Buffalo - Leafs wild Pre-Season Brawl

hf101

Here is the video folks:  lots to watch hard to describe.   :P   It really doesn't state what was the initial cause. ??

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/1008937/clip/0

Clarkson will get a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench.

John Scott goes after Kessel and he retaliates with deliberate slashes.  Suspension? 

Bernier got some good shots in on Miller.

This is a perfect example of why the league wants to keep helmets on during fights.

Not sure what Kessel was thinking with the stick.  Obviously he didn't want to fight Scott, but  those two handers are going to get a look. THen he comes back with stick later and gives Scott a little spear.  Will have to see what the cause of all that was.

Have to say, the video reminded me of something:   I hate the Sabres' uniforms.  Who was the genius who designed them with the built-in armpit stain looking thing under their arms?  Seriously, did a blind man design their uniforms? 

Have we done an off-season "vote for the best uniforms" thing?

Ridiculous to have a big team brawl like this on an exhibition game?? And then end up with suspensions to boot. Great way to start the season...not be there for your team, not due to injury but something as dumb as this! What are these guys thinking? Even the 'Nucks probably wouldn't do something this dumb...lol   :P

@ruxpin  I think the 'vote for best uniforms' is a fun idea..

This is a perfect example of why the league wants to keep helmets on during fights.

Well then what do you do about the visor/visor rule? Carlyle took the chicken **** approach after the Leaf player planted Rupp's head in the ice. It sure looked deliberate when you watch Rupp get taken to the ice.  Rupp may have instigated the fight and was a willing combatant but that was beyond bush league with the drive him into the ice with his forearm in his neck move.......

Well then what do you do about the visor/visor rule?

I think we had a thread about that awhile back.  Basically it becomes an extra penalty time for fighters.  It is the leagues way of removing themselves as liable from the head injuries to players who could maybe sue the NHL in the future.  This way they don't look like the bad guys as they take fighting out of the game.

Here is the video folks:  lots to watch hard to describe.   :P   It really doesn't state what was the initial cause. ??

http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=pipe42/latest/1/0/1008937/clip/0

Clarkson will get a 10 game suspension for leaving the bench.

John Scott goes after Kessel and he retaliates with deliberate slashes.  Suspension? 

Bernier got some good shots in on Miller.

I saw the game there was a fight just before that and the buffalo player got thrown to the ice, looked like he hit his head on the ice, that is what seemed to set scott off.

Carlyle is an idiot for putting Kessel on the ice after something like that happened.  Especially since I've read Scott was woofing at the Toronto bench before the shift.  ******* stupid.  

That being said Kessel has to get a few for the stick swing, and if not, for certainly coming back to spear Scott later in the scrap. 

Other than the initial head injury-this is a run of the mill donnybrook(Thanks, Gene Hart), as far as I'm concerned.  

My take...

-Good for Kessel. I mean it. I'm sure I'll be the only one who feels that way, but I do. All Kessel can do if he actually drops the gloves with Scott is get his face re-arranged. He stood up for himself with Scott in a way that he actually stood a chance withWould go a lot further to stopping that kind of crap from happening than having Colton Orr sitting on the bench 55 minutes a night. I have no issue with a player making himself as prickly and bumpy and unpleasant as is reasonably possible, particularly when a 5 minute per player is trying to kick his ass.

-I don't know much about Brian Flynn, but Kessel handled himself pretty well in that fight, though.

-I didn't come away from the initial fight with the impression that Devane purposely drove Tropp's head into the ice. Looked like he threw a punch while they were off balance and Tropp was falling. Unfortunate.

-People are wondering what Carlyle was thinking by not dressing Orr and his other useless goons. The real question to ask is why he put Kessel on the ice next to Scott when Scott was already clearly agitated.

-I know that David Clarkson was trying to defend a teammate, but getting himself suspended for ten games was really stupid. Hell, by the time he got over, there were already two Leafs on Scott, and Kessel had given himself enough space to get away.

-I'm not sure what point Bernier was trying to make by challenging Miller to fight.

