Flyers' 2013-2014 schedule

Guest brelic

At Habs @ 7pm on Saturday, then fly to Carolina for a 5pm game on Sunday.

16 of 21 games from November 25th to January 7th are away.

If there ever was a time to fire Lavy it would be during that. Going to be an interesting season.

@Howie58

first thoughts without looking too much into it.....

1) Flyers have 2 six game road trips at the beginning and end of December

2) Flyers only have 4 home games in December?

3) Conversly Flyers only have 4 road games in March

4) Flyers finish up the season 5 out 8 on the road

5) Iam very curious to see how the Olympic layover is going to affect this club

thanks for posting @Howie58

At Habs @ 7pm on Saturday, then fly to Carolina for a 5pm game on Sunday.

16 of 21 games from November 25th to January 7th are away.

If there ever was a time to fire Lavy it would be during that. Going to be an interesting season.

yeah I noticed that too before the topics got merged. I posted something similiar in the other thread which is listed below. Also we play the last 5 out of 8 game of the season on the road. May or may not be a good thing if they are fighting for a PO spot.

Pretty unoriginal division names, including a terrible "Metropolitan" division for the Flyers. The names aren't even geographically correct (Detroit in the "Atlantic"??? Seriously??? Edmonton, Calgary, and Phoenix are Pacific teams?)

Call me crazy, but if the geography doesn't "fit", then pick names that do fit, and that honour the game of hockey. You know, names like Smythe, Patrick, Adams... or more modern ones like Gretzky, Orr, Roy, whatever.

Really, anything would be better than these names.

@brelic The division names should be created by the fans for the fans. Set up a website and let fans vote for the players that will be represent their divisions. Very fan freindly, interactive and the fans will always fondly look back at how they helped create the new division names. Might be a bit unfair, because the fans with the bigger fan base could beat out smaller cities. For instance, the Dave Keon division would have more votes due to the large size of Toronto in relation to Ottawa etc.

This is a missed opportunity by the league, they need to get with the modern era and let fans interact as much as possible. They could even do battles, (like they did with the cover of the NHL video game) like Gordie Howe vs Dave Keon etc....and make it so a player advances to another round. The Bobby Clarke div against Darryl Sittler etc. People would be doing there utmost to have their stars represent their new divison. Canada would go ape **** over this...it would get huge press and millions and millions of free advertising.

• Like 2

Wait, you guys are serious? Metropolitan? Who the **** makes these decisions? Fire all the things!

Seriously, heads need to roll.

A, B, C, and D would be better. And naming them groups instead of divisions. Not saying that's a good idea, just not as terrible.

Why not dig up those Guardians again while they are at it?

@doom88 "Why not dig up those Guardians again while they are at it"

HA HA....the friggin Guardians....what a monumental FLOP that was, how did they ever think that would work, superhero's representing each team, all with different powers. Even the hard core comic geeks didn't get behind this, how did they think the average Joe Shmoe would enjoy this?? Even the 2 minute video was lame, with the super villian threatening to create havoc.....LMAO.

@brelic The division names should be created by the fans for the fans. Set up a website and let fans vote for the players that will be represent their divisions. Very fan freindly, interactive and the fans will always fondly look back at how they helped create the new division names. Might be a bit unfair, because the fans with the bigger fan base could beat out smaller cities. For instance, the Dave Keon division would have more votes due to the large size of Toronto in relation to Ottawa etc.

This is a missed opportunity by the league, they need to get with the modern era and let fans interact as much as possible. They could even do battles, (like they did with the cover of the NHL video game) like Gordie Howe vs Dave Keon etc....and make it so a player advances to another round. The Bobby Clarke div against Darryl Sittler etc. People would be doing there utmost to have their stars represent their new divison. Canada would go ape **** over this...it would get huge press and millions and millions of free advertising.

Totally agree, jammer. The names are really not much different from what we had before, and the addition of "Metropolitan" is just.. well... strange.

Anyway, bottom line, they should be names that are meaningful. And meaningful to fans. Geography is certainly one way to go... but there's so many teams in each 'division' that geography doesn't make sense anymore.

It won't stop me from watching, of course.. but there was something pretty cool about being in the "Patrick" division as opposed to the "Atlantic" or "Metropolitan" division.

All in the name of attracting fairweather fans, right?

6) We now play in the "Metropolitan" Division :rolleyes:

I hereby suggest we just call it the "Metro" division from here on out....that's a little easier to take.

Good news is, how often do you really refer to the divisions? Prob not much.

Edited by Cheesesteak

There is something else about this schedule that will be interesting: the high proportion of out-of-conference games. I've always felt Homer and Company build the team for strength/size while the West goes for speed/skill, and we are worse off. Now over a third of the schedule is out West. This is going to be a style match-up.

I also wonder about the Metro division. OK, the name is bad. But this is a lot less boring. I think a rejuvenated Columbus will be an interesting opponent. I like having an Acela match-up versus Washington. And God only knows we see too much of Brodeur (thought that squad may be heading south) and the rags.

So folks, all in, this schedule adds variety. And I think it brings Homer's design model under scrutiny.

Peace, and I suspect the end of the month will bring the next shoe to drop....is Mez going to be cleared or does he really ever see a day of action...

Howie