Your Underrated Players

Guest yave1964

Who are some of the most underrated players in the game today?

On my Short list is a guy named Kyle Wellwood, a nice little player who has a crisp pass and is usually a 40 point or so player but for some reason always has to wait for someone to have a preseason injury to find a job. I remember an announcer saying he skated as if he were in mud once, so obviously he has holes in his game but forty plus points fairly consistently and always begging for a job.

The other guy who comes to mind is Matt Moulson. Does anyone even know he scored 30 plus goals three years in a row for the Islanders no less? I cannot think of any other three time 30 goal scorer in the game today who gets less ink. The dude has a nose for the net and nobody notices. This guy actually was drafted by the Penguins, signed as a minor league free agent by the Kings, given a little shot and released by the Kings before getting his first real shot with the Isles in 2009-10 at the age of 26. He defines underrated.

Those are mine, what say you?

Who are some of the most underrated players in the game today?

On my Short list is a guy named Kyle Wellwood, a nice little player who has a crisp pass and is usually a 40 point or so player but for some reason always has to wait for someone to have a preseason injury to find a job. I remember an announcer saying he skated as if he were in mud once, so obviously he has holes in his game but forty plus points fairly consistently and always begging for a job.

The other guy who comes to mind is Matt Moulson. Does anyone even know he scored 30 plus goals three years in a row for the Islanders no less? I cannot think of any other three time 30 goal scorer in the game today who gets less ink. The dude has a nose for the net and nobody notices. This guy actually was drafted by the Penguins, signed as a minor league free agent by the Kings, given a little shot and released by the Kings before getting his first real shot with the Isles in 2009-10 at the age of 26. He defines underrated.

Those are mine, what say you?

Not sure if I would have Wellwood there. By all accounts, he has the talent to be much more than he is. granted, I did not mind him on a lower line role with the Sharks, but i also was not clammoring to keep him.

A year ago I would have said Suter, but now everyone knows how good he is. I used to think Bergeron was underrated, but a lot of people are hip to the guy now. Damn great player he is.

@J0e Th0rnton "Not sure if I would have Wellwood there. By all accounts, he has the talent to be much more than he is. granted, I did not mind him on a lower line role with the Sharks, but i also was not clammoring to keep him."

I don't want to be overly critical of yave's pick, but Kyle is from my hometown, (former Spitfire also) he's well known for dogging it, flat out being lazy and yes, not getting enough out of his God given talent. Every summer the Windsor Star publishes a pool side pic of Kyle with a beer belly, living it up at poolside...it's like a rite of passage or something....lol. Super talented guy, but wow, he has never learned to bear down and work. He has top 6 talent but has never responded to his many coaches prodding.

@J0e Th0rnton "Not sure if I would have Wellwood there. By all accounts, he has the talent to be much more than he is. granted, I did not mind him on a lower line role with the Sharks, but i also was not clammoring to keep him."

I don't want to be overly critical of yave's pick, but Kyle is from my hometown, (former Spitfire also) he's well known for dogging it, flat out being lazy and yes, not getting enough out of his God given talent. Every summer the Windsor Star publishes a pool side pic of Kyle with a beer belly, living it up at poolside...it's like a rite of passage or something....lol. Super talented guy, but wow, he has never learned to bear down and work. He has top 6 talent but has never responded to his many coaches prodding.

That may help explain why he is always looking for a job in September. I just never understood why such a solid third liner is always looking for work (still unsigned today).

Not sure if I would have Wellwood there. By all accounts, he has the talent to be much more than he is. granted, I did not mind him on a lower line role with the Sharks, but i also was not clammoring to keep him.

A year ago I would have said Suter, but now everyone knows how good he is. I used to think Bergeron was underrated, but a lot of people are hip to the guy now. Damn great player he is.