-It's a good thing that fighting is in the game as a safety valve, and stops the nasty stuff from happening, eh? Eh?

Eh?

JR

Edited by JR Ewing

Carlyle is an idiot for putting Kessel on the ice after something like that happened.  Especially since I've read Scott was woofing at the Toronto bench before the shift.  ******* stupid.  

That being said Kessel has to get a few for the stick swing, and if not, for certainly coming back to spear Scott later in the scrap. 

Other than the initial head injury-this is a run of the mill donnybrook(Thanks, Gene Hart), as far as I'm concerned.  

Devane (sp?) was fine with the fight until the very end where he literally drove Rupp's head into the ice. It might not have been intentional but it sure looked it. Carlyle was absolutely insane to think putting Kessel on the ice against a very ticked off Scott was a "good" idea. I blame him Carlyle for the resulting donnybrook that ensued. Was the problem that after Devane was off the ice no one had enough grit to stand up to Scott? Clarkson left the bench but he did not seem to be to inclined to try Scott either. Not a big fan of the new rule about helemt removal. It is going to lead to a lot more laceration injuries(from visors) when the fights do occur and I still hate the instigator rule too........

My take...

-Good for Kessel. I mean it. I'm sure I'll be the only one who feels that way, but I do. All Kessel can do if he actually drops the gloves with Scott is get his face re-arranged. He stood up for himself with Scott in a way that he actually stood a chance withWould go a lot further to stopping that kind of crap from happening than having Colton Orr sitting on the bench 55 minutes a night. I have no issue with a player making himself as prickly and bumpy and unpleasant as is reasonably possible, particularly when a 5 minute per player is trying to kick his ass.

-I don't know much about Brian Flynn, but Kessel handled himself pretty well in that fight, though.

-I didn't come away from the initial fight with the impression that Devane purposely drove Tropp's head into the ice. Looked like he threw a punch while they were off balance and Tropp was falling. Unfortunate.

-People are wondering what Carlyle was thinking by not dressing Orr and his other useless goons. The real question to ask is why he put Kessel on the ice next to Scott when Scott was already clearly agitated.

-I know that David Clarkson was trying to defend a teammate, but getting himself suspended for ten games was really stupid. Hell, by the time he got over, there were already two Leafs on Scott, and Kessel had given himself enough space to get away.

-I'm not sure what point Bernier was trying to make by challenging Miller to fight.

-It's a good thing that fighting is in the game as a safety valve, and stops the nasty stuff from happening, eh? Eh?

Eh?

JR

THIS.  Every word.

Carlyle was absolutely insane to think putting Kessel on the ice against a very ticked off Scott was a "good" idea. I blame him Carlyle for the resulting donnybrook that ensued.

Reminded me a little of the players Hitchcock put out on the ice after the first line brawl in the Senators/Flyers brawl game.  In that case, I was glad he did because we ended up with a very entertaining circus.   

But in this case, if he puts someone out there that can fight, you have Scott vs. fighter and that's probably the beginning and end of it.

• Like 1

DOWN GOES SPEZZA!!!!!!DOWN GOES SPEZZA!!!....that still puts a smile on my face ;)

My daughter, who was roughly 5 at the time, still yells "Down goes Spezza" every time she hears the name.  Quite often yells it when ANY player goes down in a fight.

• Like 1

My take...

-Good for Kessel. I mean it. I'm sure I'll be the only one who feels that way, but I do. All Kessel can do if he actually drops the gloves with Scott is get his face re-arranged. He stood up for himself with Scott in a way that he actually stood a chance with

I completely and totally disagree with this.  The stick swinging was extremely dirty and dangerous.  Then for Kessel to go back and spear (even though it wasn't much of one) Scott when the linesman had Scott tied up shows how much of a p u s s y Kessel really is.

It looked like Tropp dropped the gloves first and got the 1st punch in against Devane.  I don't think Devane intentionally drove Tropp's head into the ice.  I'm not sure why the Sabres were so pissed off about that fight?!?  I don't agree with Scott being on the ice after that, let alone going after Kessel.  Both Coaches were stupid for who they had on the ice.

