Who's going to win the Pacific in 2013-14?

Guest JR Ewing

9 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the Pacific?

• Oilers
    • Edmonton
    • Taylor Hall
    • Edmonton Oilers

@JR Ewing ...ah, the Oilers of the 80s...still love it so....& I don't care what people say about Fuhr, watching some of his saves was a thing of beauty...& WITHOUT all the premium stuffing the G's have in today's game! They actually had to 'move' to cover the net! haha... ;)

Very nice poll, lol

IMHO it will be the Kings, but this is one brutally tough division, the Kings at the top of their game, teams on the rise like the Ducks and the Oilers, the best coached 'bad team' in the game in the Yotes and two long in the tooth but still deadly teams in the Nucks and Sharks. Of course you have the hopeless Flames, but there is always one isn't there?

As of now, barring last minute trades or signings, my division order would go like this:

1. Kings

2. Sharks

3. Canucks

4. Ducks

5. Oilers

6. Yotes

7. St. Mary's school for the blind and deaf

8. Flamers

@JR Ewing ...ah, the Oilers of the 80s...still love it so....& I don't care what people say about Fuhr, watching some of his saves was a thing of beauty...& WITHOUT all the premium stuffing the G's have in today's game! They actually had to 'move' to cover the net! haha... ;)

Oh, Fuhr was a splendid athlete, and one of the flashiest goalies of all time. It doesn't make you great, but it sure as hell was fun to watch. My favorites were when he'd take a routine stop, but dramatically flash the leather, throw his leg out, and fall in a heap. He'd do that with even the softest muffin from the blueline, and make it look like an Al MacInnis blast.

JR

Very nice poll, lol

IMHO it will be the Kings, but this is one brutally tough division, the Kings at the top of their game, teams on the rise like the Ducks and the Oilers, the best coached 'bad team' in the game in the Yotes and two long in the tooth but still deadly teams in the Nucks and Sharks. Of course you have the hopeless Flames, but there is always one isn't there?

As of now, barring last minute trades or signings, my division order would go like this:

1. Kings

2. Sharks

3. Canucks

4. Ducks

5. Oilers

6. Yotes

7. St. Mary's school for the blind and deaf

8. Flamers

That seems like a fair enough grouping to me. I definitely won't be surprised if the Ducks take a step back from where they were last year. They were a possession negative team with a high shooting percentage and save percentage... AKA a lot of puck luck, and that tends to regress heavily to the mean.

I'm guessing that a market correction is coming.

JR

@JR Ewing

LOL...nice poll. You and jammer should get along fine - he's our resident Spitfire fan and watched Hall throughout his junior career. I learned to respect him a lot in the finals against my Colts when I had seats beside Windsors bench. That kid couldn't breath when he'd come off a shift, he literally left it all out there on the ice.

@JR Ewing

LOL...nice poll. You and jammer should get along fine - he's our resident Spitfire fan and watched Hall throughout his junior career. I learned to respect him a lot in the finals against my Colts when I had seats beside Windsors bench. That kid couldn't breath when he'd come off a shift, he literally left it all out there on the ice.

a] That's what she said.

b] Yeah, I'm definitely a Taylor Hall fan. Wonderful young player, and as you said he leaves it all on the ice.

JR

@JR Ewing

Just read the tail end of the Krueger thread and saw you and jammer already in full "Taylor Hall" discussions.

Yeah, it was a regular Taylor Hall love in. If he played in a major Eastern market, and not the NHL's version of Siberia, there'd be WAY more noise and news about him.

JR

haha,

I thought the Sharks would be an option.

I think the Oilers have made some nice adustments this summer. Ference and Perron are huge additions.

I see the Pacific stacking up as:

1. Kings

2. Sharks

3. Ducks

4. Oilers

5. Canucks

6. Yotes

7. Flames

haha,

I thought the Sharks would be an option.

Really? That seems strange.

I think the Oilers have made some nice adustments this summer. Ference and Perron are huge additions.

I see the Pacific stacking up as:

1. Kings

2. Sharks

3. Ducks

4. Oilers

5. Canucks

6. Yotes

7. Flames

The Oilers still don't have that elusive top defenseman unless Justin Schultz makes a step, but that would a big step. Huge step; and one that you simply don't bet on.

Looks like you see the Canucks taking a bit of a tumble, eh?

JR

The Oilers still don't have that elusive top defenseman unless Justin Schultz makes a step, but that would a big step. Huge step; and one that you simply don't bet on.

Looks like you see the Canucks taking a bit of a tumble, eh?

I'd like to see what Ference does being a #1-2 d-man. But I still expect MacTavish to sign another veteran d-man FA there still are some decent choices remaining. Are the Oilers not signing Whitney?

And yeah, I expect to see the Canucks tumble, Luongo is a question mark even though I expect him to play. Players do quickly tire of Torts. And I just see them being beat by teams that have better speed....which includes the Oilers.

And yeah, I expect to see the Canucks tumble, Luongo is a question mark even though I expect him to play. Players do quickly tire of Torts. And I just see them being beat by teams that have better speed....which includes the Oilers.

I expect Torts will fire up a lackadaisical, 'country club' team at the beginning & maybe get some worthy effort out of them...but as usual, & with the help of a backfiring of Torts & speedier teams like HF said, we will peter out come playoff time, or out in the 1st round. And some of you have more faith in our team than even I do...I'm leaning towards placing the Oilers above the 'Nucks, fresh coaching that knows how to bring out the best of a young team combined with the speed of their top lines, not to mention the new additions Ference & Perron.

I'd like to see what Ference does being a #1-2 d-man. But I still expect MacTavish to sign another veteran d-man FA there still are some decent choices remaining. Are the Oilers not signing Whitney?

I'm pretty sure that Ference won't be top pairing. My guess, based on today's roster:

Smid / Petry

Ference / J Schultz

After that, it's the logjam at 5/6. Ference probably only gets top pairing minutes if Smid is hurt. I once saw Ladislav Smid break his own nose running himself, completely unassisted, into the glass, so anything is possible.

JR

@JR Ewing Ference looks like the perfect kinda partner for Schultz.....a nice veteran stabilizing influence that can cover major gaffes and hang back when Nick head's for the net, creating plenty of odd man rush's for the Oil. They would be crazy to *not* pair him with Ference, it would be the best possible thing for his development.

@JR Ewing Ference looks like the perfect kinda partner for Schultz.....a nice veteran stabilizing influence that can cover major gaffes and hang back when Nick head's for the net, creating plenty of odd man rush's for the Oil. They would be crazy to *not* pair him with Ference, it would be the best possible thing for his development.

Yes, especially since he and Nick Schultz (who was very prone to bad pinches) didn't work out together.

JR

I'm going with the Sharks...

....Oliers defense reminds me of a Bobby Clarke (and some may say Homer too) assembled defenses, just a bunch of decent parts from the bargain bin.

Schultz, Petry and Klefbom are good building pieces to start with.

But i think there is a trade coming explaining the collection i think...

I'm going with the Sharks...

....Oliers defense reminds me of a Bobby Clarke (and some may say Homer too) assembled defenses, just a bunch of decent parts from the bargain bin.

Schultz, Petry and Klefbom are good building pieces to start with.

But i think there is a trade coming explaining the collection i think...

There's so many defensemen, it seems like it's gotta be happening.

JR