I really wasn't looking for the Suter or Bergerons of the world. Hell you could find Penguin fans who feel that Crosby is underrated if you are using the star system. I was thinking more along the lines of guys that never get the ink. Guys like Slava Voynov come to my mind instinctively, you could actually make the case for him over Doughty, or underrated puck mover Nick Leddy. The Blues have this little pain in the rear shut down fourth liner named Vladimir Sobotka who never gets press who is just a great team player. And Boyd Gordon who just signed with the Oilers used to almost play inside of Datsyuk's jersey when we played against the Yotes, I hate playing him but respect his game. That is why I mentioned Wellwood, but my good buddy jammer2 set me straight on why he cannot hold a job so I am off him.

Interpretation of "underrated" is the key here. I wouldn't say Voynov is underrated as a 23yr old. He had a great season last year and signed an appropriate new contract. Are other young players who have that next break-out season also underrated? IMO, it is easier to choose underrated players from the weaker teams. Kopecky and Gudbranson of the Panthers, Ruutu of the Hurricanes, Nielson of the Islanders. Silferberg now with the Ducks. are a few that come to mind for me. Add Emery to that list as well.

• Like 1

I'll take a crack...jammer2's all underrated Ontario team!

Daniel Paille: One of the leagues best checkers, just brings it every night. Tough Ontario kid from Welland. Was on both of Guelph's Memorial Cup teams in the early 2000's. Really stepped it up in this years playoffs, netting 3 game winners and nine total points from his 4th line position. Had a career high 19 goals for the Sabres in 2008, have never figured out why the Sabres would have let him go, Buffalo's loss was Boston's gain.

Bryan Bickell: The Beast from Bowmanville, Ont tore it up in the playoffs for the Champion Hawks. Terrific snarl to his game and skates better than he gets credit for. The former Spitfire had 17 pts in 23 playoff games this past spring, including 2 game winners. Played on Ottawa's 2006 Memorial cup team. Gives no ground in front of the net, at 6'4 and 235 pounds a load for opposing d men to handle.

Jamie McGinn: The Fergus, Ont native is a budding power forward. Fantastic work ethic and a great teammate, he is poised for a break out year in 2013. Was Bickell's teammate on the 06 Ottawa 67's team that went to the Memorial Cup.

Jake Muzzin: The Kings young d-man broke into the NHL last year and supplied a lot of hard work and some surprising offense from his 3rd pairing minutes. The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound and Woodstock, Ont native has no where to go but up, should have a nice solid career, offensive numbers should keep trending upwards.

Adam Henrique: The Brantford, Ont native and former Windsor Spitfire is one of my favourite players to ever lace up skates. Elite skater with dynamic moves, he's destined to be an all star in the coming years. Played a major role in Windsor's back to back Memorial Cup Championship squads in 09 and 2010. In the 2010 OHL playoffs, he netted 20 goals in 19 games including 2 series winning goals and 4 OT goals total. Has terrific vision and hands. 17 pts in 10 career Memorial Cup games. Regressed a bit last year, I'm expecting a 25 goal season from him next year.

Dan Girardi: Another hard nosed Welland, Ont native, Dan plays a nice composed all round game. Broke in with Barrie, played on Memorial Cup teams in London and Guelph. One of Canada's underrated gems, he never gets talked about enough, but plays a super smooth transition game, kills penalties with vigor and is one of the best passers in the game. Super smart guy, a rink rat if there ever was one.

Jay McClement: He might just be the best checking center in the NHL. Great on draws, suburb penalty killer, perfect defensive positioning. The former Brampton Batallion center from Kingston does not get enough press, his work ethic is beyond reproach. Consistantly shuts down the oppositons best forwards with little to no fanfare, even in the hockey crazy city of Toronto he gets lost in the shuffle.

• Like 1

@jammer2

Yeah Girardi came to mind but it is hard to say anyone playing in the apple is short press, lol. Thanks for setting me straight on Wellwood, for the life of me I have never understood until now why he takes forever to get a job.