My opinion on what the suspensions should be:

Clarkson - Automatic 10 games for leaving the bench

Kessel - 5 games for the stick work (2 games for each slash and 1 for the spear)

Scott - 2 games for instigating the brawl (no previous discipline history)

Ron Rolston (Sabres coach) - $25K fine for sending Scott out to start the brawl

I completely and totally disagree with this.  The stick swinging was extremely dirty and dangerous.  Then for Kessel to go back and spear (even though it wasn't much of one) Scott when the linesman had Scott tied up shows how much of a p u s s y Kessel really is.

I think that Kessel had a limited set of options, one of which included dropping his gloves and getting his head kicked in. But yes, what he did was absolutely dirty, and I think that's undeniable, though I don't think it was very dangerous. He swung at Scott's ankle, and while he could have injured him, it's not as if he was swung at the man's head. To put it in another way, it's less dirty (imo) for Kessel to swing at Scott's ankle than it was for Scott to attempt to cave in Kessel's face, given the 8 inch and 70 pound size difference.

I guess what I'm saying is: I agree that what Kessel did was dirty. I just don't care. He shouldn't have been put in that position by Carlyle or Scott, and having Orr sit on the bench most of the night doesn't protect him as much as a well placed slash on a bum's ankle.

JR

Not sure what Kessel was thinking with the stick.  Obviously he didn't want to fight Scott, but  those two handers are going to get a look. THen he comes back with stick later and gives Scott a little spear.  Will have to see what the cause of all that was.

Exactly. While Kessel absolutely didn't have to fight Scott, there was no reasons for both two-handers and for the later spear.

My thoughts in a nutshell:

1. Didn't the Leafs have the last change? Why was Kessel's line out there at that time?
  2. Scott should not have gone after Kessel to start with
  3. Kessel did the right thing by backing away and not engage. He should be suspended for using his stick as a weapon... 3 times including a spear to the abdomen!
  4. I can't blame Clarkson for leaving the bench but then again, the blame is on Randy Carlyle for leaving that line on the ice.
  5. The instigator rule as we know it encourages cheap shots. Bring more accountability on the ice as the league simply cannot oversee everything.
  6. It's always fun to watch a good ol' goalie fight
  7. I'll spare you the "usefulness or not" of figthing, but those who want that aspect of the game out of the NHL really should pay close attention to the crowd while all of this was happening. Afterall, they are the paying fans.

I think that Kessel had a limited set of options, one of which included dropping his gloves and getting his head kicked in.

I would rather see him get away from Scott without the slashing or man up and drop the gloves. It didn't take any time at all for Kessel's teammates to jump in to keep Scott away from Kessel. Had Kessel dropped the gloves, he would have gained a lot of respect from his teammates, other players, and hockey fans in general. Instead, he lost respect.

He swung at Scott's ankle, and while he could have injured him, it's not as if he was swung at the man's head. To put it in another way, it's less dirty (imo) for Kessel to swing at Scott's ankle than it was for Scott to attempt to cave in Kessel's face, given the 8 inch and 70 pound size difference.

I understand your point, I just disagree. The 1st slash I could probably give him a pass on even though it was a 2 hander. But the 2nd slash is inexcusable. It was at the back of Scott's legs when Scott was tied up with 2 other Sabres. That, IMHO, was worse than the Crosby coin purse punch.

He shouldn't have been put in that position by Carlyle or Scott

Completely agree with this. Carlyle had last change as the home team. He should have put out a tougher/bigger line. And Rolston should have kept Scott on the bench.

This is nothing compared to the Senators-Canadiens series in the last last year's playoffs. Man, that was looking like some 1970's and 1980's hockey there! By the end of one game I saw they had like 4 Sens players on the bench and like 5 Habs players because the rest had been given game misconducts!.

Kessel was put in that position by Carlyle, reason he did not think scott would start anything with the kessel line. Kessel is taking chances when he starts swinging his stick for sure. Kessel did the same thing to Schenn and Holmstrom in another pre-season game

http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/flyers-3-maple-leafs-2-1.660944