousins and Laughton are future NHL guys and could be trade bait for a defenseman due to our logjam at center. Mathers is a tough kid who will hit and can dropp the mitts with the best of them. He will be with the Phantoms but curious to see if he worked on other parts of his game.

On defense my focus is on Shayne Gostisbehere and Samuel Morin. Shayne is a guy who I can see easily being in the NHL in 2 seasons and has the offense this team will need to replace Kimo. Morin is still a work in progress but big, physical defensemen who play a mean game are still highly valued. And as much as you can teach certain things you can't teach reach. I hope Pronger works with the kid on other parts of his game such as playing the passing lanes, using his reach, his footwork as he already has the attitude.

I think Laughton ends up our 3rd line center...and ends up one of THE best in the league. He's got skill, speed, tenacity and really takes care of things WITHOUT the puck.

Cousins won't be an NHL center.

I couldn't watch it (work firewall, but Morin highlights from yesterday:

http://video.flyers....=262380〈=en

Man i just pray they hold onto him and let him develop here...he has a good foundation to build on huge, mean and can skate better than half the forwards already skating we the Flyers...leaps and bounds better than Coots.

He looks like a young Pronger with his tall lanky ass. He can wear 230-250 with no problem on his frame.

• Like 1