@yave1964 I only know about Kyle because he's from my hometown, he's kinda infamous for his lacklustre play around here. Kinda sad actually, one of those guys who is just happy making a mill a year and shows no interest in honing his craft. Some call his brother Eric the anti-Kyle because their playing styles are so different...ha ha.

I'll take a crack...jammer2's all underrated Ontario team!

Daniel Paille: One of the leagues best checkers, just brings it every night. Tough Ontario kid from Welland. Was on both of Guelph's Memorial Cup teams in the early 2000's. Really stepped it up in this years playoffs, netting 3 game winners and nine total points from his 4th line position. Had a career high 19 goals for the Sabres in 2008, have never figured out why the Sabres would have let him go, Buffalo's loss was Boston's gain.

Bryan Bickell: The Beast from Bowmanville, Ont tore it up in the playoffs for the Champion Hawks. Terrific snarl to his game and skates better than he gets credit for. The former Spitfire had 17 pts in 23 playoff games this past spring, including 2 game winners. Played on Ottawa's 2006 Memorial cup team. Gives no ground in front of the net, at 6'4 and 235 pounds a load for opposing d men to handle.

Jamie McGinn: The Fergus, Ont native is a budding power forward. Fantastic work ethic and a great teammate, he is poised for a break out year in 2013. Was Bickell's teammate on the 06 Ottawa 67's team that went to the Memorial Cup.

Jake Muzzin: The Kings young d-man broke into the NHL last year and supplied a lot of hard work and some surprising offense from his 3rd pairing minutes. The former Sault Ste. Marie Greyhound and Woodstock, Ont native has no where to go but up, should have a nice solid career, offensive numbers should keep trending upwards.

Adam Henrique: The Brantford, Ont native and former Windsor Spitfire is one of my favourite players to ever lace up skates. Elite skater with dynamic moves, he's destined to be an all star in the coming years. Played a major role in Windsor's back to back Memorial Cup Championship squads in 09 and 2010. In the 2010 OHL playoffs, he netted 20 goals in 19 games including 2 series winning goals and 4 OT goals total. Has terrific vision and hands. 17 pts in 10 career Memorial Cup games. Regressed a bit last year, I'm expecting a 25 goal season from him next year.

Dan Girardi: Another hard nosed Welland, Ont native, Dan plays a nice composed all round game. Broke in with Barrie, played on Memorial Cup teams in London and Guelph. One of Canada's underrated gems, he never gets talked about enough, but plays a super smooth transition game, kills penalties with vigor and is one of the best passers in the game. Super smart guy, a rink rat if there ever was one.

Jay McClement: He might just be the best checking center in the NHL. Great on draws, suburb penalty killer, perfect defensive positioning. The former Brampton Batallion center from Kingston does not get enough press, his work ethic is beyond reproach. Consistantly shuts down the oppositons best forwards with little to no fanfare, even in the hockey crazy city of Toronto he gets lost in the shuffle.

Oh how I wish everyone on the Sharks had his energy and work ethic and physicality at all times.

That being said, I do not think he will ever be a top 6 forward or break 40 points. His hockey IQ is just not great and his hands do not match his skating. His ceiling to me, if he ever hit it, would be a third line forward

Excellent physical and energy line player though and he cycles the puck very well.

Granted if he is given icetime and PP time, he might just pull a Darcy Tucker and have 1 great year.

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

Pretty hard to be "under-rated" in this day in age... so much media... so much exposure, it's hard NOT to get coverage...

Jiri Tlusty for sure... he was such a scrub on Toronto... didn't he get busted for sexting his weiner or something?? He lit it up last year without much acclaim.

I guess Seidenberg/Ference do a pretty darn good job in Boston without too much hype.

Simmonds/Voracek maybe

@J0e Th0rnton I see something there with McGinn, he may be a late blooming 24 year old. I still think he pops in 20-25 next year, depending on linemates, at least we know he'll have a good center, huh? He might just get paired with McKinnon, which would make 2/3's of a pretty fast and explosive line.

