Lavy out, Berube in

albertaflyer

Yup. Others agree.

Les Bowen ‏@LesBowen 7m

If you need to fire a coach three games into an NHL season, then you really needed to fire him last spring and you botched it.

I mean how can Mr Burns Snider look at this and think this is anything other than a complete cluster-f*$ck?   Homer must be drinking again b/c this is almost like something out of a sports fiction novel/movie.  

mr-burns-birthday-cake.jpg

Ah, nothing like a good old-fashioned scapegoating.

What hockey cliche will we hear going forward? Did Lavy "lose the room"? Is the OrganIzation looking to go "in a different direction"? Were the "gripping the sticks too tightly under Lavy"?

I can't imagine the nightmare that is working for Ed Snider.

Here's a quote from Jim Rutherford after he fired Lavi in Carolina:

"It's really not about the last four or five games," Rutherford said. "It's about changing to get the chemistry back on our team, to get the confidence back on our team and make what I would say minor adjustments in a system that really worked in the Stanley Cup year. But teams have adjusted to it, and our team hasn't adjusted over the last couple of years."

Edited by JackStraw
  • Like 1

"Okay, campers, rise and shine.                
Don't forget your booties because it's cold out there today.                  
It's cold out there every day.
But there's another reason why today is especially exciting.               
The big question on everybody's lips-                              
Do you think Phil will come out and see his shadow?
That's right, woodchuck chuckers.             
It's Groundhog Day!"

Because THIS TIME, a new coach will fix everything! 

When you take the position to be Flyers head coach, you might as well be standing in line with cows at a slaughter house!

When you take the position to be Flyers head coach, you might as well be standing in line with cows at a slaughter house!

Bah, that's true with every head coaching job.

The moment you're hired, the clock is already running out on you.

• Like 1

@Adamflyers - what other options are there? You can't change the whole team. This team has sufficient talent that it should not be 0-3, and that coming on the heels of a poor showing in pre-season. Changing the GM at this point isn't going to do anything. When the team lacks chemistry and continues to display the same on-ice problems, where else do you look besides the coach? And Lavi is the third longest tenured coach in Flyers history, it's not like he didn't have a good run here.

It seemed very clear to me that his system wasn't working, and I think the players knew it. I doubt Berube is the answer, but at least management has recognized that there is a disconnect between what the coach was selling and what the players were buying. Same thing happened to Lavi in Carolina, and I would say it happened when he was coach of the US Olympic team. His 2006 team was a serious disappointment in my opinion. I think he's one of those guys that just has a limited shelf life.

Changing the GM may not do anything immediately, but changing the GM is what needs to be done.  Homer has made too many mistakes and his head should have been on the chopping block along with Lavi's.  I get that Lavi was on a short leash after a tough season last year, but to just consistently blame the failures of the Flyers on every coach that has come through is getting old.  I'm not buying it any more.  We all appreciate the willingness to spend money from the ownership and get big named players, but how can this team ever grow under a system when the players and coaches are changing every few years.

I'm not saying a new system may not be needed, but come on, how many times do we have to go through this?

• Like 1

Bah, that's true with every head coaching job.

The moment you're hired, the clock is already running out on you.

Obviously, but Eskin just called them out on the point I was making...they have gone through something like 11 coaches in the past 20 years. I don't have the exact numbers and I don't always use Eskin as a good source, but I'm pretty sure his numbers are close.

This team does not have the talent to compete with the best teams in the East - it's that simple.

Flyer fans consistently overrate our team, this year is no different. 

Maybe Berube can instill a different system that puts more emphasis on neutral ice pressure/trap, forcing turnovers and getting odd-man breaks to make up for the lack of talent we have up front.  We don't have the horses to run and gun with a lousy back check by slow undiscplined players and older D men who will wear down(my impression of what Lavy wanted).  This team hasn't been able to score 5 on 5 for two years now, so why not run a Roger Nielsen type system until we can upgrade our forwards?  

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

@Poulin20

berube looks terrified.

and snider just said a fresh perspective is specifically not needed.  angrily.

How dare the press ask Snider a question.  Ha.   The emperor looked pissed.  

And Berube left a little to be desired in his only response.  "They need to play better team defense.  Need to play better off the puck".  Holmgren says Berube is one of the great hockey minds in the game.  Hopefully so, but gotta say I'm shocked to hear that.

This team does not have the talent to compete with the best teams in the East - it's that simple.

Flyer fans consistently overrate our team, this year is no different. 

Maybe Berube can instill a different system that puts more emphasis on neutral ice pressure/trap, forcing turnovers and getting odd-man breaks to make up for the lack of talent we have up front.  We don't have the horses to run and gun with a lousy back check by slow undiscplined players and older D men who will wear down(my impression of what Lavy wanted).  This team hasn't been able to score 5 on 5 for two years now, so why not run a Roger Nielsen type system until we can upgrade our forwards?  

Just my 2 cents.

Wait a minute...   some might say it is panicking :ph34r:

How dare the press ask Snider a question.  Ha.   The emperor looked pissed.  

And Berube left a little to be desired in his only response.  "They need to play better team defense.  Need to play better off the puck".  Holmgren says Berube is one of the great hockey minds in the game.  Hopefully so, but gotta say I'm shocked to hear that.

Sometimes the worst players make for good coaches.  They may not have the physical ability to be one of the best players, but they know the game well and they know how to teach and earn the respect of their players.  I have no idea if Berube is that coach and I not that thilled that we have to find out, but hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 1

Per Sarah Baicker, Berube is not interim coach, he's the new coach.

Then that is plain stupid!  At least look at your freaking option during the course of the season and next off season.....Good Grief :angry:

This is PANIC move alll over it.......

They may not have the physical ability to be one of the best players, but they know the game well and they know how to teach and earn the respect of their players.  I have no idea if Berube is that coach and I not that thilled that we have to find out, but hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised.

see Blysma, Dan.. Quennville, Joel

who knows , maybe it works....

i'll bet Chief doesn't take any lip from these sissy boys though.