The defense is fine

Watching the end of last season the defense is much better with the youngins. Yea they will make mistakes but they proved they can do it. Amazing what happens when you have a guy in net that you do not say F that is going in when you make a mistake.

Having Gus up on a full time basis will help but I still suspect that our defense will be slightly below average. I think we can expect more offense from our defense but I more concerned with our own end of the ice...

Let's hope injuries are at a minimum or if could get ugly... As far as young kids Gus is the only one that will see time with the big club.. Ollie will be in the Ahl... Barring injury of course

Edited by murraycraven

@murraycraven It's funny, the only time the Flyers defense stood out and looked impressive for multiple games in a row was at the end when 4 of our 6 regulars were hurt. The part that sucks is the cap makes it impossible to ice the very best Flyer defense we can. For me, Oliver and Gus should both play next year, but that won't happen without injuries or trades taking place. I'm not knocking Coburn, I know what he brings, but was it coincidence that we looked far better without him? He's the most likely to go, because he can bring the most value in a trade and his cap hit is not humongeous, but it would be nice to shed it also.

• Like 1

What is the deal with all these players leaving Devils, b/c they are home sick?

1 . Praise : home sick

2.Kovulchuk: home sick

3. Brent Shutter: home sick

Do people in NJ make you feel ........?!

Watching the end of last season the defense is much better with the youngins. Yea they will make mistakes but they proved they can do it. Amazing what happens when you have a guy in net that you do not say F that is going in when you make a mistake.

I like the signings of Lauridsen and Gustafsson, but when the season starts where are "the youngins" playing?

Timonen (NMC)

Streit

Schenn

Coburn (modified NTC)

Meszaros

Grossmann (modified NTC)

I do expect a move or two, but Lauridsen is going to spend a lot of time in the A barring injury and there's a question as to whether Gus is going to get even 2nd PP time with both Timo and Streit on the roster. I don't see them dealing Schenn, having done the "reunite the brothers" thing.

@radoran I would be shocked if they moved either Schenn in the next 2-3 years unless they aren't living up to expectations.

Both will be solid players if their allowed to develop.

I also have to believe that, given that Gervais played 35 games last season, Lavvy's going to lean in his direction over two young guys - although with no re-entry waivers Homer'd be best served stashing him in the A to start the season.

I would actually prefer to see more of Gus and Lauridsen, but I'm not sanguine about the possibility of it happening.

I also have to believe that, given that Gervais played 35 games last season, Lavvy's going to lean in his direction over two young guys - although with no re-entry waivers Homer'd be best served stashing him in the A to start the season.

I would actually prefer to see more of Gus and Lauridsen, but I'm not sanguine about the possibility of it happening.

Rad, the big problem is that MAB and Gus both really have to stay up with the club. I don't think they'd sneak through waivers to start the season in the AHL. So you almost have to waive Gervais down. And even then, you're carrying 8 defencemen on your active roster.

Remember, too, that Gus was hurt at the beginning of the season, and Lavy was playing him more minutes than anyone but Schenn at the end, even before Gervais got hurt. I think he trusts Gus.

I also have to believe that, given that Gervais played 35 games last season, Lavvy's going to lean in his direction over two young guys

If Lavy does this he needs to be shot...period! Gervais brings nothing to the team...NOTHING!

His minutes should go to Gus. Gervais will/should be waived and hidden in the A.

They will get all of his salary in relief...which they'll need.

Kimmo/Coburn

Schenn/Gus

GrossmanN/Sreit

Mezz trade bait/cap relief...Ollie in the A.

Phantoms:

Ollie/Manniing

Alt/Bourdon

Lamarche/Konan

Hostetter/Eddy...ECHL?

Rad, the big problem is that MAB and Gus both really have to stay up with the club. I don't think they'd sneak through waivers to start the season in the AHL. So you almost have to waive Gervais down. And even then, you're carrying 8 defencemen on your active roster.

Remember, too, that Gus was hurt at the beginning of the season, and Lavy was playing him more minutes than anyone but Schenn at the end, even before Gervais got hurt. I think he trusts Gus.

That's why I think a deal is on the way. Mesz is the obvious choice (no NTC, last year of contract) but Coburn might work, too.

Here's a wild and crazy thought - Streit can play forward...

Rad, the big problem is that MAB and Gus both really have to stay up with the club

Yeah i kind of forgot about this issue...Wellwood has to be carried too...So that is 3 that needs to be fitted in...Gus will dress Bourdon and Weelwood will be scratches....till healthy.

Or the Flyers will chance and risk waiving them...

I like the signings of Lauridsen and Gustafsson, but when the season starts where are "the youngins" playing?

Timonen (NMC)

Streit

Schenn

Coburn (modified NTC)

Meszaros

Grossmann (modified NTC)

Homer did not give Streit a full NMC with his deal, WTF? Homer must have let John Paddock process the paperwork for that signing :)