Flyers going all-in?

Guest brelic

Oh man, here we go. Anyone know who this guy is? Credible or hack?

Could be one helluva roller coaster ride today!

https://mobile.twitter.com/ALLsportsINTEL

Rich Smith @ALLsportsINTEL 9h

FLYERS - Source - The plan was always to take care of Giroux and see where they stand afterwards, now that's taken care of comes the moves

@Gordsie The feeling around the Flyers right now seems to be this is an all-in season, expect a lot of action and going for big names.

Rich Smith @ALLsportsINTEL 27m

@AnthonyMingioni The one constant I have been told over the past few days is the Flyers are willing to add a piece whether it be ...

@AnthonyMingioni Read or even Couturier to help unload Meszaros in the prospect of getting something back in return to help this year.

Rich Smith @ALLsportsINTEL 22m

Flyers still dangling Coburn, however the Flyers would have to get back a return that would help the team this season.

Rich Smith @ALLsportsINTEL 9m

From my sources Flyers are looking for a high goal scoring Forward, though if the opportunity to pick up a top Dman were to happen than yes

I've been reading his tweets since draft day, he seems like a good guy. Hasn't tweeted anything out of ordinary but the all in since. And knowing the Flyers got Vinny, they might think their window to the Cup is a couple years . :(

How the heck do you go "all-in" with a team that missed the playoffs last season? The Bruins could go all in and it would make sense. Ditto Pittsburgh or LA. But not a team that was a late season run away from a top five draft pick.

• Like 1

Oh man, here we go. Anyone know who this guy is? Credible or hack?

Could be one helluva roller coaster ride today!

https://mobile.twitt.../ALLsportsINTEL

FLYERS - Source - The plan was always to take care of Giroux and see where they stand afterwards, now that's taken care of comes the moves

@Gordsie The feeling around the Flyers right now seems to be this is an all-in season, expect a lot of action and going for big names.

@AnthonyMingioni The one constant I have been told over the past few days is the Flyers are willing to add a piece whether it be ...

@AnthonyMingioni Read or even Couturier to help unload Meszaros in the prospect of getting something back in return to help this year.

Rich Smith @ALLsportsINTEL 22m

Flyers still dangling Coburn, however the Flyers would have to get back a return that would help the team this season.

Rich Smith @ALLsportsINTEL 9m

From my sources Flyers are looking for a high goal scoring Forward, though if the opportunity to pick up a top Dman were to happen than yes

All I noticed was "mobile twitt" :lol:

• Like 1

How the heck do you go "all-in" with a team that missed the playoffs last season? The Bruins could go all in and it would make sense. Ditto Pittsburgh or LA. But not a team that was a late season run away from a top five draft pick.

Sure you can. To me all-in means taking on maximum risk for maximum payoff. So if they sign the best FAs, mortgage some of the future for the "now", try to plug all the holes, however temporary, that sounds like an "all-in" type of move.

Not necessarily a smart move, but what do we know? ;)

EDIT: I'll even add that all of Pittsburgh's moves at the deadline were called "all-in" by the media. To me, that's not it at all. What risk did they take? They barely traded away anything of value to get what they believed were better and more valuable pieces. All-in necessarily involves a maximum degree of risk.

Is Snider actually dying? If so, MUCH darker times could be ahead depending on who takes over.

Oh where is the Jedi to prevent such take over from the Dark Side of the Force?

All joking aside, has this team not learned a damm thing? Seriously we have gone down this road before and it brings us nothing but heartache. Where is the plan to develop our younger players. This team is nowhere close to be a SC contender. Why do we always have to "go all in?" To appeal to the masses and fatten Ed's bank account?

If by going all in means sacrificing our younger players I am going to be royally pisssed.

Edited by pilldoc
  • Like 1

Oh where is the Jedi to prevent such take over from the Dark Side of the Force?

All joking aside, has this team not learned a damm thing? Seriously we have gone down this road before and it brings us nothing but heartache. Where is the plan to develop our younger players. This team is nowhere close to be a SC contender. Why do we always have to "go all in?" To appeal to the masses and fatten Ed's bank account?

If by going all in means sacrificing our younger players I am going to be royally pisssed.

Me too.

Couturier for Bogosian, I can live with. Couturier for, say, Yandle would be more typical.

Is it noon yet?

. Couturier for, say, Yandle would be more typical.