@yave1964

Moulson does benefit from playing with Tavares. Put him with Kyle Wellwood and he's scoring half that many...maybe.

I'll go with Matt Read on Philly. The guy can flat out fly, he plays anywhere on any line at the forward position, works his butt off, forchecks, backchecks..,. In his first two seasons, without regular linemates, he's scored 24 and 11 in the shortened season while making 800 grand. He's the first name most Flyer fans offer up in trade proposals, especially if Bobby Ryan is coming back...who's scored 7 more goals in the last 2 seasons playing with Getzlaf and Perry and making OVER 6X what Read does. I guess being born in Ilderton is a huge negative. Put Read with Getzlaf and Perry and you're likely looking at a perrenial 35-40 goal scorer. Heck let him play with Giroux and Voracek. I just don't get why the guy he's thrown in to almost every trade proposal.

If he played on another team, Flyer fans would be making up all kinds of ways to get him to Philly.

@yave1964

Moulson does benefit from playing with Tavares. Put him with Kyle Wellwood and he's scoring half that many...maybe.

I'll go with Matt Read on Philly. The guy can flat out fly, he plays anywhere on any line at the forward position, works his butt off, forchecks, backchecks..,. In his first two seasons, without regular linemates, he's scored 24 and 11 in the shortened season while making 800 grand. He's the first name most Flyer fans offer up in trade proposals, especially if Bobby Ryan is coming back...who's scored 7 more goals in the last 2 seasons playing with Getzlaf and Perry and making OVER 6X what Read does. I guess being born in Ilderton is a huge negative. Put Read with Getzlaf and Perry and you're likely looking at a perrenial 35-40 goal scorer. Heck let him play with Giroux and Voracek. I just don't get why the guy he's thrown in to almost every trade proposal.

If he played on another team, Flyer fans would be making up all kinds of ways to get him to Philly.

Gotta agree with you on Read. Kind of like Mouslon, came out of nowhere in his mid twenties to turn in to a hell of a hockey player. Works hard and earns his shifts. After taking so long to make it I don't see him taking too many shifts off.

@J0e Th0rnton I see something there with McGinn, he may be a late blooming 24 year old. I still think he pops in 20-25 next year, depending on linemates, at least we know he'll have a good center, huh? He might just get paired with McKinnon, which would make 2/3's of a pretty fast and explosive line.

Maybe. I kept waiting for his work ethic and experience to turn into something an the Sharks gave him chance after chance because of his work ethic, but just did not see it happen. Joe Thornton tends to bring out the best in people(See Ryane Clowe, Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo) and teach them how to use their skills, but McGinn even with some time up with Joe was just not finishing opportunities or incorporating learned skills. His hockey IQ and hands and anticipation will never match his skating and heart I think. I hope I am wrong. I just see his ceiling as 40 points tops.

@J0e Th0rnton This year will be a make or break year for McGinn. He's 24, been in the league for a while, he will have some nice linemates and in general he'll be playing with a decent offensive team. I believe his work ethic will keep him in the league even if turns out to be a 40 pt guy like you said, but if he ever wants to make the big money, he's gotta bury the puck with consistancy, starting this year. We shall see.

@flyercanuck

Agree 110% on Read. If I could take one Flyer to put on my Pens it would be him. He does what's asked game in and game out without a peep. And he produces at twice his pay rate.

As for my most underrated player... From the home team I go with Pascal Dupuis. The guy literally does it all. Both ends of the ice, scores, passes, penalty kills with the best of them, back checks, hustles every second out there... The Pens just awarded him a big contract but that's the first recognition he's ever received. He led the league in plus/minus, and played anywhere from first through third lines, with anybody. He had 20 goals in 48 games, and led the league at +31 for the season, while averaging only 17.5 minutes per game on the ice.

Yes he skates with Crosby (who had over 21 minutes per game), but Dupuis makes his own chances, and makes it difficult for his opponents. He was the true benefit in the Hossa trade.