Buffalo - Leafs wild Pre-Season Brawl

hf101

Didn't the Leafs have the last change? Why was Kessel's line out there at that time?
Scott should not have gone after Kessel to start with

Yes, I thought about that also with the last change.  Putting Kessel out there sent the message that the previous fight was over.  This is really not much different than the fourth line of the Penguins sent on the ice (Vitale) who took a cheap shot on Briere.  Which sent Laviolette off his rocker.

And yes the crowds love the fights.... they scream and cheer during a shootout also. ;)

I would rather see him get away from Scott without the slashing or man up and drop the gloves. It didn't take any time at all for Kessel's teammates to jump in to keep Scott away from Kessel. Had Kessel dropped the gloves, he would have gained a lot of respect from his teammates, other players, and hockey fans in general. Instead, he lost respect.

I understand your point, I just disagree. The 1st slash I could probably give him a pass on even though it was a 2 hander. But the 2nd slash is inexcusable. It was at the back of Scott's legs when Scott was tied up with 2 other Sabres. That, IMHO, was worse than the Crosby coin purse punch.

Completely agree with this. Carlyle had last change as the home team. He should have put out a tougher/bigger line. And Rolston should have kept Scott on the bench.

I would rather see him get away from Scott without the slashing or man up and drop the gloves. It didn't take any time at all for Kessel's teammates to jump in to keep Scott away from Kessel. Had Kessel dropped the gloves, he would have gained a lot of respect from his teammates, other players, and hockey fans in general. Instead, he lost respect.

I understand your point, I just disagree. The 1st slash I could probably give him a pass on even though it was a 2 hander. But the 2nd slash is inexcusable. It was at the back of Scott's legs when Scott was tied up with 2 other Sabres. That, IMHO, was worse than the Crosby coin purse punch.

Completely agree with this. Carlyle had last change as the home team. He should have put out a tougher/bigger line. And Rolston should have kept Scott on the bench.

Like I said, what Kessel did was dirty/cheap. I completely agree.

I respected Kelly Buchberger for being willing to fight Bob Probert so often, but it doesn't make it any less stupid for him to have done.    ;)

JR

"I tried to defuse the situation by putting Kessel, Bozak, and Ashton on the ice (against Scott's line), feeling that there was no threat to something and more carrying on, but obviously I was wrong," said Carlyle.

LOL...Brilliant move, Randy!

well... in theory, it should have worked. there was a time when the tough guys had respect for the skill players and didn't try to goon it up with them. i guess that time is OVER. while i don't particularly like Kessel and don't think much of him as he can be a cheapshot guy, I don't think he had too many options with a 6'8" guy bearing down on him like that. it was a reactionary play and i mean hey.. what are you gonna do when a beast is bearing down on you and all you have is a stick!? well,  you're gonna use it. that's all there is to it. 

Money quotes from teh Twitter:

"Your teammates are going, everyone is going, you've got to go." -Ryan Miller

"I agree with those who say John Scott was just doing his job. The problem is that his job is incredibly worthless." - @Katebits

Ha.  We shall see. I do not see how you can be so damn sure of that.  I mean, I will tell you we can beat Montreal and we know how to beat Boston also.  Go back and look up the head up vs Boston over the last 7 years.  Saying the Sabres have no chance to make it is just ridiculous.  I have not said that about the Flyers and they did not make it last year.  What makes you so damn sure they will make it?  One superstar?  Gireux?  He needs help.  You will basically have a similiar schedule to us I believe?  I do not know if the divisions exist any more?  So we probably play the Rangers and Isles as many times as you do and you probably play Boston and Montreal as many as we do?  If i am right?  Detroit is now in the mix.  Oh isnt that fun

Wrong.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9492759/nhl-releases-2013-14-schedule-new-division-names

In the East, clubs will play five games against two teams in the division and four games against five teams to make up 30 games of the schedule. Within the conference, teams will play three games against every team in the opposite division for a total of 24 games. The other 28 games will be played against the West.

Sabres are bottom four this season. Especially if they fight everyone that gets in the way. Relax in the bluster Junkie... The Sabres aren't some bruising intimidating lineup. They just need to play hockey!

and bragging about Miller in that fight? I counted nine straight punches that he blocked with his face. one of the biggest pansies in the game today.

Sabres are bottom four this season. Especially if they fight everyone that gets in the way. Relax in the bluster Junkie... The Sabres aren't some bruising intimidating lineup. They just need to play hockey!

Play hockey just like the pens and flyers did in 2012!

and bragging about Miller in that fight? I counted nine straight punches that he blocked with his face. one of the biggest pansies in the game today.

I just want to say face-blocking would be a perfectly legitimate strategy if he kept his freaking helmet on! Am I right?

Maybe the NHL is on to something....