Is it noon yet?

and that my friend would be the Homer we all love and hate....his M.O. = overpayment! Gonna need to go stock up on the antacid of my choice.. ------> Pepcid / Maalox / Tums / Prilosec ..that should cover me for awhile :)

I don't want Yandle, or to be like PHX or CBJ. I think the Flyers aren't getting due credit for their development of young players either. They do give up quickly, but the organization probably doesn't think the fan base has the patience for a scrap and overhaul. And I would agree with that. That said, look at the ages of the Flyers' players the last few seasons. Some might be surprised at the NHL level youth. The farm gets depleted when the kids grow up a bit.

I don't want Yandle, or to be like PHX or CBJ. I think the Flyers aren't getting due credit for their development of young players either. They do give up quickly, but the organization probably doesn't think the fan base has the patience for a scrap and overhaul. And I would agree with that. That said, look at the ages of the Flyers' players the last few seasons. Some might be surprised at the NHL level youth. The farm gets depleted when the kids grow up a bit.

That's true... since the Carter/Richards days, we have given youth a real kick at the can. Basically, since Hitch left ;)

In that vein, why go after a guy like Stalberg and dish out a big contract for marginal production, when you can try out a much cheaper, organizational player such as Cousins or Straka?

I don't want Yandle, or to be like PHX or CBJ. I agree

I think the Flyers aren't getting due credit for their development of young players either. I agree

They do give up quickly, but the organization probably doesn't think the fan base has the patience for a scrap and overhaul. And I would agree with that. I disagree. Management might think that, because that's the way they think. I heard the same thing around here about the Leafs. No way the fans will put up with a rebuild. Ten years later, zero playoff appearances and sellouts every...single...game, they finally look like they're on the way up.

That said, look at the ages of the Flyers' players the last few seasons. Some might be surprised at the NHL level youth. The farm gets depleted when the kids grow up a bit. Most of our forwards are under the age of 25. I don't care if the farm is depleted, as long as there are young players on the team. That means they made it, which is what your farm is all about. We still have Laughton on the way up at forward, and I think he's going to be one of the best 3rd line centers in the league in a few years. That may not sound like much, but ask Chicago if they're glad they lost Bolland. And finally, FINALLY, we have not one, but two pretty good looking defensive prospects. The cupboard isn't bare. And if Holmgren would learn to keep his top picks, it never will be.

those "tweets" (or whatever the hell they are) sound like the Flyers are still operating under the same "we're just a few pieces away" mentality. I can understand the desperation to move Meszaros - we'll have to package *somebody* with him...and yeah I know we're kind of stocked at center but dammit does it have to be Couturier?

those "tweets" (or whatever the hell they are) sound like the Flyers are still operating under the same "we're just a few pieces away" mentality. I can understand the desperation to move Meszaros - we'll have to package *somebody* with him...and yeah I know we're kind of stocked at center but dammit does it have to be Couturier?

It really depends on whether or not the 'plan' is to have Schenn on wing or at center.

And if you move Couturier and keep Schenn at center, does it *really* make sense to have Schenn as 3rd line center??? I would think not.

well unlike many of you I don't mind seeing Schenn on the wing. I don't for a minute believe it will "stunt" or hurt his growth as an NHL player. So I'd put Schenn alongside Vinny on the 2nd line with Simmonds and let Couturier center the 3rd line.

btw what's with Knuble? Did he (hopefully) hang 'em up or what?

• Like 1

I don't understand.... How can they go "all-in" if they have no cap space left? Not that I htink they *need* to do anything at this point other than adding a good goalie, which they have no cap space for right now.

well unlike many of you I don't mind seeing Schenn on the wing. I don't for a minute believe it will "stunt" or hurt his growth as an NHL player. So I'd put Schenn alongside Vinny on the 2nd line with Simmonds and let Couturier center the 3rd line.

btw what's with Knuble? Did he (hopefully) hang 'em up or what?

Yeah, I agree... and like many said, it should be a long-term experiment. Not the typical "well, it didn't work after 15 games, so we're moving Schenn back to center" kinda thing.

Yeah, I agree... and like many said, it should be a long-term experiment. Not the typical "well, it didn't work after 1.5 games shifts, so we're moving Schenn back to center" kinda thing.

Fixed it for you.

:ph34r:

• Like 2

I don't know how not having a quality #1 goaltender and no prospects of signing one puts them in a position to go "all in" this season. In this case all in means more young talent squandered and shipped off for more bloated old guy contracts. Same as it ever was.